Competitive Digging?

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
what do you do when you are going to look at a collection in a tight space with 3 other people? do i just pull stuff out and make my own stack and hope no one offers money on the whole lot? who schedules 4 people to look at a huge collection in a basic closet space?

you ever fought anyone over records before?

i understand the competitive nature in a fair setting. but at someones apartment?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I had this happen recently, luckily it was a punk collection I was only lukewarm about, and the 3 others were people I was at least friendly with or closer, so there was only mild competition. Although at one point I was like "where did I leave that Wolfbrigade 10"?" and realized it was in my friend's pile, and was all "yo - I pulled that!"

there was an annoying sale a couple of years ago, where a guy was going to sell off his collection in his garage and had an ad saying where and when and STRICTLY NO EARLYBIRDS NO EXCEPTIONS and when I pulled up in my car 5 minutes before the "start time" there were 4 guys, all local collectros/dealers that I know, all with huge piles of records next to them, almost done going through everything. I pulled a couple decent things, but I could see what these dudes had and there was some great stuff of course. And I laughed after watching them all haggle the shit out of dude on records he was already only selling for $1-$4 each, thinking he screwed himself by letting them in before me because I would have paid his price with minimal negotiation, for most of the same records.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    I had this happen recently, luckily it was a punk collection I was only lukewarm about, and the 3 others were people I was at least friendly with or closer, so there was only mild competition. Although at one point I was like "where did I leave that Wolfbrigade 10"?" and realized it was in my friend's pile, and was all "yo - I pulled that!"

there was an annoying sale a couple of years ago, where a guy was going to sell off his collection in his garage and had an ad saying where and when and STRICTLY NO EARLYBIRDS NO EXCEPTIONS and when I pulled up in my car 5 minutes before the "start time" there were 4 guys, all local collectros/dealers that I know, all with huge piles of records next to them, almost done going through everything. I pulled a couple decent things, but I could see what these dudes had and there was some great stuff of course. And I laughed after watching them all haggle the shit out of dude on records he was already only selling for $1-$4 each, thinking he screwed himself by letting them in before me because I would have paid his price with minimal negotiation, for most of the same records.

I hate the low end haggler......if a record isn't worth $4.00 to you it's not worth buying.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:

this collection is mostly disco and in the NYC setting i can picture a few of these others to be people i see on a regular basis but i am not necessarily friends with...

i just picture it being a clusterfusk with people making stacks and looking over shoulders and shit like that. they also want to sell the whole lot. so it isn't like every single person is going to look through it all and bid on it like an auction. i just don't understand it. it is a house call. not a open sale.

i gotta hope i get there first. or hope that people bail. or that it sucks and there is nothing to haggle over.

on another note. i will admit to showing up to sales early but i went an hour early to a "no early bird" sale and at least 4 people had went even earlier and grabbed everything worth grabbing.

Rockadelic said:

I hate the low end haggler......if a record isn't worth $4.00 to you it's not worth buying.

Yeah, I mean, when buying dollarish records I might round down to the nearest 10 on my offer, like "how about $50?" for 56 1-dollar records or something, but dudes starting to pull vinyl out of sleeve to point about abrasions or thinking "I'm buying so many they should be fifty cents each!" get the gate.

behemoth said:

on another note. i will admit to showing up to sales early but i went an hour early to a "no early bird" sale and at least 4 people had went even earlier and grabbed everything worth grabbing.

yeah, no doubt, getting burned by dudes jumping the rope on "no early birds" is on me, I guess if you are hardcore you at least try but I'm just not made that way. I can barely get there on time haha.

I was more mad at the dude who was having the sale than the dudes. I felt like my trust had been with him.

also, what you were saying about your situation reminded me of a post Numero put up on FB a week or two ago about a one-day sale in Chicago of a dude's private collection open to the public. It looked insane. But all I could think of was what a madhouse it would be and easy to get frustrated. I meant to ask on here what Chi heads had checked it out, and any stories.

DP

• A NYC disco collection??? I wanna go! Is this like a craigslist call or something? How do you know there will be other heads there?

If it's a group dig you can only hope that there's enough good stuff to go around and just work quickly. It's usually best to go on digs with people who have slightly different tastes than you to avoid problems. Inevitably somebody else will find something you wanted but then maybe you will find something they want and they will trade. There are no rules...but it's best to not get too greedy and just go with the flow...and be respectful of the space and the people giving up their records!

• SoulOnIce said:
    DP

:pasue:

crazypoprock said:
    A NYC disco collection??? I wanna go! Is this like a craigslist call or something? How do you know there will be other heads there?

If it's a group dig you can only hope that there's enough good stuff to go around and just work quickly. It's usually best to go on digs with people who have slightly different tastes than you to avoid problems. Inevitably somebody else will find something you wanted but then maybe you will find something they want and they will trade. There are no rules...but it's best to not get too greedy and just go with the flow...and be respectful of the space and the people giving up their records!

i know because the person called me and then said she had contacted other people who want to buy as well. non CL.

• Weird...she's scheduling everyone to show up at the same time? Just go early and come bearing gifts! And then proceed to find multiple sealed Cindy Rodriguez and Queen Constance 12"s...

