The GM @ 20 years

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
Chris put this in announcements and given that it's his curated comp, that's appropriate. But fuck it, it deserves some shine in the bigger forum: http://ubiquityrecords.tumblr.com/post/1483322358/coming-soon-groove-merchant-turns-20

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    People, this comp is the real f-ckin deal. So damn good!

b/w

XL SHIRT COPPED

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Freddy did a great job with the design on this, saw the poster on Saturday at the shop. Great stuff.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Been hearing really good things about this. And I agree, Freddy has been on smash with everything lately.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Looking forward to this & big congrats to all The Groove Merchant crew f/the start-Mike, Jody, Andrew, Dan Prothero, Tom, Chris, Vinnie, etc. The Groove Merchant was an oasis in the desert in the year 1990. We were pretty much the first people here in San Diego to do parties during the Acid Jazz era with our contemporaries being Brass, King King, etc in LA & Groove Merchant crew (Nickie's BBQ, etc), Gerry V. (Massive), etc in SF. Our first parties were @ the original Casbah club here in 1990 & they were called Open Sesame-myself & my partners Nigel Stratton-Steve Haney-DJ Create (Dave Fogg) would spin rare groove, breaks, jazzy hip hop, UK acid jazz, etc & we had a house band that played great cover tunes called Motherlode-this band was the pre-Greyboy All Stars Band with 3/5 of the band going on to the All Stars-other musicians went onto things like Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, Antibalas, Budos Band, Black Eyed Peas, etc. Anyways we would make trips to SF to go clubbing, record shopping, etc & The Groove Merchant was one of the first stops. I remember well the original store down the street with Mike, Jody, & Andrew working there & hearing Dan Prothero in the back making his original Bulldog Breaks records. Good times & the memories are amazing!!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Anyone got a working link to the track list for this? The link on the Ubiquity page seems to be broken.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Looks like ol' Forella is finally gonna see the light of day. It had to happen sooner or later. Glad it was Chris and co. to do it.

https://www.ubiquityrecords.com/shop/products/VARIOUS-ARTISTS---GROOVE-MERCHANT-20-(MP3).html

*link doesn't work directly unless you copy/paste the whole thing

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I still can't get that link to work - any chance of just pasting the track list?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Using my cunning and elite web skillz I managed to find a link to it from the Upcoming releases section:

https://www.ubiquityrecords.com/shop/products/VARIOUS-ARTISTS---GROOVE-MERCHANT-20-(MP3).html

Edit: For some reason the html gets screwed if you post the link (expect it's the percentages) - click through from here instead:

http://www.ubiquityrecords.com/shop/categories/Upcoming-Releases/

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Thanks!

Interesting mix of sounds there. I know it's a different label, but I can't help thinking of the early Ubiquity comps that came out around the same time that Groove Merchant got going, and wondering which, if any, of these tracks would've made it onto a comp 20 years ago... before there was 'folk-funk' and library records were a list of fines on a rolodex. To put it another way, there aren't many out-and-out JB style funk bangers (a couple of Stevie sound-alikes though), or have I not listened to some of those clips all the way through?

Great looking comp btw.

• i definitely recognize a few from Chris' Trim mix.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Thanks!

Interesting mix of sounds there. I know it's a different label, but I can't help thinking of the early Ubiquity comps that came out around the same time that Groove Merchant got going, and wondering which, if any, of these tracks would've made it onto a comp 20 years ago... before there was 'folk-funk' and library records were a list of fines on a rolodex. To put it another way, there aren't many out-and-out JB style funk bangers (a couple of Stevie sound-alikes though), or have I not listened to some of those clips all the way through?

Great looking comp btw.

You're absolutely right; this comp really reflects Chris' tastes whereas the earlier Luv n Haight comps were more heavily influenced by the McFaddens. There's almost no "funky funk" tracks on here; the Forella might be the closest thing to that and that's not even that close.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    looking forward to this, congrats to Groove Merchant.

• daaaamn...the comp sounds stellar. soulful lush folksy grooves
    gonna order post haste

kudos cv

• I really liked this song:

Numonics - You Lied by Groove Merchant 20

can't wait to cop