Holy Scales!

meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
http://cgi.ebay.com/FUNK-harvey-scales-TRYING-SURVIVE-magic-touch-NM-/260683376243?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3cb1f0a673

hijo de la chingada

lots more copies of that floating around than the Major & The Lieutenants sold in the same auction...

Comments

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Really? Never turns up in MKE. Lots of dudes all over the globe were feinding for it and this was the first on ebay in a real long time.. complete monster of a funk tune.

I'm bummed because I'm fairly certain that this dude picked this up on the cheap from another local dealer while I was in nyc NOT picking this up on the cheap from said local dealer. Had I only stayed put that weekend...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I know of 3 people with the record

• button said:
    complete monster of a funk tune.

Great tune about struggling to get by that now ironically only a handful of dudes w/ deep pockets can afford.

button said:
    I'm bummed

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    see "W.E.L.F.A.R.E."

• meatyogre said:
    see "W.E.L.F.A.R.E."

Sheeeet, "W.E.L.F.A.R.E."'s great too, but "Trying to Survive" just did Ellipsis numbers.

Anyone wishing to swap a Scales for a Castro get at me.

Didn't think so.

I was hoping Mr. Scales would perform this at that Brooklyn Soul Fest last month but no such luck...

maocontent said:
    just did Ellipsis numbers.

Damn near Scorpio & His People numbers. Which means, all things aside, it must be just shy of "mediocre" quality wise.

• I thought it was a great record and checked out a comp with soundclips at juno records and its not his only one . Surprised at that result the relevance of the lyrics maybe?
    But theres question Ive been meaning to ask and the answers probaly well known to everyone on the board but me.
    In the bid history the second highest bidder has three bids for the same amount at the same time.

Also the third highest bidder has two bids at the same time. Is this the result of some bidding software? What is the point if it just bids the same amount. I see this a lot especially on 45s .

I always find bid history interesting reading and a reflection of the true demand for the record. Last week the Thrust lp went for $2000 now I reckon $700 probably a closer realistic value. Two bidders put $2000 down but the third bid was $300. If one of the Kamikazi bidders hadnt of showed up it would have been $300. Suggesting the next one aint going to do so good. Also happened a few weeks ago when that Ethiopian record did $4000+. Good for the sellers.

• "it's not his only one"
    are you saying you weren't aware if Harvey Scales before? Just find it curious that some folks can be up on 4 digit records, the deep and rare and not be aware of an artist that wrote a multi-million seller (disco lady), has plenty of funk and soul classics, "get down", "broadway freeze", "the yolk", "football", records on Stax and Mercury...Harvey is hardly a rare and obscure artist...he played our record shop's Christmas party for chrissakes...does it really take an expensive record to legitimize an artist?

• chrischris 287 Posts
    wow, is that price for real?!? the bidders look legit.
    undoubtedly copies will be coming out of the woodwork now.
    certainly i'll sell my personal copy for that kinda bread....

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Has Mr. Scales been sourced for this? Several people here have done business with him.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I mean, I could see multiple boxes of this mo(u)ldering away in some closet.

• luck said:
    Has Mr. Scales been sourced for this? Several people here have done business with him.

Harvey says he has no records..i've worked with him numerous times, and the first time I did I hit him up for a copy of his cuca release and he said he hadn't had any records of his own in years... In fact he loved going through his singles my DJ partner and I had of his because he hadn't seen them
    in so long....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It's funny how Scales titles that I don't know of will just pop up. I mean, I've seen this one on popsike or whatever but there are a couple other on Magic Touch that just turn up on eBay once in a while that I'm like "wha?" ... and "Track Down" - I've never seen that shit anywhere, although the Dig Deeper dude was going nuts about Harvey playing it when I saw him in Brooklyn a couple years ago.

I really wanted to bid some coin on Meaty's Cuca auction a couple weeks back but had condition fright.

"it's not his only one"
    are you saying you weren't aware if Harvey Scales before? Just find it curious that some folks can be up on 4 digit records, the deep and rare and not be aware of an artist that wrote a multi-million seller (disco lady), has plenty of funk and soul classics, "get down", "broadway freeze", "the yolk", "football", records on Stax and Mercury...Harvey is hardly a rare and obscure artist...he played our record shop's Christmas party for chrissakes...does it really take an expensive record to legitimize an artist?

The_Hook_Up said:
    his cuca release

He has more than one Cuca release. OMG didn't you know??

• yeah because not being aware of his complete output on a small local label is the same as not knowing
    about the exsistence of a million record selling artist
    button said:
    "it's not his only one"

The_Hook_Up said:
    his cuca release

He has more than one Cuca release. OMG didn't you know??