How High Will it Go (pt 5,867) BLACK OUT NEW SOUNDS '70

Comments

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Funkmongering Whorenstein effect in the house....

• It's hard for me to imagine that a rare LP that is going for 5K doesn't have any redeeming value. Some of you have the perogative to say its a turd but that seems a bit short-sided to me. There has to be something about it that will either grow on you or catch your ear in some way eventually. And if you DO like it but don't feel like it is an LP that is worth thousands and that is the price people are willing to pay, then you are not going to own it. So wait for someone to discover a sealed box of em in a barn in El Reno, OK, hope for a drop in value in 20 years, wait out a reissue or get to some serious miracle digging.

$5000 paid for a piece of vinyl history is not something that a serious collector does unless they are highly aware of what they are buying.

Don't hate on the guys with record museums. I'm in jealous awe of them. Especially if they are not full of Elvis/Beatles monotony.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    short-sided

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Terd

• InnerSpace said:

$5000 paid for a piece of vinyl history is not something that a serious collector does unless they are highly aware of what they are buying.

^^ disconnected from simply great collectros

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    What originally started out as a bad thread is starting to get entertaining!

• holmes said:
    some telling replies in this thread

If I found this LP I would cop it & file it in an instant.

If you are into high school records & funk records in general then this LP is the shit, if you are not into then fine, that's your perogative.

I would not pay thousands for it because I'm not really an LP collector. But if it was a $25 LP I would have it & if you have a passing interest in funk LPs & say otherwise then you are wrong.

I can totally understand LP dudes paying big for this.

If you don't/can't grasp the concept of dropping thousands on this or as someone else said thousands on a northern soul 45 then you are kind of missing the way some people go about collecting & sound jealous. Not everyone wants a collection of beat to fuck soul 45s that look like they've been fighting with a belt sander & that they can brag about how they got 3/4 of a JD Bryant on Shrine, cracked & unplayable, but hey it cost 25c. If you go to a soul night to DJ & play people thrashed rare records that sound like a fish fry it is not cool. Some things you have to pay for or go without. (although I agree paying through the nose for a G- record is kind of nuts, but if that's what it takes for you to own an item you really want then so be it).

I also don't get the "chicken choker" funk comment, that isn't derogatory, THAT IS WHAT FUNK SOUNDS LIKE! If you want your boundaries expanded go buy a Jazz LP. Funk is supposed to sound like James Brown & The Meters. If that sound isn't interesting enough for you, then you are collecting the wrong genre. It's like saying "I wish punk rock bands would sound less like the Ramones & more like Pink Floyd". WTF.

dude, it's a good record...but not anything i'd call "really good" or "great", or whatever. it is amateur sounding, played by amateurs, recorded in an amateur fashion. these are school kids. admirable for their talent and the audacity of making black out new sounds 70 happen, but I can only expect so much from them. their raw talent and the production of the recording leaves much to be desired when thinking of anything that I would call "great". when taken for what it is, in the micro-genre of talent show funk, it is probably a top 5er.... but in the sense of all funk music in general, it just does not stack up. dont take chicken choker too seriously. just a reference to the old soulstrut thread of 70s funk vs 80s funk. i listen to it all bro

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    InnerSpace said:

How so?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    InnerSpace said:

How so?
    KING OF THE UNAWARE BUY

• Reynaldo said:
    InnerSpace said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    InnerSpace said:

How so?
    KING OF THE UNAWARE BUY

I would call that just straight hoarding. I'm not complaining though, he just gripped a half a grand of stuff off of me a few months back.

Let me rephrase: MOST serious collectors are aware of what they are buying and why they are buying it for the amount that seems unreasonable to some on here.

I'd love to check out that great collectro's collection. It has to be one of the best on the planet. I would also, like to know what he does for a living because he clearly does not care how much anything is. I should put in a change of address at the post office and have his packages forwarded to my place!

• DeeRock said:
    I'd love to check out that great collectro's collection. It has to be one of the best on the planet. I would also, like to know what he does for a living because he clearly does not care how much anything is. I should put in a change of address at the post office and have his packages forwarded to my place!

Dust and grooves should do an exclusive on ol' M***o. I bet most of us would have supplemented his collection in one way or another.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    this thread is fucking ridiculous...people getting rougish or asshurt...telling them to remove their "moufs" because someone doesnt like a record they like, or dont think it is worth 6 grand...acting like someone is talking bad about their mom. Stupidity.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    DeeRock said:

Last time I sold a record to Marco I asked him what his profession was. His response was something like " I am a collector of the real-deep funk" from what I remember.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    spelunk said:
    francozola0 said:
    spelunk said:
    Most people in this thraed need to remove their moufs.

