Music Is Why We Are All Here (RR)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
Found this very cool, unggogleable all-female band LP and I have been digging the hell out of it...

Funky cut.....
http://www.divshare.com/download/13069469-fe0

Ladies from the Canyon
http://www.divshare.com/download/13069427-690

Female Rayne
http://www.divshare.com/download/13069551-134

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    BAN

just kidding

Hi R***

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Last night i heard Angel by Angela Winbush and realized how strong her voice is.

Im going to delve deeper into her solo catalog.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    batmon said:
    Last night i heard Angel by Angela Winbush and realized how strong her voice is.

Amazing song.

• I thought this thread was about that concert my parents met at.

Cosmo said:
    batmon said:

Amazing song.

I realized she only has three solo studio and I have them all.

I kinda wanna hunt down her various productions.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I got an mp3 recorder in the summer and have been recording my monthly sets. The gaps and messy mixes make me cringe and I can blame people talking with me while I'm trying to cue, etc. on only half of those. :/
    Since radio show days, I haven???t heard myself played back in a loooooonnnnng time. It???s fun!

My financial situation has changed drastically and I have been very good about not buying until I get settled in this new climate, but I did come across an Archie Whitewater that I just couldn???t pass on. I have it, but my brother has been wanting one forever. I wanted to surprise him by just handing it to him, but I got so excited, I spilled the beans and told him on the phone.

I will never tire of this record:

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Charles Wright's version of Here comes the sun gave me goosebumps today.

Music R: My 5 year old told me he wants to be Jimi Hendrix when he grows up.

• this record has been ruling the roost here all day long:

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Angela Winbush "Treat You Right" is my jawn as well....

When it came out the credits said it's produced by her. I thought to myself WOW she had a on og copy of the afrolafayette rock band and decided she would sample and loop the drums on the mpc and sing over it? She's a g....

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Found this very cool, unggogleable all-female band LP and I have been digging the hell out of it...

Not bad. That's not that Blackgirls record, is it?

I just noticed the other day that Angela Winbush played percussion on Lenny Williams's Spark Of Love.

b/w

Her gloves on the "I'll Be Good" cover kinda creep me out. I know, "style of the time" and all, but still. Crazy mannequin hands.

As far as music: "Mothership Connection" live in Houston (in like '76, I think?), plus bass everlasting with The Upsetters' "Chim Cherie." Fuck the world.

And R.I.P. Glen Goins.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    DeeRock said:

When it came out the credits said it's produced by her. I thought to myself WOW she had a on og copy of the afrolafayette rock band and decided she would sample and loop the drums on the mpc and sing over it? She's a g....

I think Chuckii Booker produced this.

B/W

"Percapella" ;)

DeeRock said:

ha....i doubt she looped the shit herself. I bet shit was a "stock-loop".
    For her to mess w/ it vs some dude making it for her is cool.....EDIT.....

Cosmo called it....Chuckii co-produced that shit.

• pretty sure this going to get me boo'd outta here and prolly a latte pass in the struts eyes, but man i have been rocking this album for days now...

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    DeeRock said:

Or she was up on UBB...........

• putting together a radio show of classic live hard rock recordings and this is getting a lot of attention at the moment:

why the fugg wont pics post? I posted the cover to UFO "Strangers in the Night"...since I cant get it to show

• Rockadelic said:

Funky cut.....
    http://www.divshare.com/download/13069469-fe0

Ladies from the Canyon
    http://www.divshare.com/download/13069427-690

Female Rayne
    http://www.divshare.com/download/13069551-134

This has gotta be 1980s.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Do Musical's count???

Probably the greatest of all time!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Said it before and say it again. Such a tune...dudes are from Mannheim Germany and I hooked all my friends on this one...

• dj_cityboy said:
    pretty sure this going to get me boo'd outta here and prolly a latte pass in the struts eyes, but man i have been rocking this album for days now...

It's never too late to learn of a classic.

a) "Magic Man" will always be a contender for G.S.o.A.T.

and

b) that is easily their most consistent and listenable LP.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    GenePontecorvo said:
    "Magic Man"

ahhh. one of those songs i've know my whole life, but only recently REALLY discovered it.

• jaymack said:
    GenePontecorvo said:
    "Magic Man"

ahhh. one of those songs i've know my whole life, but only recently REALLY discovered it.
    Same with me for this one. Used to like it as a kid and understood it was a bit strange.
    Hearing it again as an adult,though, it just blows me away. The arrangement, the vibe, the breakdown part.
    Just sends me.....really odd the way some songs really 'grow' over time but many just don't connect.

• sticky_dojah said:
    Said it before and say it again. Such a tune...dudes are from Mannheim Germany and I hooked all my friends on this one...

Nice. I like that. Very subtle. It sounds a bit like a slower version of 'Asso - Don't Stop.'

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    james said:
    Rockadelic said:

Nah....radical lesbian LP from Ohio.......what is the Black Girls LP??

• dang...i didnt think the strut would be feeling the Heart although i do endorse the G.s.O.A.T theory, ...on that same topic, they are coming to Halifax on Feb 3 and i just bought my tickets today...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    james said:
    Rockadelic said:

Nah....radical lesbian LP from Ohio.......what is the Black Girls LP??
    You know, that's funny--I was gonna say that it had heavy Mountain Moving Day vibes.

The Blackgirls record is this stringy, strident, all-female thing from NC. They ended up on Mammoth (word to soulstrut's own DJ Marco, wherever he may be), but early on they had this really anonymous record with a really generic title that's eluding me right now; and like GeneP, I got an 80s feel from the clips, so I thought maybe this was that. I should have known better, though: no violin, and the accents are all wrong. Oh well.

Among a certain segment of Chicago's lesbian population, this is apparently the time of year to bust out the elaborately embroidered and ultimately baffling pop-culture-themed heavy leather bombers. This week alone, I've seen the ladies topping off their all-season Dickies/Crocs combos with: a Warner Brothers jacket with all the characters, a relatively understated black-on-black Harry Potter number with the lightning bolts, and--the capper--this very expensive-looking faux-distressed jernt with writhing full-back heraldry that converged at its center upon a stately rendering of the Wheel Of Fortune board. It's all like some kind of mysterious plumage display. I am intrigued, but wary.

• since we're on the topic, here are a couple of the better songs from some private press lesbian jazz/funk/polka album out of cali called "baba yaga" that i grabbed recently....

"too cool to be true"

"old woman"