HOT SAWWWWS (Part Deux)

discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
Folks were starting to drop some knowledge in the Collection thread, so let's do this proper-like.

What's in rotation in 2010?

I try to keep a nice balance between Asian / Southern / Mexican and here's a few classiques I always keep in stock:

I am a habanero sauce fanatic, and this is one of my faves (OG Mayan recipe!)

Two Srirachas (the paste and the "chunky")

Chimichurri (best made fresh)

Plus the obligatory (try this stuff mixed into some mayo for a great artichoke dip / sandwich spread!)

I also keep some of those pickled Thai peppers in a jar on the table for easy access.

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    HOT SAWS, BRO!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I don't like my food to be that spicy, but Miss Louisiana has helped me kick a number of bland vegetarian meals up a notch. I love adding hot sauce to soups and stews.

My cousins and I used to make up stories about how Senor Tapatio had a falling out with his wifey and she was like, "Just watch, I'm going to create a sauce of my own and all the people will love it." That's why we have Cholula.

• ok, so tapatio has always been the go to, but i used to get down with valentina as a second option. but within the last year, in nyc at least, the tapatio i've bought or had in restaurants tastes EXACTLY like valentina. I swear I'm not tripping. Tapatio must have been bought out and they're putting the same sauce in both bottles. someone help testify so i feel like i'm not going crazy.

sriracha on the other hand is too brilliant for words.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    sneakyp said:

sriracha on the other hand is too brilliant for words.

sriracha words

I'm on the rooster pretty hard right now, along with the green tabasco.

• Local heat.

• i mostly fuck with

tapatio
    valentina
    bufalo
    cholula
    green tabasco
    regular ass tabasco

• This shit tastes gooood in soups and stews.

Looking forward to trying other hot sawwwes from this post.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

Any one have any recommendations on mustard based habanero sawwwses?

• sneakyp said:
    ok, so tapatio has always been the go to, but i used to get down with valentina as a second option. but within the last year, in nyc at least, the tapatio i've bought or had in restaurants tastes EXACTLY like valentina. I swear I'm not tripping. Tapatio must have been bought out and they're putting the same sauce in both bottles. someone help testify so i feel like i'm not going crazy.

Where do they sell Tapatio out there? My little brother practically begged me to bring him out the largest bottle I could find when I visited him 'cause he couldn't find any in the city.

• dukeofdelridge said:

I'm on the rooster pretty hardsco.

pause-worthy material if ever there was some.

• i almost exclusively fux with Crystal.

• willie_fugal said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

I'm on the rooster pretty hardsco.

pause-worthy material if ever there was some.

Whoa! Good catch!!

• i go hard for the cock sauce!

• dukeofdelridge said:
    sriracha words

I'm on the rooster pretty hard right now, along with the green tabasco.

nice article. but et tu New York Times?

Like many immigrants of his generation, David Tran???s journey from Vietnam to America was epic.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    musica said:

I am a habanero sauce fanatic, and this is one of my faves (OG Mayan recipe!)

Yea, I have this one the shelf and just had it this weekend with eggs - so good.
    I love this one by El Yucateco, too.

I have a jar of homemade chilis in sesame oil and like most folks, I switch between these two

There is also some homemade Guyanese pepper sauce in the fridge from my friend's Mom, a few local hot sauces I got at farmers' markets, mostly of the Caribbean persuasion.

This is the hottest bottled piri piri I've been able to find so far, if anyone can suggest something else actually hot with great flavour - please let me know!

Chilli coriander chutney, Patak's Hot Lime and Chili Chutney - I've tried some smaller brands for Indian chutney, but the flavour was not great, Tabasco and Frank's.

What I'm missing now and need to re-stock is Italian bomba.

Not sauces, but there's the regular chilli flakes and various powders in teh cupboard, too.

I am also a fan of using scotchbonnets to cook with and fresh bird chilis, etc. on the side to munch on as you go along.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    El Yucateco is a staple around out house - as is Matouk's:

• bassie said:

i'm quite addicted to this. it goes on everything, eggs, steak, turkey sandwiches.. i caught myself putting a spoonful in some tomato soup this weekend and it gave it a lot of depth.

but i don't understand what the difference is between this and classic . i like the chunky texture.. but is there more garlic put into it than regular sriracha sauce?

• i rep heavy for the hula girl sauces, they have become a staple xmas gift...

i'm hungry, will be hitting the local cuban spot for lunch

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    bassie said:

This is good but it comes to this style of hot sauce I prefer the Sambal Oelek, although they are very similar.

Sriracha is great but that shit is like ketchup to me. I need more of a kick. However, it's great to dip your popcorn in.

Mostly though when it comes to hot sauce, although with some dishes I love a vinegar based sauce, I tend to lean towards the Scotch Bonnet based. When we go down to St. Martin each year we end up bringing back about a year's worth of this local stuff this one dude bottles up. Fantastic, like mind-blowingly good, and dumb hot - but such amazing and intense flavors. The closest that one can find that's a pre-packaged brand is called Kalina's but I don't know where to get it. This is the only picture I found on the internet of the bottles:

Some people are like on some it has to be heavy on the heat / scoville scale but IMO if you don't have a distinct flavor that doesn't get accentuated by the heat you're just not doing it right. To be honest there's some of the Blair's that is pretty good even though it's a mass produced joint. Some of them shits are fucking hotttttt too.

But my take on hot sauce is it's like spaghetti sauce. Ragu in the jar - if you're hungry that's absolutely fine but understand exactly what it is. Now the shit that is homemade in the kitchen with fresh ingredients and care- that's worth writing home about.

• I almost never use hot sauce. I down always have Siracha and Bufalo

selperfuge said:
    bassie said:

i'm quite addicted to this. it goes on everything, eggs, steak, turkey sandwiches.. i caught myself putting a spoonful in some tomato soup this weekend and it gave it a lot of depth.

but i don't understand what the difference is between this and classic . i like the chunky texture.. but is there more garlic put into it than regular sriracha sauce?

Funnily, I find the smooth one has more depth taste-wise, but not as much heat. I don't think I've ever compared ingredients, but want to say that the smooth one is a little more sweet.
    Truth be told, neither has that much heat imo, but is part of the flavour package with Asian meals at this point.

• I eat my chinese food with a mix of some siracha, hot mustard, and soy sauce

Grandfather said:
    I eat my chinese food with a mix of some siracha, hot mustard, and soy sauce

Have you tried tamari insterad of soy sauce? It's more delicious!

• Caribbean raer

This one is really good too

And can't find a bigger picture, but Jerome's Hot Sauce is thee shit

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Tabasco
    Red Dot aka Louisiana Hot Sauce
    Crystal
    Valentina
    Zaaschila
    Pickapeppa

...what I've got on hand right now.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Am I the only one here who rides for Costa Rican Melinda? Shit's got hearty flavor. It might even count as part of the food pyramid.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Not another Siracha thread. Shit is like Ketchup in 2010.

The whole Melinda's Line is the shit.

and ive been makin my own for a minute.
    A Roasted Habenero & Carrot joint and a Smoke Jalepeno joint.

batmon said:
    Not another Siracha thread. Shit is like Ketchup in 2010.

Yea, so other than chili in toasted sesame oil you find on some tables - what is a bottled Asian hot sauce with actual heat??

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    batmon said:
    Carrot

:freeway:

• I ride for Melinda's XXXXtra Hot.

I bought some home made hot sauce from some lady at an African festival in Prospect this summer, and it was dumb hot. But when I went to use it a second time a few days later, I opened it and it was bubbling, which might be botulism. Watch out with that home made shit folks, get a pressure canner.