All that said, IMO there exists an even better HS funk LP....It's on my turntable right now!

Is it also a double and from Los Angeles?

I know what you're talking about and yes that's good but no, this is a different thing. Sorry, that's all I'm gonna say for now though.

If you are talking about what he is talking about, then, yeah, I know what you're talking about. Some years back, I found that record and sold it to a college professor who lives overseas when I needed to pay off a bill at the time. A short time afterward, I started corresponding and eventually had dinner with the drummer of the biggest song out of the rest of them - father of a high school football player classmate - and his wife. I really wish my dumbass who thought I would find another copy sooner or later since there apparently was a decade-long series of them and I was finding several school band / talent show records at the time, would have kept it a little longer so I could of shown it to him in person and maybe given it to him. I lost contact with the three, but it was an interesting experience. A couple of months ago, I went to the Bowl with my dad to see Buddy Guy and B.B. King, Before the show, I went to the museum section to look around. Out of curiosity, I asked one of the receptionist/curator ladies if there were any plans to re-release a comp or whatever of any of those records. A middle aged woman nearby knew the annual contest I was referring to and was reminiscing to us about how she saw the early incarnation of the Mamas & Papas play while consuming quite a bit of hash and wine in the cheap seats with her then boyfriend...and so forth. Too bad I was informed that there are no plans to release any of that music. Damn...

I alos, asked marco what he does after he friend requested me on face book. His answer "It's a long story". Can dust and grooves PLEASE go do a pictorial.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    DeeRock said:

This TURD was #1 on my wants list for 13 years as well as one of my all time favorite records, but hey what do I know!

Your copy (sleeve) is in best condition of the three! Congrats on owning it!

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    http://collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=260681246299
    Damn, I guess 500-600 for this was too low!!!

I want to say Marco bought this also but I can't confirm yet!!

• If it was thirteen years at the top of your wants list It must rarely pop up. Is it the high price thats suddenly flushing them out a la Heartsman or has a quantity of them been found?

The Mor Thiam and Thrust are awesome although Thrust was a $700 max record until that one the third bid was $300 its a bit like that Ethiopian record a few weeks ago were two guys just went crazy at the same time. I think the bid history is always interesting to see how in demand a record really is. There seems to be a shrink frenzy out there at the mo.

I was certain that once a copy of "Black Out" went up on the bay and hit over $2,000 I knew copies would start popping up and I was right. I actually found it about 13 times in those 13 years but was ALWAYS a day late. The last copy I was late on before obtaining one was the one Jinx sold here in the classifieds to Bizzo. Once again I was one second too late, literally. I think it went for $500. I was with Shadow once who put me up on this record and he had 5 copies that day but wasn't willing to trade one for anything I had at the time. I think Tom (Lyrics Born) put him up on the record and then he tracked them down. At any rate it's raer and I love it for everything it is. I think the cover art is great, the music, the rawness, etc. I was floored when the one that went up on the bay ended so high. Also, disappointed. Then the next moldy beat up copy went up and sold for twice the amount to the great collectro Marco Funk. A week after that the "Black Experience" popped up which I caught for $400. The seller was very difficult would not accept paypal wanted western union only etc. Seemed very shady and had like a negative 1 feedback rating. After talking to him on the phone he seemed ok. I went to send payment and western union would not let me because I didn't have a land telephone line. Crazy! I ended up just sending him a check and he ended up just selling it to someone else and never cashed my check. He said I was taking too long although I did everything I could. I was bummed by this transaction. So a week after that another copy of "Black Experience" went up. This time it went for $2000.00 to Marco Funk. I still would like a copy of "Black Experience" but I'm not going to drop a few grand for one.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    DeeRock said:

Dust and grooves should do an exclusive on ol' M***o.

THIS IS A REALLY REALLY GOOD IDEA ON A LOT OF LEVELS

• Great info Deerock thats like the entire life cycle of this Raer from discovery to the present day. I thinks its super from the cover art to the sounds on it. It just has something about it that sets it apart. Hope it doesnt take me that long to get one though.

• PS thanks for the Positive negative post it was real nice to hear that one.

francozola0 said:
    PS thanks for the Positive negative post it was real nice to hear that one.

No problem, your welcome. Well as you know you can buy the "Black Out" that's currently being offered and you won't have to wait to long. I wonder what the reserve is?

• Getting warm now Id say the reserve is $4000 final price $5200 we ll know in a few hours God knows we gave it enough free publicity.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Sold!!!!!!
    Attached files

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    Sold!!!!!!

It's pretty wild how the pricetag on this thing can shift nearly $3,000 between copies (although not surprising).

• that was cheap!

• francozola0 said:
    that was cheap!

For a turd. ;-)