How High Will it Go (pt 5,867) BLACK OUT NEW SOUNDS '70

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    T-U-R-D

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    People always like to complain about records that they don't have or can't afford.

The_Non said:
    Blackout Sounds is way better than that Jr & Soulettes crap, although Jr & Soulettes has great stories behind it.

Jr. & The Soulettes is an amazing LP with or without the back story.

b/w

"Mama drinks tequila"

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I can't get into it on any level. I guess calling it crap isn't fair though.

The_Non said:
    I can't get into it on any level. I guess calling it crap isn't fair though.

Fair enough....obviously I was blown away by just the fact that this record exists or else I wouldn't have immediately pursued it and there would be no bizarre back story known.

And it is a fun listen for me.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    People always like to complain about records that they don't have or can't afford.

Come on it's totally possible to see rate this record as below par without resorting to that.

• LP doesn't do anything for me. Stating an opinion that you don't like it does not make you a timmydigalot. Spending huge amounts on an LP doesn't make you enlightened or a better music lover either. It just means you have a lot of money. Some people like this LP some don't. It's an expensive LP. These are the facts. Let's leave it at that.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Some people like this LP some don't. It's an expensive LP. These are the facts. Let's leave it at that.

tabira said:
    Rockadelic said:

Come on it's totally possible to rate this record as a turd without resorting to calling it a turd.

Very rarely do I hear people complain about records they actually own.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    tabira said:
    Rockadelic said:

Come on it's totally possible to rate this record as a turd without resorting to calling it a turd or Jr & Soulettes crap.

It's true that people tend to own things that they like.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

This TURD was #1 on my wants list for 13 years as well as one of my all time favorite records, but hey what do I know!

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    DeeRock said:

This TURD was #1 on my wants list for 13 years as well as one of my all time favorite records, but hey what do I know!

You know what you like. That's all that matters. AMEN

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    OPULENCE!

tabira said:
    Rockadelic said:
    tabira said:
    Rockadelic said:

Come on it's totally possible to rate this record as a turd without resorting to calling it a turd or Jr & Soulettes crap.

Dude....every mofo who posted in this thread would own this record if it could be had for $25 and there were hundreds of copies on the market.

• Yes I would defintely pay $25 for this record. This is the third copy of this for sale this year I think Black Vinyl Junkie bought the first one.Did that copy of yours come with any mould Deerock? or have you turned up another. Theres was at least ten ... I think a run through of 8 people on the board had one last time there was a thread on this

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    NateBizzo said:
    OPULENCE!

"THEES TURD... I HAS IT"

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    tabira said:
    Rockadelic said:
    tabira said:
    Rockadelic said:

Dude....every mofo who posted in this thread would own this record if it could be had for $25 and there were hundreds of copies on the market.

I can't speak for others but you can count me out. I have to watch every dollar. I don't like it, I don't buy it, period. And if I hatted on stuff just cos I couldn't afford it, I'd at least have the self respect to act my own lies out by not listening to the free down loaded file in the car every morning on my way to work. Sure there are the elements you talk about but it's far from everyone.

• the music on this record is certainly not wack but not really good either. it is indeed one of the better talent show soul/funk records out there, but at the end of the day it's pretty standard chicken choker funk fare. rarity/bragging rights/privilege/championed by the few who own it/interesting back story is really what makes the price on this record...which is not at all unbelievable to me, especially considering that dudes are paying $5,000+ for a G- 45 w/ ONE SONG, labeled as northern soul.

Rockadelic said:
    tabira said:
    Rockadelic said:
    tabira said:
    Rockadelic said:

I can't speak for others but you can count me out. I have to watch every dollar. I don't like it, I don't buy it, period. And if I hatted on stuff just cos I couldn't afford it, I don't know why I settled for the down load to listen in the car every morning on my way to work. Sure there are the elements you talk about but it's far from everyone.

Just curious.....have you heard this 2-LP set??

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    NateBizzo said:
    OPULENCE!

