FLAC?

sindiansindian 68 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
How many of you have switched to using FLAC or other lossless codecs?

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    AAC lossless will eventually win because it's h264, which means there are dedicated hardware decoders for it, industry support, etc

it's already getting there with streaming HD video, it's just the audio world that lags behind because there's so little monetary incentive in pushing towards streaming formats that are CD quality and beyond (we should really be running 24-bit 48k with varying compression, but as long as everything is mastered for 16-bit CDs this won't happen)

Gonna take a few more years of CD death for things to move forward.

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    For people using FLAC or other lossless encoders, have you ever had problems opening an encoded file? I tend to be pretty happy just using WAV files, especially since a 2TB drive can be had for less than a hundred lately.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    JUD said:
    For people using FLAC or other lossless encoders, have you ever had problems opening an encoded file? I tend to be pretty happy just using WAV files, especially since a 2TB drive can be had for less than a hundred lately.
    well flac files are wav files that are just compressed into the flac container..so if you use the flac frontend you can extract the wav files anyways..but no i never had a problem when i opened a file

• JUD said:

I haven't had any problems either (so far). The FLAC container's a bit more convenient for ID tags and the like.