SANGIN...

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
Was listening to this earlier this morning (cross reference with "Last Song You Played On Repeat" thread) and in searching for the Youtubes for it to post on my Facebook, I came across this rendition. Apparently they haven't sung it in years, and decided at the last minute to include it in their repertoire for their 2009 Kennedy Center performance. Perfection, IMVHO.

Funny how this song is deeply ingrained in the collective consciousness of the hip-hop generation, thanks due in no small part to 45 King.

Anyway, Let's post up some cool clips of people playing "the ultimate instrument" and whatnot...

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    One more from me real quick. You all know this by now, but I'm never not floored when Glen starts to go in. I'm not a religious man by any means but good lord almighty...

• That "Spread Love" clip is too ill.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah it's kind of out of control, right? Watching the dudes work it... Plus the thing that fucks me up is you can tell just how much fun they're having right then and there. Pretty awe-inspiring.

• Yeah I mean between the sheer power of their voices, and each one just knowing exactly when to fall back or when to embellish, mixed with the cross-cultural ref point you mentioned above... just really really cool. They sung the shit out of it too.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    on the take 6: harmony and consistancy at its finest...i love accapella sessions like this man, really shows the true skills a lot of artists have and it just rolls of the top so simple style..

the funkadelic was awesome as well, always makes me wanna immediately listen to Sex Packets & The Chronic

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    inspiring shit for me personally
    i am trying to revive my choir brethrens to link up and sang again

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Added to favorites, thanks Cosmo!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Nowhere near the level of the Take6 clip, but you know I stays reppin for my peeps...

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Wow, that is some next level harmonizing right there! The first guy also has a great speaking voice. (Referring to the very first post).

I thought this thread would be about singing. I can't listen to music like this while I work because I'm too distracted by the temptation to sing/hum along!

• Literally Take 6 was all I listened to as a kid. Nothing else hit my tape deck. They amazed me when I was 11 years old and still do now that I'm 33. Thanks for the throwback, Cosmo! (by the way, that is Brian McKnight's older brother there at the first of the clip, Claude V. McKnight)

• oh shit. wow.

• jazz sanging:

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    That Take 6 is inspiring.

Recent events reminded me of another singer my auntie used to play. Dennis Brown covers Autumn Leaves @ 2:30. What a voice.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That Take 6 clip just gave my mind a massage.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Take 6 was always head & shoulders above a lot of there competition in their time. Them and Boyz to Men were neck & neck overall, IMO. Take 6 had a more mature sound.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    How long until someone remixes that youtube clip with the Ike/Tina Turner drums?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm going in the vaults tonight fuck it.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    6 thirty something Brits harmonizing in a pub.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Gonna raid my Youtube favorites...

Of course:

This never gets old to me:

Really:

Quietly shitting on em:

Killing it:

• that "what a fool believes" is pretty cool..

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    BUMP... And damn, dude.

• Probably the only dudes that gave the Moments pause.
    Someone find me some vintage live clips of these dudes, already.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    on some ish...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Cosmo said:

wow - that is chillingly good.

I guess you could say there are dozens of female soul singers who are comparable to these next three. They are known but don't get that much shine. I like the distinct tones on the first two.

All are rough around the edges and raw, with much depth and refinement, too.

(the first track)

She just announced she's taking a break...I like all her singles and am not sure why she never blew up. I think she's terrific.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

you need to let the clip load as the acapella doesnt start until a little after the 3 minute mark

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    bassie said:
    She just announced she's taking a break...I like all her singles and am not sure why she never blew up. I think she's terrific.

Her last song (Holding U Down - I think thats the newest?) was so big here that I started getting tired of it - the Swizz Beatz rmx is the shitt tho.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah Jazmine is the shit.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    bassie said:
    Cosmo said:

wow - that is chillingly good.

This is fucking amazing. I think I'm in love.

Since we're taking it there...

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    This is always the first thing that comes to mind when I think of sangin'. Wish I had video, but still, "your ear has to be in your foot to not hear that these women can sang y'all"

That'll always be the definitive version for me, but it's Patti Labelle's tune, and she obviously kills it too.