"THEES TURD... I HAS IT"

lol he needs to be kissing it

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    There are a lot of little dudes in this thread!!! :lol:

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Most people in this thraed need to remove their moufs.

Blackout 70 is an amazing record and anyone who knows their shit about private press and high school LPs understands how special it is. You can go through THOUSANDS of HS records without finding anything close to Kashmere, Blackout 70, Black Experience, etc - there were so many amazing groups and high school musicians in the 70s and sadly very few of the best ever got to make a record.

All that said, IMO there exists an even better HS funk LP....It's on my turntable right now!

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    tabira said:
    Rockadelic said:
    tabira said:
    Rockadelic said:

I can't speak for others but you can count me out. I have to watch every dollar. I don't like it, I don't buy it, period. And if I hatted on stuff just cos I couldn't afford it, I'd at least have the self respect to act my own lies out by not listening to the free down loaded file in the car every morning on my way to work. Sure there are the elements you talk about but it's far from everyone.

Just curious.....have you heard this 2-LP set??

Just the sound files posted. Of course if there's better stuff on it I'm open to that. But the files don't do it for me and I'm supposing that they're the best tracks to sell it by. But what does this boil down to ? Two folks with different takes on an LP. Big deal, not.

Just like when you retracted the "Soulettes crap" comment I'm not calling it a turd despite your redited quote. But I ain't saying that folks who say they don't like it are necessarily covering up for their envy.

• spelunk said:

All that said, IMO there exists an even better HS funk LP....It's on my turntable right now!

Is it also a double and from Los Angeles?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    francozola0 said:
    spelunk said:

Is it also a double and from Los Angeles?

I know what you're talking about and yes that's good but no, this is a different thing. Sorry, that's all I'm gonna say for now though.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    francozola0 said:
    Yes I would defintely pay $25 for this record. This is the third copy of this for sale this year I think Black Vinyl Junkie bought the first one.Did that copy of yours come with any mould Deerock? or have you turned up another. Theres was at least ten ... I think a run through of 8 people on the board had one last time there was a thread on this

Do you see any mold? No sir, crisp and clean as can get. That moldy copy went to the world famous collectro known as Marco Funk.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    DeeRock said:

Do you see any mold? No sir, crisp and clean as can get. That moldy copy went to the world famous collectro known as Marco Funk.

That dude, Marco Funk, be dropping serious loot on vinyl. I know I've gotten some major coin from him over the years.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    some telling replies in this thread

If I found this LP I would cop it & file it in an instant.

If you are into high school records & funk records in general then this LP is the shit, if you are not into then fine, that's your perogative.

I would not pay thousands for it because I'm not really an LP collector. But if it was a $25 LP I would have it & if you have a passing interest in funk LPs & say otherwise then you are wrong.

I can totally understand LP dudes paying big for this.

If you don't/can't grasp the concept of dropping thousands on this or as someone else said thousands on a northern soul 45 then you are kind of missing the way some people go about collecting & sound jealous. Not everyone wants a collection of beat to fuck soul 45s that look like they've been fighting with a belt sander & that they can brag about how they got 3/4 of a JD Bryant on Shrine, cracked & unplayable, but hey it cost 25c. If you go to a soul night to DJ & play people thrashed rare records that sound like a fish fry it is not cool. Some things you have to pay for or go without. (although I agree paying through the nose for a G- record is kind of nuts, but if that's what it takes for you to own an item you really want then so be it).

I also don't get the "chicken choker" funk comment, that isn't derogatory, THAT IS WHAT FUNK SOUNDS LIKE! If you want your boundaries expanded go buy a Jazz LP. Funk is supposed to sound like James Brown & The Meters. If that sound isn't interesting enough for you, then you are collecting the wrong genre. It's like saying "I wish punk rock bands would sound less like the Ramones & more like Pink Floyd". WTF.

• this thread is fucking ridiculous...people getting rougish or asshurt...telling them to remove their "moufs" because someone doesnt like a record they like, or dont think it is worth 6 grand...acting like someone is talking bad about their mom. Stupidity.