poutine strut!

vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
after a delightful triple pork poutine [pulled pork, sausage + bacon] at smokes poutinerie, i got to thinkin'....

does the strut rep for the fries, gravy and curd? where's the secret squirrel spot?

Montreal heads stand up?

Comments

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    do i rep??!!!

ALL DAY

• There is nothing greater then a favourite Chip Stand. So it was with tears in my eyes that I watched one of the greats burn to the ground last week..... RIP Jean Burger. Ottawa Poutte heads know the deal.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Poutine spots are on the rise in Toronto in a big way. At work we invented PouRings with one of the chip truck dudes on Campus. Onion Rings with curds and gravy. Death...

I remember Tony's eps in Quebec.

• ha! funny i just had some poutine a few nights ago, t'was mad good!

• Double Post

• What is this and how can I get it into my life(belly)?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    had poutine for the first time this weekend in Montreal

simply amazing

i went safe for the first time with the regular stuff. but my friends had it with bacon, pork and other crazy stuff

can you say perfect 3 am drunk food?

so good

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Ya'll can't deal

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    behemoth said:

can you say perfect 3 am drunk food?

so good

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    never thought i'd see a "poutine strut" thread in my lifetime

• this is one of the spots that are blowing up the 416 with fattening goodness. place is like a license to print money. i've even been strongly considering buying a franchise.

Smoke's Poutinerie

• i usually hit the BK... put some on a whopper...
    LOADS of pepper...
    plain is best.

• I've never had poutine.

I was also never sad about it until I read this thread.

• barjesus said:
    What is this and how can I get it into my life(belly)?

poutine is simple.

hand cut fries + cheese curds + gravy.

after years of that simple and delicious threesome, alot of poutine boutiques [poutiques?] have been popping up with new takes on the formula turning it into a meal onto itself. chicken curry poutine, meatball marinara poutine, veggie nacho poutine, prime rib poutine, duck confit poutine, etc....

• how to get into your belly?

plane ticket:

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    barjesus said:
    What is this and how can I get it into my life(belly)?

poutine is simple.

hand cut fries + cheese curds + gravy.

after years of that simple and delicious threesome, alot of poutine boutiques [poutiques?] have been popping up with new takes on the formula turning it into a meal onto itself. chicken curry poutine, meatball marinara poutine, veggie nacho poutine, prime rib poutine, duck confit poutine, etc....

not sure how i feel about all the extra ish. sure, i love bacon, but it's still almost always best simplified.
    no need to get all experimental or yuppify it and charge 12$.
    (however, the 20$ foie-gras poutine at Au Pied De Cochon is one of the best things ive ever eaten)

• let me guess: the locally sourced foie gras was derived from a duck raised solely on poutine?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Not a gravy fan. I usually skip it even on Thanksgiving when my friends are going nuts about gravy and mashed potatoes.

So, when I was in Montreal I just got the fries, no curd no gravy.

We now have a poutine place in Portland, but there is too many other choices for eating, so poutine, like donuts get left off the list.

• i've noticed a bunch of poutine joints popping up but they tend to be really expensive given the ingredients and the portions. a little while ago i had a craving and broke down for a 13 dollar one with "smoked meat" cubes that tasted like rubber.

for my money, best smoked meat poutine ever can be had here:

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I first had it in Burlington, VT when I visited friends at UVM in college. Up there it was called, appropriately enough, gravy fries.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I hear in Russia they call it a "Hot Vladimir."

• DB_Cooper said:
    I hear in Russia they call it a "Hot Vladimir."

and in jamaica they call it Rass-Poutine

• poutine sandwich sounds pretty good

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DOR said:
    Ya'll can't deal

You are absolutely right I can't deal. That looks like fresh roadkill that slipped out from under the tire and landed on your fries through the diner's open window.

Please refrain from eating anything that will make you nap right through my special day and our special date.
    Thank You.

• I don't get poutine. But I always have some in Canada just cuz I feel like I should. Though, I've never had any in Montreal - only Ontario, so I'll reserve final judgement til then.

Doesn't anyone think the ingredients don't work together - it's like, take something greasy, salty and a bit bland (fries), top it with something greasy, salty and a bit bland (cheese curds), and pour over the top something greasy, salty and a bit bland (gravy).

It's a big hot bland mess. Which seems appropriately Canadian I guess (kidding!).

Personally I like vinegar, or catsup or milkshake (or even a SHARP cheese) on my fries. Anything to complement the flavors - not repeat them.

• DOR said:
    Ya'll can't deal

i just noticed the funniest part of that photograph: the side order of onion rings.

• LaserWolf said:
    Not a gravy fan. I usually skip it even on Thanksgiving

DO YOU EVEN PARTY??????

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Just had the foie gras poutine at pied de cochon (foie nuggets, great curds, duck fat fries, foie sauce,regular gravy) and it was the most perfectly layered 5 notes of richness i've had...who knew poutine would be the perfect indulgence vehicle (more than it already was) megarich but not heavy!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    That thing is amazing
    Such a good resto