Let's talk COFFEE and ENERGY DRINKS (nrr)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
Been drinking heavy on Redbull recently to study.

It sucks, but it gets me by. For me, coffee wears off quick, and I get pretty full off it as well.

Never tried 5 hour energy.

Yall got preferences? What are your go-to drinks to get you over the hump?

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    woops, deleted.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    the trick with coffee is to only have an espresso (short black) nothing else ever keeps me awake, the other thing you have to remember with coffee and energy drinks is you need a sugar hit to make them work properly

• Never had energy drinks but coffee is a must for me every morning. My office purchases coffee straight from Guatemala and the proceeds go directly back to support orphans there. Pretty great cause and excellent coffee. One cup black is all I need. No jitters and no 2:30.

• Coffee does it for me everytime, but it also Dehydrates me and can make me feel like I'm on speed (not always such a bad thing). I know it's lame, but I'm a pretty big Rockstar Recovery user. Stimuli and hydration. A lot of times I'll pour Rockstar into Gatorade. I'm a crazy caffeine zombie and need to drink something stimulus related just to get through my day job. You asked for input. That's mine.

• I love coffee.

I actually really like the taste of Redbull and not really any other kind of energy drink. Shit is so bad for you and doesn't really work for me though so I try not to drink them.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Can't do the energy drinks just me me feel like shit and plus they are so bad for you.
    Coffee is the shit. You just need to start drinking espressos. And co-sign on the sugar comment.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    No jitters and no 2:30.
    what is '2:30'?

• about 6 years ago i was a big coffee drinker sometimes 6 or more cups a day, after doing that for a few years i found it started giving me gut rot so i cut down to a cup or so a month..

on the topic of energy drinks, i was so dead against them for the longest time and after a year or so i made the mistake of trying a redbull....and i really liked it, more so for the flavor as i didnt find it really gave me any boost of energy...after about 7 months of having my first energy drink...it too like the coffee started to kill my guts...now i dont drink them at all...

my newer drink of choice over the last year or two has been chai lattes from starbucks and i drink a lot of green and white tea..

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    coffee addicts are so annoying.

• I try to only drink coffee on days I work. I'll usually do a Red Eye in the morning and then a regular cup or two on my lunch break around 2 (restaurant-r). As for energy drinks, I'll do a Monster from time to time if I'm still hungover at 5 PM which is maybe once every 3 months. I still have a 4Loko sitting in the fridge, might give that a go tonight.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    my labmate swears by the 5 hour energy drinks.

i drink coffee only occasionally, so it works when i drink it. i mostly drink tea/juice/water/beer otherwise, no soda.

because i dont ever drink soda, those energy drinks are toooooo sweet. so i dont really mess with them.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    oh right also, im kind of a coffee snob when i do drink it. there is a local coffee roaster/shop called shenandoah joe's. most other coffee is crap.

also co-sign on the espresso. if you need a quick hit, thats the way to do it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Double Americano, little milk, teaspoon of sugar or so.

Occasionally, I'll have a mocha but I find that gets me a bit too speedy (I'm guessing it's the added sugar)

This Chicano cafe I go to a few times a week serves coffee w/ pinole; an interesting (and effective) mix of sweetness and texture.

• i used to drink coffee til' my pee smelled like sugar crisp. i've got it scaled back to one first thing in the am, and one in the evening. after a satisfying meal i crack open the espresso maker, on the dessert tip.

if you had taken my keurig machine away from me two years ago? yeeeeeesh.

• espresso when you need it
    energy drinks when there's no coffee option
    yayo when it matters

• Options

If you've got an espresso machine and decent grinder, I highly recommend a pound of this.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Coffee does it for me everytime, but it also Dehydrates me and can make me feel like I'm on speed (not always such a bad thing). I know it's lame, but I'm a pretty big Rockstar Recovery user. Stimuli and hydration. A lot of times I'll pour Rockstar into Gatorade. I'm a crazy caffeine zombie and need to drink something stimulus related just to get through my day job. You asked for input. That's mine.

Rock* dubiousness... >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_(drink)

• ive seen this at a few south central corner stores and a 7-11 in eastlos. theyre free right next to the lil half/half cups.

its actually kind of gross and the last time i went they were out. the dude at the counter told me theyre gone by 9am. ghetto americanos!

• Options
    grandpa_shig said:
    ive seen this at a few south central corner stores and a 7-11 in eastlos. theyre free right next to the lil half/half cups.

its actually kind of gross and the last time i went they were out. the dude at the counter told me theyre gone by 9am. ghetto americanos!

I've definitely gone that route before, though the 7-11 by me has a different brand but it's probably all the same garbage. Last time I played golf with a friend I convinced him to try it in his coffee, now he pours four of them things in there. Poor fella.

• Options
    cove said:
    coffee addicts are so annoying.

It's true, we all pretty much suck.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Four loko

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    sweatshop said:
    Four loko

Not in Michigan.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I'm three weeks off coffee.

Withdrawal headaches were about three days, and well worth it. My energy level is steadier throughout the day now.

JoeBob says: check it out. I'm liking it. Just kicking a habit feels nice. I am the king of the castle.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    I'm three weeks off coffee.

Same here. I'm tired of the dirty teeth. Plus I was pressing coffee, so my time in the morning was rushed. Now I'm sticking with tea and loving it. Chai, mint, or peppermint + antioxidants. I'm even went over to rosehip, but that stuff is too tarty, just like jasmine tea, its too sour/tart.

Its nice living near three vietnamese stores, always deals on bulk tea like roobis.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I only drink coffee (decaf) after dining out for a fine meal. Last week, I had the most amazing cup of coffee after dinner. At this place, each cup is made to order and steeped for a precise amount of time in a mini french press. It was pretty close to shooting heroin while having an orgasm.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Burns said:

Same here. I'm tired of the dirty teeth.

I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

• 5 hour energy is crazy!!!
    Inexperienced with the shit I drank an entire bottle and was up for 48 hours!!!

• Im definitely a fiend, the spot around my way makes really dope dark roast + 2 shots of espresso, add a little cream and oof so good.

at home I will slay a pot a day so I got a french press to try and keep it reasonable, but I end up just using enough grounds for a pot for a few cups. I steep it pretty quick, like 4 minutes and it's strong as hell and creamy and delicious.

I think the ritual of it is almost as important as the coffee, it's like alright... got my coffee time to stop bullshitting and do work.

Something about energy drinks fucks with me though in a way that coffee doesn't and keeps me up, must be some of the extra shit they add?

• @ amp could be the taurine in energy drinks. i hate the taste... reminds me of penicillin.

coffee is 2 cups a day.... at home, on the road.. maybe 1/2 a pot.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Burns said:

Same here. I'm tired of the dirty teeth.

I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

You don't have to, just know that coffee stains your teeth like a mother fukor.