Vision/eye exercises b/w LASIK.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
My eyesight has turned really bad in the past few years. I never really paid much attention to it 'cause I had my contacts in almost every minute I was awake. I had an eye infection recently which has me off contacts and in glasses for almost a month now. I definitely prefer my contacts, but without them or my glasses, I'm screwed. I can't see anything unless it's literally inches from my face. I'm considering LASIK but I've heard a few horror stories that have me a little scared (cross-eye, vision turns worse over time, etc).

I've read and heard about folks who were able to improve their vision naturally via eye exercises and I'm wondering if my Strut holmeses have any experience with this. I did a minor Google search but I run across too many success stories/testimonials attached to for-profit vision improvement companies. I'm skeptical of those.

If you have any experience, I'd love to hear it. Any links you may have will help too.

I'd also like to hear any first-hand Strutter's experiences with LASIK. Glad you did it? Issues? Worth the cost and risk?

Thanks in advance, friends.

Herm

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I got Lasik, it's rad. One of the best risky decisions I've made. PM if you'd like more details.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Eye exercises cannot change the shape of your cornea and decrease your myopia, however exercises might ease everyday stress your eyes encounter, such as long hours before a computer screen. Like you, I am nearsighted with extremely poor vision; I cannot imagine what it would be like to see clearly without a vision aid (got glasses when I was 8).

I don't mind contacts/glasses, as wearing them and cleaning them is as much a part of my everyday routine as brushing and flossing are. In the long run, Lasik may cost less than or about the same as a lifetime supply of contacts, glasses, contact lens solution and lens cleaner, but my primary reason for not getting it is because I don't want to be deprived off the opportunity to participate in certain eyeglass trends. Not that I've ever worn trendy glasses, but still.

My doctor once told me that every time you get a new eyeglass prescription, your IQ goes up, probably because you're suddenly able to notice new things about your surroundings. I don't know if that's true or not, but the "Wow, look at the leaves on that tree!" moment when you walk out of your eyeglass fitting is always fun to experience.

• Almond said:
    but the "Wow, look at the leaves on that tree!" moment when you walk out of your eyeglass fitting is always fun to experience.

i witnessed exactly one of those experiences in high school. we were all sitting down to a test and this hot/smart girl i kind of had a crush on starts freaking out staring into the distance:

"look at all the different leaves on that big tree! and all the colors!"
    room: "..."
    "sorry.. i.. uh.. i usually think of trees as big triangles"

Herm, i've never tried this and it's probably on some epcot center/nag champa BS but here you go
    http://www.wellnesshour.net/tibet.htm