Attention, US strutters

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
I'm not usually given to recommending things from this side of the Atlantic, but this is one of the better British movies of recent years, and I understand it opens in the US today.

Further reading here.

Comments

• This is hilarious, Chris Morris at his best once again. Go and see it!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I can't watch the clip atm. Is this "English funny" or "legitimately funny?"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The_Non said:

English funny.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I heartily recommend this to all, American, infidel or otherwise.

Granted, it's no Night at the Museum 2 though.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I watched it a few months back. Liked it. I just thought it started to fizzle near the end. But still.. Good comedy.

• "rubber-dinghy rapids"

• DB_Cooper said:
    non-Gervais/Merchant English funny.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Good point. Those dudes are legitimately funny.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Chris Morris shits on Gervais from a great height.

• hey there's no accounting for taste, but I'd be very, very surpised if I get half the laughs from this bumbling terrorist comedy than I have over the years from Extras, Animals and Politics.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    hey there's no accounting for taste, but I'd be very, very surpised if I get half the laughs from this bumbling terrorist comedy than I have over the years from Extras, Animals and Politics.
    No doubt. Gervais is a funny guy. Steven Merchant too.

There's more to Morris than this film - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Morris_(satirist) just as there's a more to this film than bumbling terrorist.
    I don't know how much of his humour will translate for Americans, I would suggest checking out 'Nathan Barley' though. Although his tv work with Armando Iannucci (director of 'In The Loop') are probably his finest moments.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Finally caught this the other weekend, think it had been hyped a bit too much prior to my watching and, while I enjoyed it, the final balance felt a bit off. Still well worth watching though.

• just saw this last night.

definitely pretty funny, although i certainly missed lots of British in-jokes, not to mention couldn't understand about 10% of what was said sometime...

• Okem said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Chris Morris shits on Gervais from a great height.

Seriously. If you haven't seen Nathan Barley, do so.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    The_Non said:
    first hip hop and now comedy, wow ;)
    so i guess there is no US monty python fans too?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah man... of all things, Americans can hardly get high and mighty about quality humour. Most of the funniest things I have seen in the last 12 months have been English or Australian.