Visibly Mint, Play Grade NOT!!

BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
I was getting some sales together and pulled this out:

Now I have 2 questions that hopefully my fine Soul Strut brethren can help me with:

My copy of this is visibly spotless. Not even a "paper' scuff. Until today, I've never listened to it all the way through. When I peeped it it plays very noisey. Not cracks and pops, just poor quality. It's a promo copy and I'm just wondering

A) do they all play with such poor quality? Is it just a bad recording?

B) I know it's not a major raer but my man wants to buy it and I'm not sure what its worth. Popsike only turned up 1 copy that sold for $30 in 2003. Is it worth hanging on to or should I sell it?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    B) It ain't a big deal record at all. Help your friend out.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    The_Non said:
    B) It ain't a big deal record at all. Help your friend out.

That's all I needed to here, thanks bruh!!

Now, any info on this God awful quality???

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Have you tried cleaning it? I've bought records like that and the sound usually improves after washing it. It may take repeated cleaning if the record came from a heavy smoking environment. Hope this helps.

• stratasphere said:
    Have you tried cleaning it? I've bought records like that and the sound usually improves after washing it. It may take repeated cleaning if the record came from a heavy smoking environment. Hope this helps.

Could already be a whole other topic, but just curious.... What's your method?

• so breez, what is that album all about, never seen it... is electronic boogie and blues done up moog style a good thing?

• crabmongerfunk said:
    what is that album all about

2 interesting loops and that??s it. the rest is pretty cheesy.
    the soundqality is average but not terrible imo.

i wish there would be a website that lists the soundquality of lps.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Mine plays pretty good. "Boogie Loo" is the joint...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    so breez, what is that album all about, never seen it... is electronic boogie and blues done up moog style a good thing?

IIRC it's a bunch of Chess/Cadet studio guys (Donny Hathaway, Phil Upchurch a.o) doing a Moog cash-in record. The majority of it is cheesy "Popcorn" territory, but 1-2 tracks are cool.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    so breez, what is that album all about, never seen it... is electronic boogie and blues done up moog style a good thing?

It has some pretty funky moments . Plus, Phil Upchurch plays on it. Donn E. Hathaway, that's the way the spelled it on the cover, is on it. So is Ray Pohlman, Morris Jennings and a gang of others. It's a pretty dope LP and I rarely see it, any where.

TheKindCromang said:
    stratasphere said:

Could already be a whole other topic, but just curious.... What's your method?

On super cruddy records I use Windex undiluted and a high quality infant's tee spinning the record counterclockwise. On records that fit the one Breez described I basically do the same. You will be surprised how dirty a minty looking record can be sometimes especially deep groove pressings, and contrary to popular belief, I have yet to harm any of my records cleaning them this way.

I have found that Windex leaves residue on records.

I always apply it to the rag first. How did you do it?

Didn't do it myself, people who I've bought from using it, it has left residue.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    A few months ago Paycheck recommended this:

I tried it after doing the warm-soapy-but-gentle-cleaning thang and I've been pretty satisfied with the results. I've been using this method for about a yr now.

That was a good call JP!!

I have to try the Tuff Stuff. Never thought about using it on records. I think i'll try it on some of my stunt records first.