Herm said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    DP

:pasue:

just how we do.

crazypoprock said:
    Weird...she's scheduling everyone to show up at the same time? Just go early and come bearing gifts! And then proceed to find multiple sealed Cindy Rodriguez and Queen Constance 12"s...

she is meeting every one at her fathers house. so it's like she won't be there until a certain time and that is when the other ones are getting there. no way around it. oh well it'll either be good or it'll suck. wouldn't be the first time...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    A few years ago my local spot in Maastricht (ZOOM, R.I.P.) would have the policy of having all new records stacked up every 1st Wednesday of the month. You can imagine what happened when the shop opened [elbow room related]

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I went to something like this recently. the guy told me 3pm and don't come early no matter what. Well I show up at 2pm and 5 of the top local dealers are all walking out with huge stacks of goodness :( FML

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I'm a boutique digger. Never had a problem with other clients in a reputable record boutique.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    DJ Sarasa is gonna win. She can go diggin' with eight arms at a time!!!!!!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I go through this shit all the time. Diggin is a contact sport here in B-More. There's one spot I go to, its a store, and it seems like every other time I hit this place there's this old Greek dude there and he hems up the whole record section while diggin'. He inspects every record in extreme detail and makes a bunch of piles on top of the stores inventory like a maybe pile, a not sure pile, a buying pile, etc. Me and this dude bump heads all the time. We both drop major doe at this spot so the employees, even the main manager just sit back and watch the fire works. It's so annoying.

I'm not even gonna talk about the record shows and all the confrontations I get in to with the Japanese dudes that are there when the sun comes up wearing fanny packs stuffed with doe. That shit is whole other thread.

• crazypoprock said:
    but it's best to not get too greedy and just go with the flow...and be respectful of the space and the people giving up their records!

this thread got me heated last night thinking of a few "open houses" where I arrived half an hour early after explicitly being told NO EARLY BIRDS only to see the usual losers walking away with piles. i used to know one guy who would peer into windows to get the action going early.

BUT your comment reminded me of one dig with a ton of furniture and book people involved. maybe 800 records or so in a basement among tons of other stuff w/ tight confines.. guy next to me goes "glad the dealers aren't here, let me know if you find any soundtracks you don't want." i threw a couple Black Orpheus or Lalo Schifrin whatever his way midflip and when i pulled a Maximum Joy on 99 i go "grab anything that looks like this". guy pulled holland tunnel dive, china shop, and some good no wave and punk titles for me.

pulled some fantasy jazz he didn't even ask for and we got through everything before the other record buyers showed. so you can definitely work with someone, even a stranger.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I sharpen my elbows like Bill Cartwright/To shatter your eyesocket while diggin so you better get your art right

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Thought this was gonna be about SPEED DIGGING, not times you rubbed body parts with dudes who close their eyes and lick their lips 4 times before every sentence. Come on, FMU was just on.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    I'm with Mark on this shit, i am not on some drop by early shit, i'm not in the mood to fight dudes over records/space. I've gone out digging with another person many times and never had an issue, i just concentrate on the space i'm given and don't worry about what they're pulling. Dj Shame and i went out digging all the time, for every raer he'd find i'd pull out a raer as well, it tends to be pretty even ,most of the time.

I don't know about more than 2 people though, but if the record collection is big enough it shouldn't be an issue unless you're super greedy (Not YOU in paticular, just in general).

peace,xavier

well i went and only one person showed up.he was cool. we respected each others space. he pulled a Camille Yarborough and i was kinda like "ahhh damn"

but then underneath a huge stack of records and blankets i found THIS!!!! which i was only charged $200 for in perfect working condition with the amp!!! SO GLAD I WENT!!!

HAPPY DAYS!!!

• That's sick! Nice one.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    jesus christ dreams do come true
    200$
    that is :bananas:

• damn great score!! congrats.

• :woah:

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    behemoth said:
    well i went and only one person showed up.he was cool. we respected each others space. he pulled a Camille Yarborough and i was kinda like "ahhh damn"

but then underneath a huge stack of records and blankets i found THIS!!!! which i was only charged $200 for in perfect working condition with the amp!!! SO GLAD I WENT!!!

HAPPY DAYS!!!

I stopped by a junk shop once to look for records and on my way in I noticed they just got a stone mint fender rhodes 73 stage piano. I said how much and the guy said $150. Sold! I told him i'll take it...

• SoulOnIce said:
    also, what you were saying about your situation reminded me of a post Numero put up on FB a week or two ago about a one-day sale in Chicago of a dude's private collection open to the public. It looked insane. But all I could think of was what a madhouse it would be and easy to get frustrated. I meant to ask on here what Chi heads had checked it out, and any stories.
    CC and I were literally the first people there and, for the most part, it left a lot to be desired. There were a few other dudes that showed up, but they were on some extended crust quest. Madhouse it was not.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    behemoth said:

HAPPY DAYS!!!

WOW!!

regarding the recent purchase of the Rhodes. i have a Fender amp for my guitar with awesome effects on it. it seems obviously possible that i am able to directly hook up the Rhodes to this amp via 1/4 inch cable and use it. however when i do this there is tons of background noise and feedback and it isn't as loud.

any one with expertise know if there is something wrong? or if i need a different cable? or if it is just not compatible?