The State of Strut (Ban Edition)

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I'm going to say something, then I'm going to follow my own advice.

Step away from the internet.

You've seen me do it......left the only other site I frequented based on that crazy thing called "principles".

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    stalk the few female members we have here.....

there are females here?!?!?!!

well hello ladies

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    mannybolone said:
    Rockadelic said:
    If posting "Fuck The Republicans" is acceptable and isn't destructive then posting "Fuck The Democrats" should be treated the same way

You're presuming:

1) This forum is a democracy. It's not. It's a benevolent monarchy.
    2) This forum is populated equally with people of contrasting political view points. That's also patently untrue. I'd guess we're 90% left-leaning, with a good number of those on the far, radical left. So "Fuck the Republicans" isn't a "destructive" comment to a community where the political views would generally support the sentiment.

Wow.......after 5 years on the Strut I was convinced that someone who wanted to silence their political opponents voice, was intolerant, non-inclusive and was afraid of diversity was called a Republican.

Stating your politics and saying some dumb shit to get attention is different shit.

If this place was politically diverse than this....

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/search_results/ded9bc4775210e988e8fd88d6acf983b/

....would be considered some dumb shit to get attention.

If the goal is the SS community is to guarantee this place stays a bastion of the Left, then yeah, ban away anyone who isn't left leaning.
    :oof:

• if you break stuff you have to be prepared to pay for it. throw punches in the club and get a chipped tooth. it's real life, erm, son. and stuff. (no its not its an internet site and it doesn't matter anyway)

Rockadelic said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    If we don't ban , then what is the purpose of moderators?

We should ban folks who rip-off record buyers/sellers....stalk the few female members we have here......use homophobic, racist and abusive language.

But for a political view....It blows my mind that people here feel that way.

It must be a generational thing?

"Obama's Katrina" is a Political View?

batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

We should ban folks who rip-off record buyers/sellers....stalk the few female members we have here......use homophobic, racist and abusive language.

But for a political view....It blows my mind that people here feel that way.

It must be a generational thing?

"Obama's Katrina" is a Political View?

As much so as some of these...yeah

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/search_results/37b1b5e4bb15787c9e75e2fdfd73a39a/

"And now your morning Republican D-bag moment"

b/w

"Fuck Republicans"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Fuck the Republicans

Cosmo said:
    Fuck the Republicans

Exactly

And those other guys too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Cosmo said:
    Fuck the Republicans

Exactly

And those other guys too.

They're definitely pussies.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    B/W

Dude, anyone with any sense knows that you're not a dummy by any means. And because you're not one, we know you know the difference between the general rhetoric that goes on here and the type of behavior that Eel displayed.

Cosmo said:
    B/W

Dude, anyone with any sense knows that you're not a dummy by any means. And because you're not one, we know you know the difference between the general rhetoric that goes on here and the type of behavior that Eel displayed.

I feel the same way about you and I'm stunned that you don't see that it was simply that the dude wasn't wearing the right gang colors for this neighborhood.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Cosmo said:
    B/W

I feel the same way about you and I'm stunned that you don't see that it was simply that the dude wasn't wearing the right gang colors for this neighborhood.

I do see that. And yet there are many other people on this board who wear "their gang's color" on this turf. I brought up 3 of them in a prior post, 2 of which I have met in the real world and are nice guys. I don't agree with their political stance, but they are surely allowed to have them and also express their views here. Vitamin is a great case in point and he's smart and respectful. Lamprey dude was just a cock and was here for the sole purpose of causing flame. So if these dudes want to ban him well them fuck him, I don't care either way.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Cosmo said:
    B/W

I like how you broke that down for tha kids.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    doubles

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    Vitamin is a great case in point and he's smart and respectful.

No.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think the BAN function is underutilized

I'd ban a good 20% of the board, starting with the people who clog up threads with lame substance-free "cosign!" type poasts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Jesus fucking christ this is maddening...

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    1. Eels troll on soulstrut
    2. raj pays for the extra bandwidth
    3. price of the classifieds inches higher and higher

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    bassie said:
    Cosmo said:
    Vitamin is a great case in point and he's smart and respectful.

No.

This guy is currently suckling on the corporate welfare teat of Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church, writing hit pieces on J Street and billionaire financier George Soros. So anti-american.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You ever go to a party, get a drink, sit down and take a look around and then you say to yourself "Why I am here?"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

FYI: Moderators DON'T ban. We can't; the function was lost with the big switch over to a new platform. Only Raj can drop the hammer.

Moderators can lock threads, delete threads and delete posts. The latter is useful to getting rid of those annoying "doubles" in a thread but locking and deleting threads are about as popular around here as banning is.

THOUGH - if you look at the poll results, thus far, 3 out of 5 Strutters are in favor of moderated (or more) bannage. I always sensed it was a smaller minority who has real issues with the idea of bans as a forum tool. Maybe that also reflects equal attitudes around thread locking and deletion

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    I think the BAN function is underutilized

I'd ban a good 20% of the board, starting with the people who clog up threads with lame substance-free "cosign!" type poasts

• The ban brought us such treats as Dolo's strut cowards blog and my flashing "my records are worth more than your house" banner ad.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

FYI: Moderators DON'T ban. We can't; the function was lost with the big switch over to a new platform. Only Raj can drop the hammer.

Moderators can lock threads, delete threads and delete posts. The latter is useful to getting rid of those annoying "doubles" in a thread but locking and deleting threads are about as popular around here as banning is.

THOUGH - if you look at the poll results, thus far, 3 out of 5 Strutters are in favor of moderated (or more) bannage. I always sensed it was a smaller minority who has real issues with the idea of bans as a forum tool. Maybe that also reflects equal attitudes around thread locking and deletion

I'm not a HUGE fan of bans in general. The controversial threads is what makes this place so great. We have had some people on here who are the creepy stalker types and they get banned with the quickness. With that being said, I have also put trust in the moderators to report to me who is being a troll.... and I have the final say.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    when someone does something that could lead to a BAN just do a poll and let the board decide if said person should be BANNED or not. That's when things would get real interesting. Remember, SS is a
    "User driven community for the discerning DJ, Musician and Collector"
    . Or is that just bullshit.?? The board should have a say so!

• I'm all for the ban.

I just never notice when people get banned or even know the banned people. I guess i have a good filter for that but why should we put up with trolls for some false sense of democracy on a message board?

• Breez said:
    "User driven community for the discerning DJ, Musician, Democrat and Collector"

Fixed.

street_muzik said:
    false sense of democracy
    :game_over:

Cosmo said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Cosmo said:
    B/W

I do see that. And yet there are many other people on this board who wear "their gang's color" on this turf. I brought up 3 of them in a prior post, 2 of which I have met in the real world and are nice guys. I don't agree with their political stance, but they are surely allowed to have them and also express their views here. Vitamin is a great case in point and he's smart and respectful. Lamprey dude was just a cock and was here for the sole purpose of causing flame. So if these dudes want to ban him well them fuck him, I don't care either way.

This is no doubt a tail chasing excersize but what I get from the above post is that folks who are not left leaning have to know their place and be respectful if they want us to let them stay here.

b/w

Fuck A Republican