High & Mighty Appresh.....

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
I dont own anything from them, but Smut Peddlers.

Dont be afraid to rep.

Post some shit that I missed......

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    BAN

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    haaha

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    "Top Prospects"

"Open Mic Night (Remix)"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    "Top Prospects"

"Open Mic Night (Remix)"

I tried: these are not good.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Weed, what a relief, when will my 8th a day habit cease?

Always liked that song, with the Rasa sample, but that's it.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

When the album came out, I loved this track. I think its aged better than a lot of rawkus stuff...

Faint praise I know, but I like this beat, and the cuts are pretty solid too..

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Always liked Top Prospects...

also rep'd for

it was, ya know, cool back in the day...

Oh yeah, this instrumental is tight to me too..

Woimsah said:
    Always liked Top Prospects...

also rep'd for

it was, ya know, cool back in the day...

Not as cool as this though (even with Fat Joe being a part of it)...

• home field advantage is still great stuff. i like all the other releases as well. had a good run there

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    did also think this was sort of great when it first came out -- mainly for Ra's contributions...

--EDIT--

Had the Bottom Feeders video posted. Haven't seen it for 10 years or so. That shit is way too gnarly. I'm old.

jeezus, this stuff is wack

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Love that beat, it wasn't enough to make me keep the Smut Peddlers album though. Listening to Mr Eon should be labeled cruel and unusual punishment.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    jeezus, this stuff is wack
    Mjukis said:
    Listening to Mr Eon should be labeled cruel and unusual punishment.

Amen. Some cool beats here and there, but I just can't get with Mr. Eon's Winnie The Pooh-flow (see also: Vast Aire).

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    was at a friend's house recently who had a big stack of old Vice magazines... it is funny how hip this shit was 10 years ago and how quick people are to dis now...

i remember thinking "hands on experience" was hilarious when i first heard it... it's still great now, tho mostly due to Kool Keith:

• That Lyn Christopher beat Eon made was awesome- first to sample Lyn Christopher right? I remember the 12" was definitely out before Lyn was comped on Dusty Fingers.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    If I'm not mistaken they had fresh shoes and jerseys no?

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    hahaaahaaa

hmm - they have remained a mediocre outfit with a few good efforts to me. Like I mentioned earlier, 'the Meaning' really exemplifies the late 90's dissatisfaction with the direction of hip hop a lot of east coast / "boom bap" oriented heads seemed to feel at the time.

HarveyCanal - 21 October 2010 04:36 AM

Love that beat, it wasn't enough to make me keep the Smut Peddlers album though. Listening to Mr Eon should be labeled cruel and unusual punishment.

Yeah man dude had bad breath control or something. Not feeling the flow.
    Did they drop this after Dusty Fingers comped it? big difference.

I remember a cut sampling that same wing and a prayer 45 big daddy kane also used for an interlude, was that a High and The Mighty track as well?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Im pretty sure I heard a Lord Finesse joint back in the day that used the Lyn sample.... I may be wrong but I never thought H&M were the first to flip it.

I like the tracks that have other rappers and alot of their beats. Mr Eon alone does get boring...

• I remember abolutely loving this:

When it came out. Now the Kool Keith verse (as referenced above) and the Bobbito verse on Hands On Exp. are the only things I really go back for. The beat on "Hole Repertoire" is pretty solid too.

Liked the J-Zone beat for "Artillery" as well.

Meh, they had their time.

• m_dejean said:
    I just can't get with Mr. Eon's Winnie The Pooh-flow

Ditto. Celph-Titled is another rapper I could never tolerate for the same reason.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I always liked this one. Dunno if it aged well, the Beat still does it for me. Raps, well...I think I still like it...the video has a certain level of being corny though...

p_gunn said:
    was at a friend's house recently who had a big stack of old Vice magazines... it is funny how hip this shit was 10 years ago and how quick people are to dis now...

Not sure that VICE was ever the best litmus test for what was hip in rap music.

In any event, I owned and liked the Smut Peddlers 12" and maybe one other H&M-related 12", although I can't remember what. Maybe Rasheed & Ill Advised?

But I think these guys pretty much epitomize the worst of that Fat Beats/Sandbox era: dudes who mistook a positive response to one 12" release for an indication that they possessed the talent and creativity to do a series of full lengths.

I though by the time Smut Peddlers came out in 2001, that whole Rawkusy steez was on its last legs.

batmon said:
    I though by the time Smut Peddlers came out in 2001, that whole Rawkusy steez was on its last legs.

^^^^PLAYED TALIB KWELI'S "FOR WOMEN" FOR FEMALE VISITORS TO THE BATCAVE LIKE "GIRL, I THINK YOU NEED TO HEAR THIS"

faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:

^^^^PLAYED TALIB KWELI'S "FOR WOMEN" FOR FEMALE VISITORS TO THE BATCAVE LIKE "GIRL, I THINK YOU NEED TO HEAR THIS"

haha............Reflection Eternal and scented candles.

• faux_rillz said:
    Sandbox

I had forgotten this site even existed. I just googled it and it's still up and running. I don't know what's more amazing: the fact it's still in business or that they haven't redesigned the site since its inception.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:
    faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:

bassie said:
    batmon said:
    faux_rillz said:
    batmon said:

U prefer Wocka Flocka w/ an edible flower bouquet?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    LMHO

What I prefer will never sully a Forum as pristine as this.