LEAVE HIP HOP ALONE - #7

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
http://nymag.com/arts/popmusic/features/69252/

There was another article that made the cover of BookForum w/ Biz on the cover IIRC. Blah -Blah - Blah....

http://www.bookforum.com/inprint/017_03

Discuss.

Comments

• Big Daddy Kane, Jay-Z, Eminem, Canibus, Chino XL, and Lupe Fiasco. These are the rappers who dazzled me most consistently with the density of their ideas and wordplay and imagery.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Terrible...

Sam Anderson said:
    But my shortlist for the best ever comes down to just six: Big Daddy Kane, Jay-Z, Eminem, Canibus, Chino XL, and Lupe Fiasco

How bout these comments:

"Did Sage Francis make it in? I'm guessing no. Still, I'll take his lyrics over just about anybody's."

"HOWEVER, how the hell did you get through an article about genius lyricists without mentioning lauryn hill?!?!"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hasnt the Hip Hop is/As Poetry been done already, not including the artists' declarations?

• "Things White People Like"

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    "Things White People Like"

Thraed Over

B/W

"WHERE ARE THE SOUTHERN MC"S!!!!!!!" - Harvey Canal

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    batmon said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    "Things White People Like"

Thraed Over

B/W

"WHERE ARE THE SOUTHERN MC"S!!!!!!!" - Harvey Canal

Hahahah LOCK'ER UP!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    z-ro should be mentioned in there; preferably before sage francis

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    There was another article that made the cover of BookForum w/ Biz on the cover IIRC. Blah -Blah - Blah....

http://www.bookforum.com/inprint/017_03

Discuss.
    Yeah, I saw this. The article is well-meaning and sincere, but is ultimately horseshit and about ten years late, if not more (which is not to say that it would have been any better a decade ago--just more understandable). The only interesting point he makes is questioning whether the word "poetry" has been diluted by using it to refer to everything except poetry ("that movie/record/slam dunk/packaging/buffalo wing is pure poetry!"), but although he raises the question, he cops out and never really gets into it at all.

b/w

LEAVE POETRY ALONE, TOO. JUST AS THE BEST POETRY WOULD MAKE SHITTY RAP, THE BEST RAP WOULD MAKE SHITTY POETRY. NEITHER OF THESE FORMS NEEDS OR VALIDATES OR NECESSARILY EVEN BENEFITS THE OTHER, SO PLEASE QUIT ACTING LIKE SHIT IS CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER.

• BigKBigK 97 Posts
    "Is rap poetry?"

Nope, it's something even doper, which we call "rap"

BigK said:
    doper

:P

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    It would be like an art critic who???s never seen a comic book

So rap is the "comic book" of the music world?

twoply said:
    It would be like an art critic who???s never seen a comic book

So rap is the "comic book" of the music world?

GIT FAM!!!