Family Tree 12"

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
I was wondering if there's OG's from back in the day of the white sleeved 12" promo copies of Family Tree / Skye on Anada. I saw on older auction on the 'sike that said that they were pressed up in the late 90s so my question is if all the white sleeved promo copies are re-issues so to speak. Does anybody know?

Such a great song!

Thanks in advance,

Dress

Comments

• There's a white label original issue, and a boot made from that. There's also a legit(?) reissue that uses the same style but is obviously marked as such.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I'm actually curious, is there a preference for most people btwn these two? I feel like everyone's after it for Family Tree, but I much prefer Ain't No Need.

• i cant tell the difference btwn og og pressings of the 12" or the 90s replica.
    therefore i dont own a copy. im not willing to trade or put the $ up for a boot that goes for $200 +.

the skye is the cut, both versions are great.

• RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    i cant tell the difference btwn og og pressings of the 12" or the 90s replica.

There's a difference in the etchings.

• I think I prefer the Family Tree track. Looking online it seems a lot of people can't tell the difference between the 90s boot and the OG or maybe they dont care about paying hundreds of dollars for a replica?

Thanks Jonny!

Dress

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The 90s pressing goes for loot anyway I though. Like that's a $100 12" right?

• The Skye side is CLEARLY the cut. Original 45 version is nice and sweet too.
    There were new copies being sold in Tokyo a few years back. White sleeve with the pasted on xerox label.

BTW, who originally did this edit of it?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Wasn't it Norman Cook?

• fuck a $ 100+ bootleg. all day. fools gold.
    same for the jermaine jackson 12" of ecuru, and the james mason sweet power 12".

if thats the logic, take the wav and press up a copy for yourself for $40 in the uk. ..paste on a lil shitty ass xerox and now your in the game.
    norman cook did an edit on an official release, i have the 12" somewhere... forgot the label.

• aromiaromi 20 Posts
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:

norman cook did an edit on an official release, i have the 12" somewhere... forgot the label.

I've been playing this quite a lot lately.

RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    fuck a $ 100+ bootleg. all day. fools gold.
    same for the jermaine jackson 12" of ecuru, and the james mason sweet power 12".

if thats the logic, take the wav and press up a copy for yourself for $40 in the uk. ..paste on a lil shitty ass xerox and now your in the game.

This?

• Can't see either of the pics above, but someone told me Norman Cook as well.
    But sounds like that's a different one from the Ananda 12" we're talking about?

• aromiaromi 20 Posts
    Yeah, the Ananda 12" and this Norman Cook's edit from 2001 are two totally different things. Norman Cook's version is a lot faster than the original song.

• Ah, I see... Norman Cook did the Family Tree mix/edit.

What I'd like to know is who originally did the edit of Skye - "Ain't no need" for the Anada 12"?
    Which, again, is pure sweet fireball dance-floor thunder.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    aromi said:
    Yeah, the Ananda 12" and this Norman Cook's edit from 2001 are two totally different things. Norman Cook's version is a lot faster than the original song.

I don't remember the Norman Cook edit being as fast as that. For some reason the OST release is pretty hard to turn up, too, as are a few other tracks on that label.

THe OST pressing of this (there's a killer one with an edit of Banbara's Shack up on the flip) are on discogs all day mate - http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=16253&ev=rb

Kinetic said:
    THe OST pressing of this (there's a killer one with an edit of Banbara's Shack up on the flip) are on discogs all day mate - http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=16253&ev=rb

Thanks mate - you're right, they're all over like soup on a waiter's tie and priced about right, too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I actually had a dream about this record last night.

Cosmo said:
    I actually had a dream about this record last night.

I hope it said 'yes'.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I did... turns out that it said no. :(

• there's also a good edit of Family Tree on a 80's red label R.S. 12"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    NachoManCandySandwich said:
    edit of Skye - "Ain't no need" for the Anada 12"?
    Which, again, is pure sweet fireball dance-floor thunder.

TRUTH.

I find though, the song isn't quite as big with the folks I play it to as it is with me. Private mind garden classique?

• mannybolone said:
    Private mind garden classique?

I'd hate to think so, but I do know what you mean.
    This record has the same thing going in my experience:

• crazypoprock said:
    there's also a good edit of Family Tree on a 80's red label R.S. 12"