Home Recording Strut

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
Do we have anybody making music any more on here? Not just talking beats, but music as well. I've been spending a lot of time recording lately. Maybe we can get a thread popping off where people share what they are working on? Setups.... Tips, etc.

:lalala:

Comments

• I'm finishing up a setup to perform live looping from my turntables using ableton and a midi pedal
    Ableton is pretty awesome.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I've taken a bit of a hiatus from recording. I still do beats daily but as far as full on songs, etc., I've been looking for some new talent. Shit was getting kind of stale.

• yes, i'm still making music (although not really finding much time for it at the moment due to studying for a masters).

also, i'm still using a pro tools 7.something setup i put together a few years ago, so probably don't have much to say about new gear (that said, the new pro tools 9 looks worth it since they've ditched their proprietary hardware stance...)

if you're interested i usually try to upload some bits and pieces here: http://soundcloud.com/neilsomething

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I've been working on tape strictly these days.

I've toyed with Logic but just can't vibe on staring at waveforms.

I'm going to post some stuff later.

Hatters gonna Hatt.

• I'm working with:

Emu SP1200
    Mackie 1402 VLZ Mixer
    2 Technics 1200's
    Vestax 05Pro mixer
    Digi Tech Multi effects pedal
    Tascam 8 track
    Univox Echo Chamber 80
    Trap Dum Kit
    Electric Bass

I have been considering recording on a pc in the near future

• I pretty much just use Logic 9 -- recording / mixing totally in-teh-box. It doesn't bug me at all.

I was working at a studio in Detroit ( allure ) , semi-regularly from Nov 09 to May 10 -- it was great, but to be totally honest, I probably finished half as much there as i did at home. My process has to be quick, simple, straight-forward or i'll lose patience and stop.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    breadwinner said:
    My process has to be quick, simple, straight-forward or i'll lose patience and stop.

MAJOR COSIGN!! I would always get side tracked in big studios by having so many options. I'd lose sight of my initial intentions.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Do we have anybody making music any more on here? Not just talking beats, but music as well. I've been spending a lot of time recording lately. Maybe we can get a thread popping off where people share what they are working on? Setups.... Tips, etc.

Post up some tracks! I'd love to hear em.
    Yeah, I've been jamming with friends and recording music a ton lately. It's a hell of a lot of fun. Mainly keyboard and/or lead guitar.
    I've been trying to break from the computer as much as possible. It really can cramp creativity/spontaneity.
    Most of the music I enjoy is 'computer free' or close to it.

I've been running most instruments through an old Akai tube amp > computer and it sounds a hell of a lot better than direct to the computer. Once I get my reel to reel back from the shop I'll start dumping my percussion tracks through there.

I also prefer any delay reverb to be a REAL hardware unit as opposed to some lame computer plugin ... much easier to manipulate live.

• nrich said:

I also prefer any delay reverb to be a REAL hardware unit as opposed to some lame computer plugin ... much easier to manipulate live.

you should holler @ waves

http://www.waves.com/

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Wish I had time or inspiration after 12+ hour days :|

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    nrich said:
    RAJ said:

DivShare File - shotgun.mp3

DivShare File - black beach.mp3

• I've done some real amateur hour Fruity Loops beats in the past, and am now looking at stepping up a little bit and grabbing Maschine. Anyone have good/bad experience with this device?

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    recording music most days, mainly pop stuff, on an apple mac pro (running logic) with mytek a/d converters

was recording this lady today:

watching her play my rhodes was quite frankly embarrassing. she's SICK!

• Still use the ASR-10 primarily. I started a new record a few years ago, it's maybe 2/3 of the way done, Mostly recorded using an ASR-10 and an Emu Vintage Pro on an old Mac running OS9 and Digital Performer 3. Heh.

Just bought a new Mac, so I'm going to step up to ProTools or Logic, and possibly faze out the Emu module. ASR-10 stays, [kattwilliams]that's my SHIT[/kattwilliams]

btw... just to head this one off at the pass:

Still use the ASR-10 primarily. I started a new record a few years ago,

Yes. Heavy shit takes longer.

Shout out to all my homies on that Compress/Expand function

• ASR-10 is by far the most versatile, complex sampler i've ever used. There is so much 'in there' compared to every other hardware sampler i can think of.

