1200s Prices.

sindiansindian 68 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
This has probably been discussed already, but have you seen how much new 1200s go for these days? I was looking for a cheap listening turntable, and I stumbled across the prices for the Techs. An mkII goes for $850 now. When I bought mine, they went for $450. I'm glad my 1200s are still solid.

Ouch.

Comments

• back in the early 90's when i got my pair they set me back $2000 w/ tax and everything..

• The 1200 that I have had for 10 years + just crapped out on me. I took a look to see how much a new one is and I was shocked to see they had gone up to $800 new!!!! I got mine for $400. Crazy!!!!

• sindian said:
    This has probably been discussed already, but have you seen how much new 1200s go for these days? I was looking for a cheap listening turntable, and I stumbled across the prices for the Techs. An mkII goes for $850 now. When I bought mine, they went for $450. I'm glad my 1200s are still solid.

Ouch.

Just realized that I basically repeated exactly what you said. Sorry.

Bottom line - I agree...shit's nuts

• TheKindCromang said:

Just realized that I basically repeated exactly what you said. Sorry.

Bottom line - I agree...shit's nuts

No need to apologize. It definitely bears repeating. A lot of places seem to be out of the Techs. Turntablelab's out, and so is Agiprodj, and many of the places Google suggests. PSSL still has them.

Maybe there's some truth to the rumors.

• I know nobody wants to hear this, but when 1200s were in the $450 range they were basically way underpriced. Compare them to other units at that price and it's night and day.

$800-$900 is probably what they should cost, all things considered.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    back in the early 90's when i got my pair they set me back $2000 w/ tax and everything..

Yeah but you're in some Other Place, correct?

• i remember about a year ago seeing them real cheap on craigslist. used fo course. but im talking under $200 regularly

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    they are sitting right now in STACKS in Japan for $100-300 a piece 2nd hand, all varieties... mostly mint-ish condition...

I might cop a few while I'm out there...

peace.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I just got a m3d in great condition at a pawn shop for 80 bucks, you just have to keep your eyes peeled.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    They were selling ridiculous amounts of them 10 years ago to wannabe-dj-dudes, who will now all be the wrong side of 30 now and looking to settle down, so I can't believe there's not a fair few secondhand units about.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What the life expectancy of 1200s?

Depending on usage - Homeplay vs at the club.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    They're pretty damn rugged. I bought mine secondhand and cheap many years ago, they had been pretty abused and weren't in working order. I paid a few quid for the local hardware store to fix them, and they've never let me down since. They've been to many house parties and even survived a flooding.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's the magical power of the magnets.

• The used market is littered with the 8-12 year old technics that people want to get rid of now that their 30s are here and being dj isnt a priority or dream anymore. Ive seen 200-400 dollar prices all the time on craigslist.

10 years ago every music mag had multiple turntables, cartridges,mixers, etc etc....but now its all serato,mp3 mixers. Hardly anyone is purchasing technics new i'd gather. This along with the news every month that they are stopping production all together or at least on some models is somehow related. Unfortunately, i dont think the turntable is gonna swing back around again in the dj community.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/money/moneymanagement/pricing/article66010.html

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    $850??? I got a brand new pair of black 1210 MK2's last year at Guitar Center for $900 w/ tax. They had the gold / black special edition ones for $800.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I just found a pair of M3D's on Craigslist for my son and I got em both for $250.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Bought mine brand new in the 80's for $220.00 each. I still have 'em!

• musica said:
    $850??? I got a brand new pair of black 1210 MK2's last year at Guitar Center for $900 w/ tax.

Now hold it right there. TWO new for $900???

I wanna get a new MK5 and it will be about $950 for one.

• DeeRock said:

Friend of mine still has his pair from 1985.

• Like I said, one my old 1200s crapped out, for good - and I was in a bind. Two weeks away from a wedding job I had to get something so unlocked up one of these - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1289780929&sr=8-2

Definitely not as reliable as a Technics (the tone arm is kinda weird) but for under 200 new?!?! Anyone else own one?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    CinisterCee said:
    DeeRock said:

Friend of mine still has his pair from 1985.

I still have mine from 1989