lil weezy appreciation (really?)

mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
WHAT IS HAPPENING?I really don???t know what this says about rap music nowadays, my taste, or my sanity, but LIL WAYNE has become my FAVORITE RAPPER. His voice is like the wind. it up all you like??? then go download ???tha blues??? & ???beef??? of his 2000 Lights Out LP and cream your shorts. Clean up. Then shuffle around the album, listen to ???biznite??? ???shine??? and ???get off the corner??? and get the towel ready again. He gets sentimental lovely on a couple tracks too. Two years before that, dude was like 16 and already sounding nice on a bunch of ca$h money and hot boys tracks.Of course, back in 2000, I was too busy trying to hook up with girls in my freshman dorm and hoping (in vain) company flow or rawkus would put out another good record to do anything but turn my nose up at weezy, juve, and that whole movement. I don???t remember exactly when I turned, but I definitely remember already being hyped when I first heard ???go dj.??? Witness wayne???s brilliance shine bright on other recent tracks such as ???hoes,??? ???earthquake??? (from ???tha carter??? lp) and ???wayne???s take over (parts 1 & 2)??? off of ???the mind of mannie fresh??? lp, Clearly wayne benefits from being the adopted son of baby and getting the familial benefits of uncle mannie???s nicest beats, but his flow, lyrics, voice, and the whole ???I???m-ugly-but-you-love-me??? style is KILLING IT RIGHT NOW.i'm not secretly on dude's payroll or anything, just recently discovering how much quality material he's put out. or am i crazy

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    SQUAD UP!

after that mixtape, i became a fan...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    also get your hands on his 'knuck if you buck' freestyle featuring young money (my favorite rappers' favorite rapper name)

lampin' in the hamptons like 'what the fuck is a hammock?'
    the chef up in the kitchen like 'what the fuck is a sammich?'
    i'm like 'we gotta find middle ground, we need balance'

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    lil wayne has always been hot (d'oh!)... but, yeah, as soon as they should heard that "after you back it up then stop, then droppa droppa drop it's like it's hot", people took notice...

that "paid in full" jack he did a few years back was fire for a few months,,,

in terms of drama and stories, etc, it's a dead tie between Lil Wayne and B.G... both started rapping on record at 12-14 years of age... Lil Wayne shot himself in the chest, B.G. was a junkie,,, the song on lil wayne's LP called "fuck the world" was sick... sad stuff...

that said, i can't listen to Lil Wayne's voice for a full LP... he's one of those dudes who's better on cameos and on tracks with others...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Lil Wayne shot himself in the chest

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Lil Wayne shot himself in the chest

i hadn't heard about this. accident or suicide attempt?

that said, i can't listen to Lil Wayne's voice for a full LP... he's one of those dudes who's better on cameos and on tracks with others...

i half agree. i think a whole album may get tiresome, and he's definitely a great guest (only good part of destiny child's garbage song "soldier") but i can easily listen to a song with just him on it, too.

i'm going to have to make myself a 45 minute best of lil wayne cd and see if it can hold up.