Goddamn Willie Tee is awesome

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
I wasn't really up on this dude until someone played me his 'sweet thing' 45 a few months back, but after hearing that I heard this... this may be my favourite soul song EVER

KILLER stuff. Was this guy involved in anything else this awesome?

Comments

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    His im Only A Man Lp is dope and well worth picking up.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    His im Only A Man Lp is dope and well worth picking up.

Absolutely, loved that album since the first time I heard it. No Youtube apparently but Loneliness is a great slice of soul.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Thanks guys - I was aware of this record but didn't know anything about it. I shall coppeth.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    I wasn't really up on this dude until someone played me his 'sweet thing' 45 a few months back, but after hearing that I heard this... this may be my favourite soul song EVER

Wasn't the intro also used for an Eddie Bo song?

Damn... really? I'd like to hear that if it's true.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Yeah it reminded me of a hook in Gatur's 'Cold bear' tune, also written by Willie Tee... so, no coincidence there.

• leon said:
    Kinetic said:

Wasn't the intro also used for an Eddie Bo song?

No b/w check out his early Atlantic 45s. "Walking Up a One Way Street" gets a lot of shine on the Northern Soul and Beach music scenes.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Kinetic said:

• You CANNOT have a Willie Tee thread without mentioning his 1965 hit "Teasin' You." Did he do anything else as great as "First Taste Of Hurt?" Yes, this song right here.

I'd post it here, but all the versions on Youtube are either fairly recent live videos or answer records (don't confuse this with "Teasin' You Again").

• later period, but one of my favorite songs, period

• Thanks for reminding me. Almost forgot how much I love this one. His best song in my opinion..

Sweet_Premium said:

Thanks for reminding me. Almost forgot how much I love this one. His best song in my opinion..

This is nice... but it can't be 1965 - anyone got a rip of the earlier track Pickwick is talking about?

• somebody get me a copy of "first taste of hurt" with the alternative b-side "I'm having so much fun" please!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Just because love for Wille Tee should never be missed.

Here's Loneliness off I'm Only A Man

And No Answer Came

Apologies for the crackles, only copy I had to hand. Still love the fact that it's so different to what followed.

• docfish said:
    somebody get me a copy of "first taste of hurt" with the alternative b-side "I'm having so much fun" please!

i'm having so much fun is such a classy tune, same with first taste of hurt, i believe that is the first pressing, one hell of a 45!