Surprisingly funky tracks from unfunky artists

tabiratabira 856 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
Just picked up a copy of this on the bay. TOUGH!

Comments

• most of her stuff is so damn ubiquitous but for some reason that sept 13th album hardly ever turns up in the field. check this one out, its similar and fairly common:

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    tom jones 'looking out my window' comes to mind

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Horseleech said:

Damn I love that! thanks!

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here's one that I always liked:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• gilberto assturd

• esskayesskay 221 Posts

• Gloria Lynne is normally known as a jazz balladeer, but she dipped into the soul well on occasion. Her Canyon album, Happy & In Love (from 1970) had several funky moments. There is one song on Youtube ("I Got To Tell Somebody"), but that's more of a stepping soul semi-ballad than something you'd call funky. Whole album is great.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

• pickwick33 said:
    Gloria Lynne is normally known as a jazz balladeer, but she dipped into the soul well on occasion. Her Canyon album, Happy & In Love (from 1970) had several funky moments. There is one song on Youtube ("I Got To Tell Somebody"), but that's more of a stepping soul semi-ballad than something you'd call funky. Whole album is great.

I have a Canyon 45 of her doing a tune called 'If You Don't Get It Yourself' that's very cool. Is it on that LP?

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    The-gaffler said:
    gilberto assturd
    uh?

• funky16corners said:
    pickwick33 said:
    Gloria Lynne is normally known as a jazz balladeer, but she dipped into the soul well on occasion. Her Canyon album, Happy & In Love (from 1970) had several funky moments. There is one song on Youtube ("I Got To Tell Somebody"), but that's more of a stepping soul semi-ballad than something you'd call funky. Whole album is great.

I have a Canyon 45 of her doing a tune called 'If You Don't Get It Yourself' that's very cool. Is it on that LP?

Yes, I believe it is...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    As far as Blossom Dearie goes you can add much of the "Sings" LP too... which is just a good listen IMO

This thread is the kind of stuff that this forum was on about a lot in 2001, and probably the reason I started checking it!

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    julio iglesias live at olympia
    is hard as f@k.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• I don't have time to post a video right now, but let's just say that if you removed the vocals from the Stranglers'"Peaches," you might have a credible funk instrumental on your hands. And even so...I could hear the vocal version as an R&B hit if you erased Hugh Cornwall's bellowing and had some Ramp-type singers crooning the refrain ("walking down the beaches, looking at the peaches").

"Those Shoes" by the Eagles.

Also, the granddaddy of unlikely funk tracks: "Was Dog A Doughnut" by Cat Stevens.

• More disco than funk, but still...

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    bull_ox said:
    This thread is the kind of stuff that this forum was on about a lot in 2001, and probably the reason I started checking it!

Me too, here's a few that do it for me -

• This one sure surprised the hell out of me.

• and Steve Miller is an obvious one

• steve miller had a lot of funky tracks! id say he was definitely a funky artist

this is my joint

• Black stations used to play "Fly Like An Eagle" and "Abracadabra" all the time, so it's not so shocking hearing him Get Fonky.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    steve miller had a lot of funky tracks! id say he was definitely a funky artist

this is my joint

Yeah Tone California Earthquake is my fucking SHIT. Such a tune.

This is a great thread.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    http://www.wholenutherthing.com/uploads/Apricot Brandy Rhinoceros.mp3

I can't find a clip for it - Bob Seger System - Doctor Fine

• I can't find it on Youtube, but Enoch Light has a nice version of Hot Pants.