this 'Carlos the Jackal' flick...

Digger_Phelps_IIDigger_Phelps_II 174 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
anybody else seen this?

tremendous movie.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Please give more details. Are you talking about this classic from 1973.......

This lame movie from 1997.........

Or a different film?

• Might be Olivier Assayas's new Carlos TV miniseries? Assayas is one of my favorite directors, so I'm pretty pumped for this. It's like 300+ minutes, though, so I'm curious if it holds up all the way through.

• Big_Chan said:

This lame movie from 1997.........

Or a different film?

um..hell no! talking bout this one from 2010:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1321865/

.....great flick....plus i didnt know the story.

its a ifc 5 part miniseries...i saw it as one complete movie...copies going round online

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    dwyhajlo said:
    Might be Olivier Assayas's new Carlos TV miniseries? Assayas is one of my favorite directors, so I'm pretty pumped for this. It's like 300+ minutes, though, so I'm curious if it holds up all the way through.

Yeah. Looks good........

http://www.rlsmix.net/carlos-2010-dvdrip-xvid-fragment/

• I am excited to see that.

I enjoyed the book and this ^. If I remember correctly the book elaborates on one "job" vs the Jackal's various capers?

Big Chan if you haven't seen or read you might enjoy this film or book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sunday_(1977_film)

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    yeah, we saw this in the theatre recently (w/ 2 intermissions!). epic life story...definitely worth seeing.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I am so excited about this!
    Assayas is one of my favourite directors.
    I just haven't had the 5hrs to put aside...how sad is that?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    is the 5 hour really worth it?
    i wanna see the two part for cheap on tuesdays instead

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    You don't have to watch this in one 5 hour sitting, no. I think it'll make a fine mini-series.

• can you get this in the states or are all of you just ripping it off the net?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    This already came out as a series, it was 5 hours originally. Cut to 2.5 for the film. The series is out on DVD (and karagarga)

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    I watched a documentary on a couple of months ago, and he wasn't too good as an assassin, he botched most of his hits apparently!

I loved the day of the jackal film as a kid, it's been years since Ive seen it though...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    he botched most shit
    but that made his legend grow
    he used the media to his advantage

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    pcmr said:

Ahead of the game there!

• pcmr said:
    he botched most shit
    but that made his legend grow
    this was close to a haiku
    here's my version of the poast:

his legend is big
    media blew up his cause
    but he botched his shit

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    nice

• just watched the trilogy and i really enjoyed it, thanks for the tip.

soulstrut required viewing!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i watched the 2.5 hour version (I was able to find the full 5 hour miniseries but not the subs for them and considering there's about 4-5 languages operating in the film, no subs = not an easy viewing experience).

I did see some of what was cut and I would really advise folks to watch the LONGER version. I think part of what makes this project compelling are all the little mini-chapters (chronologically pursued) that fill out the kind of radical/leftist/terrorist activities happening over the course of the 1970s. Carlos' story is just one of them and though it's the "main" one, there are larger parts of the story which don't really focus on him specifically and I feel it's a richer experience to see everything rather than the "cut" version that makes some weird lurches (at one point, the 2.5 hour film jumps 10 years with no explanation of what happened in between!)

I'm on the fence as to whether or not I liked Assayas's style of direction, which felt very hands off. On the one hand, compared to say, Spielberg's "Munich" (similar time period and themes), it wasn't nearly as overwrought but on the other hand, Assayas's approach felt more disjointed. I didn't "mind" it but sometimes, I found the jump from incident to incident to be a little jarring after a while.

All said though, recommended. It seems there's been a spate of films revisiting this particular era ("The Baader-Meinhof Complex" for example). Really puts our current "War on Terror" in perspective.

• mannybolone said:
    i watched the 2.5 hour version (I was able to find the full 5 hour miniseries but not the subs for them and considering there's about 4-5 languages operating in the film, no subs = not an easy viewing experience).

try this one, english subs are coded in:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5912796/Carlos.Part.1.2010.DvDRip.XviD..vice
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5914912/Carlos.Part.2.2010.DvDRip.XviD...vice
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5915744/Carlos.Part.3.2010.DvDRip.XviD...vice_

• im sold. how do i go about seeing the 5 hour epic?

• tripledouble said:
    im sold. how do i go about seeing the 5 hour epic?

dl the 3 parts i just posted. each part is about an hour 45 w/ eng subtitles (although there is a surprising amount of english in it) and covers a successive phase in his "career". i watched it over 2 nights. epic shit.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    tripledouble said:
    im sold. how do i go about seeing the 5 hour epic?

dl the 3 parts i just posted. each part is about an hour 45 w/ eng subtitles (although there is a surprising amount of english in it) and covers a successive phase in his "career". i watched it over 2 nights. epic shit.

thx for posting this... just finished watching tonight... really great flick, i am now pissed at myself for not seeing the uncut version in the theatre when i had the chance...