HOT SAWWWWS (Part Deux)

2»

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    roostersauce all over my eggs this morning, ingesting the whole fowl family

add chicken meat tomorrow to eradicate the species?

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    [

These two are definately my favorites!

El Yucatero for mexican, BBQ, sandwich and general use

Srirachas for all things Asian

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Damn batmon beat me to it. I've been meaning to post up some melinda's all day, but it's been wilde busy. That's my shit, and its stays on the fridge door, next to cholula, cock sauce, and tabasco. I think Melinda's has a different vibe because its carrot based.

And I also gotta cosign the hot sauce segregation; any of you dudes putting cholula on asian food, or cock sauce on spanish food? Cause that's just not right to me..

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    Grandfather said:
    I eat my chinese food with a mix of some siracha, hot mustard, and soy sauce

Have you tried tamari insterad of soy sauce? It's more delicious!

Yup but i have the Organic Shoyu from the same brand.

Shiiiit Soy Sauce could get its own thread.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Caribbean raer

yes please

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Almond said:

My cousins and I used to make up stories about how Senor Tapatio had a falling out with his wifey and she was like, "Just watch, I'm going to create a sauce of my own and all the people will love it." That's why we have Cholula.

Seems like it was just yesterday. So young and optimistic.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    ^^^^^^ YOU WIN AT LIFE

batmon said:
    Not another Siracha thread. Shit is like Ketchup in 2010.

The whole Melinda's Line is the shit.

Yeah, it's pretty average / go-to stuff. Nothing exceptional at all, and I have to say it's one of the least-spicy habanero sauces out there. I remember the first time I bought that stuff I used a 1/3 of a bottle on a plate of scrambled eggs and potatoes.

:weaksauce:

Flavor is great, though. ;-)

batmon said:

Yeah, it's pretty average / go-to stuff. Nothing exceptional at all, and I have to say it's one of the least-spicy habanero sauces out there. I remember the first time I bought that stuff I used a 1/3 of a bottle on a plate of scrambled eggs and potatoes.

And Siracha and Crystal is Hot???

• I fux with Melinda's, El Yucatan, all those. I love hotsaws.

Srs question is there a "Hotsauce of the Month Club"? Or at the least a hotsauce blog? I could try a different one each day I swear. Come up with a rating system, categorize them, etc.

If not, anyone in here want to start one with me?

batmon said:
    batmon said:

Sorry dawg, those two ain't advertised as "Habanero Hot Sauce". Habanero should be a tier above the rest vis-a-vis spiciness.

b/w

• any u dudes like gochujang?

its like miso and hot sauce thats been fermented and sweetened. its that red shit u get with a thing of extra crispy dolsot bidi-bidi-bops. i mean, its not gon put hair on your bojis like some habanero what nots, but a thing of gochujang and some cucmbers or daikon hits the spot on these hot LA winter nites.

• my dudes at 15th & K hold it down with their own crazy ass hot sauces for days

musica said:
    batmon said:
    batmon said:

Sorry dawg, those two ain't advertised as "Habanero Hot Sauce". Habanero should be a tier above the rest vis-a-vis spiciness.

Which version of Melinda's did u use?

This one?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Once you start cooking up your own hot sauces there's no going back to any store bought stuff. So much fun to play with colors and flavors, all three kinds I have around right now also make excellent Micheladas.

Left: Green Habaneros, onion and garlic, sauteed in coconut oil (bought directly from the producer). I blended a shitload of raw cilantro along with the sauteed chilies etc, seasoned everything to perfection with lime, salt and a bit of cane sugar, then let it just boil up for a few seconds (not too long or you lose the beautiful green color), put it in mason jars, closed these and put them in boiling water for ca. 10 minutes. made a large batch of this last December, still tastes totally fresh...

Center: Beautifully deep red, Peruvian chili with striking black seeds (which I removed). I caramelized these with the usual onion and garlic but also added some red beets which intensified the color and added a great, delicate sweetness. No sugar needed, but I added some intensively reduced, home made beef jus and as always seasoned with lime and salt.

Right: This is another Peruvian chili (Costa Ricans don't like spicy food so I have to count on the Peruvian and Mexican immigrants for most things culinary related) which I combined with caramelized carrots, onions and flame roasted red peppers (that's where the black specks are coming from). Seasoned with honey and lime. Hmmm....

• I've been making fermented chili paste from a recipe I got from a friend. It also great in micheladas, meat marinades, etc. I wouldn't use it as a hot sauce on a taco or eggs or anything like that -- works better as an ingredient in other sauces, stews, and marinades.

Get a bunch of thai chilis (red and/or orange) an cut them in half lengthwise.

Stir them up in a bowl with kosher salt, sugar, a garlic clove or two, and large pinch of toasted cumin seeds.

Cover and put in the fridge for a month or two, giving them an occasional toss toss.

they should be nice and fermented -- take them out and throw in a blender with some rehydrated dried chilis (you could try whatever, but the recipe calls for Guajillo) and a few tablespoons of neutral vegetable oil (grapeseed or corn oil works).

edit: here's the original recipe http://chefjacques.wordpress.com/2010/12/21/fermented-chile-paste/