Explain Filtered Basslines

bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
Could someone breakdown exactly what a filtered bassline is to me ( keep in mind that I have zero musical production knowledge)? In a general sense, I know what filtering means, but how does it relate specifically to basslines as is often mentioned in Golden Era hip hop production? What is being filtered out? Thanks in advance for dropping some musical production knowledge on a midwestern accountant.

Comments

• A low-pass filter is a filter that passes low-frequency signals but attenuates (reduces the amplitude of) signals with frequencies higher than the cutoff frequency.

meaning you find a sample that you only want the bassline of and filter it

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

The intro is the sample with a high-pass filter, at 0:26 it changes to a low-pass.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    And even simpler demonstration is to play a song on your computer or your car - anything with a graphic equalizer.

Now just cut out all the highs and lower the mids. The resulting sound is a crude representation of what you'd be doing when filtering basslines.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I've put off buying a bass synth which I've been wanting for a while (I'm still a caveman, ignorant about music software) so I filter basslines all the time. I still think it sounds amazing, even though it's probably a bit of a joke to some people to make beats like that in 2010...

Lots of good examples of filtering in 90s french house music as well:

• listen to the tower of power bassline at the start of Sallys Got A One Track mind by Diamond D and you got the idea.

• a finer point of filtered basslines

Pete rock often modulates his filter with an LFO, like in that fakin jacks example. That is what creates the wah effect on the sample.

• I had some filter fun in the first 5 seconds of this jam.

Good looks on the LFO tip. I usually automate the filter by hand but never with an LFO on samples. Just synth bass.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    What VSTs do y'all use ?

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    i use a variety of VST's, but sumthin that very recently caught my eye was the new Lexicon MX200,
    http://www.lexiconpro.com/product.php?id=12
    it can be used as a VST plugin via a USB connection..and for $250 here in canada i might just have to buy one

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    What VSTs do y'all use ?

Trilogy - for basslines
    Elektrik - for electric pianos
    minimogue - for moog style synth lines

For filtering basslines checkout the Naive LPF plugin

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I use the good ole' Ensoniq ASR-10 for filtering basslines. :real_headz: :raw: :hard_as_fuck:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Ummmm - dub reggae?
    3.10 - 3.37

There is SO MUCH FUN to be had playing with that bass knob lol and filter switch on a proper reggae system