Props to anyone who uses it to its full potential but after being raised on MPC's it does my head in a bit.

• I really like the envelopes and filters on that thing, those are real unique.

Other than that, it's just what I learned on, it's really intuitive at this point for me to chop samples.

I hate the sequencer though.

• I make film/ad music fulltime, after coming to terms of not being the next RJD2-type breakout producer..
    Sequencing - Sony Vegas, Editing - Sound Forge and tons of plugins. Plus a few hardware reverb/compression units.

In terms of tips - heres a really helpful site for those who wanna make some extra cash licensing their tunes out..

http://musiclibraryreport.com

• i just did some recording on the weekend, after a bit of trial and error, i was having some issues recording vocals in the booth, but got em straightened out, i have been working on new beats for an album, but in the meantime i have a shit load of old crap dating back to the late 90's that i havent done shit with, my buddy writes like a fiend way more then i do...so we decided to do a side project and use as many as my old beats as possible and get some shit done while working on our own album...

first session since movnig into this place....went goos wasted a lot of timescrewing with my soundcard though, going to try to record a track a week, once i get a couple more track together maybe i'll throw up some linkages...

• I work as an engineer at a studio in NYC that specializes in hip-hop and r&b.

I also make house productions with my partner as Trap.Avoid...we have a live show that we do using a Roland Tr-707 and 606 along with a Juno-6, Juno-60, SH-101 and Sequential Circuits Pro-One.
    Our first 12" just came out on Dither Down records.

http://www.junodownload.com/products/elevator/1644964-02/

vinyl here:

http://www.groovedis.com/shop/Trap.Avoid-ELEVATOR-12-p-762498.html

• I'm recording and producing a couple of emcees at my home as well as experimenting with synth music. One of my artists has major label interest based on what we recorded here.

Hardware Synth:
    Roland JP-8000
    KORG MS2000

Hardware Drum Machine/Sampler
    Roland TR-808
    AKAI MPC3000
    Boss SP-202

Microphones:
    Shure sm7b
    CAD e-200

Recording Hardware:
    api 512c Mic Pre
    Digi 003

Misc Hardware:
    Technics 1200???s
    Technics Tape Deck

Software:
    Pro Tools
    Reason
    Recycle
    Serato Scratch

nrich said:

Here's what I laid down over the weekend.... a Surf Version of "Sweet Leaf"

• you will not be into this, but fuck it:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I haven't been doing much lately because I am waiting on my new record to come from the pressing plant & want to get that all out of my hair before I start recording new stuff. I've been a bit busy to jam with people too because of work. Hopefully over the summer I can get time to play a bit more.

holmes said:
    I haven't been doing much lately because I am waiting on my new record to come from the pressing plant & want to get that all out of my hair before I start recording new stuff. I've been a bit busy to jam with people too because of work. Hopefully over the summer I can get time to play a bit more.

Cool. Do you have any of your music online at all?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    RAJ said:
    nrich said:

this is great dude! Guitar sounds nice. You playing drums as well?
    Really like the vibe, keep it up!

nrich said:
    RAJ said:
    nrich said:

this is great dude! Guitar sounds nice. You playing drums as well?
    Really like the vibe, keep it up!

Thanks man. Yes I play everything on there... Drums, Bass, Guitar.

This Reverb Unit is SICK! I've had it for a minute but haven't gotten off my ass to record with it.

Laid it down on a AKAI MG 614... that Dante recommended on here a few months a go. REALLY happy with this machine.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    awesome, not familiar with either of those. Need to check out that reverb. I've got a Space Echo and LOVE it, but that's mainly for saturated echo and slap back. Need to look into that Akai as well. I've been mutlitracking using Ableton, but I really like the idea of a purely hardware multitrack. Every piece of Akai equipment I've had has been solid.

• Y'all might remember a dude who posted on here, Shingaling....anywho dude has been recording bands at his house for a minute now and his recordings are nothing short of remarkable...he is a genius with microphone placement...all he uses are some cheap tube pre-amps and a shitty 20 year old roland digital recorder, but he gets some remarkable recordings...its all in the micorphone placement and not doing stupid recording school shit like micing hi hats and under the snare and stuff

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    yeah, that recording sounds pretty good! Is he doing this full time now?

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Raj, how much is a used AKAI MG 614 going for these days? 300-400? Does it use standard cassette tapes?