Blossom Dearie Recommendations?

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I have one called "May I come in" on Capitol. Really dig it. I guess this kinda early/mid period stuff of hers, cause I've read that she made funkier records in the 70's? Can yawl break it down fa me?Thanks!

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    you want her first 2 releases on her own Dafodil label.

I forget the title of them, but the second one does have "Vol. 2" in it's name.

There is also the raer LP from '69 with "I like London in the Rain"

I used to have the one she put out on Fontana in '67 "Soon its gonna rain" but someone gave me a lot of money for it, so now it is gone.

Get the first 3 I mentioned and you'll be straight

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

What do these sound like?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

jazzy vocals, warm rhodes.

• Jeff you hellza want Blossom Dearie Sings on Dafodil. It has lots of great tracks but I'm especially fond of "Shadowing You" where she sings, "we could be so happy, you, J. Edgar Hoover and me.... I'm following you.... I'm shadowing you...."

jazzy vocals, warm rhodes.

cool. I really like her singing, so I guess I'd like almost anything she did.

Jeff you hellza want Blossom Dearie Sings on Dafodil. It has lots of great tracks but I'm especially fond of "Shadowing You" where she sings, "we could be so happy, you, J. Edgar Hoover and me.... I'm following you.... I'm shadowing you...."

radd!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Jeff you hellza want Blossom Dearie Sings on Dafodil. It has lots of great tracks but I'm especially fond of "Shadowing You" where she sings, "we could be so happy, you, J. Edgar Hoover and me.... I'm following you.... I'm shadowing you...."

radd!

blossom dearie

• "I'd love you, I wouldn't bug you, except whenever I can...."

"There'll be no escape, I'm getting it on tape and video too...."

I actually think it's "Happy as can be, you J Edgar Hoover & Me..." then, "happy as can be, you the secret service and meeeee...."

TRIPPY

• "i'm hip" is the joint. a couple of versions out there, but one really stands out ... cant remember what lp its on, pretty certain it is NOT the version on needlepoint magic.

program related:
    last time i talked to "the programs" wife i was asking her if they had any blosson dearie and she was like, i think so, in the shop, but you better come buy it quick and pay top dollar cuz some guy in japan just asked us to send over all our blosson dearie. ya, sure,

program related:
    last time i talked to "the programs" wife i was asking her if they had any blosson dearie and she was like, i think so, in the shop, but you better come buy it quick and pay top dollar cuz some guy in japan just asked us to send over all our blosson dearie. ya, sure,

haha!!!

• crink that's f'ken classic!

"so this is a picture of the legendary james brown presenting me with a certifcate of appreciation for inventing funk for him"

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    only Blossom Dearie album i have is Vol. 3. its OK. some cool chill tracks. i'd like to find more

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Two recommendations:

"Figure Eight" and "Unpack My Adjectives" from Schoolhouse Rock.

Otherwise, find the work she did for Verve.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I agree - "Blossom Dearie Sings" is really, really nice. Great arrangements.

"London in the Rain" is a definitely a cool track from the Fontana album, "That's Just the Way I Want To Be" but considering that the LP moves for over $100 EASY, I'm not sure it's worth it. Here's a small edit I did on the song in case you want to hear what it sounds like. The intro drums are extended to a full break but I fade the song out before it's supposed to end.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Sweet; thanks Oliver.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Two recommendations:

Co-sign......

• RafaelRafael 120 Posts

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

such an incredibly dope album....

scooby doo bop bop....

Compton's Most Wanted used that Schoolhouse Rock song she has for the Music To Drive By - Intro.
    That should be her piano playing.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

such an incredibly dope album....

Yup, I have the Vol 2 2LP here somewhere if anybody's interested. PM.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Two recommendations:

So the "figure Eight" track is only on the Schoolhous Rock LP and not on one of her regular albums??

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    a bit hard to find.
    but her Rootin' Tootin' Songs on Hires Hits is quite nice.
    private press raer.
    dug it while i had it.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Record model.

Two recommendations:

So the "figure Eight" track is only on the Schoolhous Rock LP and not on one of her regular albums??

I think so.
    Does SchoolHouse Rock even have an LP?
    I have the SchoolHouse Rock 4 cd bookset and the DVD box. Ive never seen the rekkid.

• Cough.

(Don't worry, I pay to post here). The song I'm Shadowing You is on this album as well for some reason. Personally London In The Rain is the only thing I've heard by her that I really like.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Two recommendations:

I think so.
    Does SchoolHouse Rock even have an LP?
    I have the SchoolHouse Rock 4 cd bookset and the DVD box. Ive never seen the rekkid.

It exists. The Multiplication Rock soundtrack was on Capitol, ca. 1973.

• RafaelRafael 120 Posts

Record model.

• Compton's Most Wanted used that Schoolhouse Rock song she has for the Music To Drive By - Intro.

...and Diamond D of course

I never noticed that was Blosssom Dearie singing on Figure 8.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Record model.

why y'all blowin up Dee Rock's spot?

Compton's Most Wanted used that Schoolhouse Rock song she has for the Music To Drive By - Intro.

...and Diamond D of course

I never noticed that was Blosssom Dearie singing on Figure 8.

Yeah,when i heard her jazz joints later in life I instantly had flashbacks of the Ice skater cartoon.

Diamond uses Figure 8 as well or another SHRock song? I forget? Red Light Green Light 123.