Restaurant Strut

2»

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    I was just in Richmond, VA and visited a couple of my favorite restaurants.

Mamma Zu - Italian
    I can't even explain how good this place is. If you go, I'd recommend skipping lunch and getting there 10 minutes before they open at 5:30. The portions are huge so don't over do it on appetizers.

Black Sheep - Southern
    Ive only been for breakfast/brunch but Ive heard everything else is just as good. The fried catfish with crawfish hollandaise and stone ground grits and andoulle sausage is unbelieveAble

I'd get into NYC spots, but that's been done to death here

Haven't been to Mamma Zu in ages. Tis the bomb.

• When I visited Richmond with Tom we hit Mamma Zu's on the way out of town... I heartily cosign its awseness.

• DB_Cooper said:
    The_Non said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    The_Non said:
    Western Mass-
    Don't come, the food sux. But if you do, go to Athena's Pizza in Amherst, but don't order pizza

When did this open? It was all about Antonio's when I was in college.

I dunno. It's on University Dr, not on Pleasant St thru town, and I'd rather go to Antonio's for a piece of pizza, (especially because Athena's is Greek style pizza) although I think pizza in this area generally sucks. Antonio's to me is a competent piece of pizza in an area that doesn't know how to maka da pizza.

I can get behind that. I'll take El Buen Gusto over Antonio's most days. Of course, I'm working from collegiate bong-hit bias memories.

isn't that the same Antonio's that there's a branch of in Providence?

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Udupi Palace in Berkeley, CA on University Ave for South Indian. An unpretentious place with low prices.

Village Bakery in Davis, CA. Their pizza is among the best I've ever had. They supply bread to a bunch of restaurants in town, so you know it's good.

• Options
    I've only been to the Rochester and Syracuse locations, but Dinosaur BBQ is great. They're also in Harlem and Troy.

• Some Memphis reccomendations:

BBQ
    Ribs: Cozy Corner. You won't find a better slab of pork ribs anywhere else. Amazing. They also do a BBQ Cornish game hen that is great.

Pulled pork sandwich: BBQ Shop. There is a lot of debate ovet whether the BBQ shop or Paynes has the best pulled pork sandwich, but I'll go with the former mainly because the sauce there (the "hot") is simply the best BBQ sauce you will ever wipe off your chin. I think about the sauce often, even when I'm not hungry. So good.

Fried Chicken:
    3 spots in town offer up ridiculous fried chicken and all three are unique in their own way...

Gus's: prolly the most famous chicken joint in town. You order by the piece and can get a 40 if a reg 12oz ain't gonna do it for you...and it won't because this some spicy ish with an insanely crispy coating. So good.

Uncle Lou's: dudes slogan is " if the colonel had my recipe , he'd be a general" This place's crown jewel is the honey dipped ish. You'll also freak the fuck out on the honey butter biscuits. Go ahead and get the dozen, cause I don't know anyone who has just eaten one biscuit.

Miss Ellen's Soul Food: proper pan fried chucked and all the sides rule. Also the meat loaf here is some of the best i've had (although you better like ketchup on it, because that's the way it comes, and Ms. Ellen doesn't care if you don't want it, it comes with ketchup. Case closed)

other spots:
    The Kitchen: European classics (beef bourginon(sp), coq au vin, pasties, etc) all made from locally sourced meats and veggies. Reasonably priced as well.

Pho Vietnam: best Pho and egg rolls in town. Their Vietnamese beef stew is amazing as well.

Las Tortugas:
    Deli Mexicana. Millionaire from Mexico City gets tired of not any proper Mexican food in town and opens up own spot related. All ingredients purchased fresh that AM, EVERYTHING made from scratch. Caveat, these guys are the taco/torta Nazis in town...will not put up with any shenanigans of your wanting sour cream, cheese dip, etc. They keep it central Mexico authentic as hell and have thrown people out for folks wanting aforementioned items. I guess when you are rich and you open a spot you can do what you want. After you have had a milanesa torta though, you'll help him throw a dude out who insists on having some some sour cream on his taco. We are pretty lucky to have a spot like this in a place like Memphis.

Breakfast:
    Brother Juniper's: best home fries anywhere. Get the Monte Cristo and then go home for a mid morning nap. Great. Get there by 8 on the weekends or you'll be waiting for at least an hour.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Cozy Corner, Miss Ellen's Soul Food
    I loudly second these recommendations.
    E, how do you rate the fried chicken at Stein's? I was down.
    Do you ever mess with Interstate?

Memphis is my fave food town after KC, so much to get into in both cities.

• Stein's has been on my to do list for a minute, heard good things about their meat-and-three as well. Interstate has some great BBQ nachos, the only thing I fusk with there, but the rest will do in a pinch.

DCarfagna said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Cozy Corner, Miss Ellen's Soul Food
    I loudly second these recommendations.
    E, how do you rate the fried chicken at Stein's? I was down.
    Do you ever mess with Interstate?

• DCarfagna said:

Good lord man, get thee to New Orleans!
    But yeah, cosine on Gus's.