Pumpkin Ale - Fallback or Callback?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
Shit rolls around erry Fall and i'll try it. Right now i just popped open a Southern Tier PumpKing Ale from the local supermarket. Not bad. Hoppy and spicy.

I recall Heartland Brewery making one. The first time i ever tasted the style and it was cool.

I dont see myself drinkin 2 six packs during Revenge Of the Nerds Part 2 w/ my handicapped girlfriend who has a crush on Delay, but one or three is enuff.

Yall drink this shit or is it too gimmicky or nasty.

I was this close to coppin the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown today.

Comments

• batmon said:

I was this close to coppin the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown today.

This hits my VCR every Halloween.

As far as pumpkin ale. Eh, I try and stay away from anything that has a fruit in it when it comes to beer. Although I might give this a try after your commentary on it!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Sounds like something guaranteed to give you terrible gas.

• Okem said:

Sounds like something guaranteed to give you terrible gas.

BAHAHAHAHA!!

• Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale is my shit.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i am one of the few who loves apricot ale
    so pumpkin is ok with me
    i love some pumpkin pie and curry pumpkin soup
    love autumn so all that shit goes together with a big roast as far as i am concerned

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    pcmr said:
    i am one of the few who loves apricot ale
    so pumpkin is ok with me

that's because you're working the St-Ambroise!!

they make a pumpkin one this time of year, too, i think...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yep thank god for that brasserie
    you can get a keg semi-illegally from them
    a pint of rousse or cream ale saves a bad bar for me
    if only they did not have that bullshit light blonde in that taster's pack

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I used to enjoy these, and the first few sips still do me right, but now even nicer ones like Dogfish's end up tasting syrupy and cloyingly sweet halfway through one serving. Apricot, same deal.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    not sure if thats sumthin i could get around here, but um open to trying it, they had some "Blackberry Moosehead" launched this year...to follow up on all the "Budlight Lime" hype....it wasnt bad, but i wouldnt buy it again..not my thing, there is someone locally who makes "Raspberry Ale" which is really good..

Pumpkin Ale would be a weird combo...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    What is the common link between Canadien and Australian beers, at least the big name ones, being so nasty?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pumpkin is a fruit??

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    How about beer-flavored beer?

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    Had one these guys for the first time last night... One of the best pumpkin ales I've had thus far!

Edit: Just saw Batmon's post

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    batmon said:
    pumpkin is a fruit??
    I had to check that one and they are. They're part of the same family as Melons.

• Options
    Southern Tier, Dogfish, Post Road, Shipyard, and I think Southampton all make good ones. The one from Heartland is called Smiling Pumpkin or something like that, it's not bad. I had one of these years ago on tap, can't remember the brewery, it was the best one I've ever had and I've been chasing the dragon ever since. They seem to get weaker every year.

I've been drinking mainly stouts this year so I'm biased towards something heavier, none of the pumpkins really approach that.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Okem said:
    batmon said:
    pumpkin is a fruit??
    I had to check that one and they are. They're part of the same family as Melons.

YO PUMPKIN IS A SQUASH DAWG ASO KNOWN AS WINTER SQUASH GIT FAM DAWG

• not feelin pumpkin beer/ale's elbows.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    What is the common link between Canadien and Australian beers, at least the big name ones, being so nasty?

Big names are B$ig Business Bullshit
    my friends who work at beer festivals have seen how they are produced, its horrible
    molson=miller and labatt blue=bud plus various coorescopycats

in the US you have a net advantage on alcohol as far as price (taxed as fuck related)
    however here in quebec we have an advantage that our local breweries are so developed that they produce
    great stuff but we can get it relatively cheap
    a brewerie like unibroue are on special at my corner store but pricey stateside
    and st-ambroise is great quality/value

I like moosehead but blueberry sounds bad, how is their Cracked Canoe?
    isee that commercial all the time but cannot cop

strong beers FIN DU MONDE is the bomb

• I like having one or two, as long as they are not too sweet. I had a good one last week.

And yes, pumpkin is a fruit. Anything with a seed inside of it is a fruit, botanically speaking -- peppers, squash, avocados, etc. all fruits.

Big biz beer pretty much sucks, yes...but Molsen/Moosehead/Foster's makes Budweiser taste like ambrosia.

• you sound like a man who could use an Odell Brewing Imperial Stout. I highly recommend.

Sween said:
    Southern Tier, Dogfish, Post Road, Shipyard, and I think Southampton all make good ones. The one from Heartland is called Smiling Pumpkin or something like that, it's not bad. I had one of these years ago on tap, can't remember the brewery, it was the best one I've ever had and I've been chasing the dragon ever since. They seem to get weaker every year.

I've been drinking mainly stouts this year so I'm biased towards something heavier, none of the pumpkins really approach that.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I can't do it anymore. My local brewpub hosts a crazy pumpkin beer festival every year, and it keeps getting bigger and bigger, with more and more pumpkin beers, and doodsrsly all I can handle now is the roasted seeds.

They had one last year that had pickle flavor in it too...the great gherkin i'm like nah dude comeon

20+ pumpkin beers, it's all pumpkin beers, too much.

So I believe that's my vote for fallback.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    A few of my buddies and fellow brewer just bottled a vanilla pumpkin porter that shook be ready in time for Halloween festivities. I very excite.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

I can't speak for Canada but for Australian beer its the water they use that makes it taste like arse.
    Although our drinking water is fine (most of the time cryptosporidium anyone ?). Its not as filtered as say Europe's and there fore our beer ends up tasting less than perfect.
    It happens all the time with popular overseas beers like Becks, Heineken and Stella when they become popular. They start brewing it here and it starts tasting terrible. I stopped drinking some import japanese beers because they started making them in Thailand and it changed the taste dramatically.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    I can't do it anymore. My local brewpub hosts a crazy pumpkin beer festival every year, and it keeps getting bigger and bigger, with more and more pumpkin beers, and doodsrsly all I can handle now is the roasted seeds.

They had one last year that had pickle flavor in it too...the great gherkin i'm like nah dude comeon

20+ pumpkin beers, it's all pumpkin beers, too much.

So I believe that's my vote for fallback.

yeah too many. i can drink one then diminishing returns.

in the winter, same thing goes for spruce ales.

kicks79 said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I can't speak for Canada but for Australian beer its the water they use that makes it taste like arse.
    Although our drinking water is fine (most of the time cryptosporidium anyone ?). Its not as filtered as say Europe's and there fore our beer ends up tasting less than perfect.
    It happens all the time with popular overseas beers like Becks, Heineken and Stella when they become popular. They start brewing it here and it starts tasting terrible. I stopped drinking some import japanese beers because they started making them in Thailand and it changed the taste dramatically.

Thank you for that insight. I've always wondered.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    I ride, mixed with Guinness made for what they call Candy Corn. Accompanied my fried catfish sandwich and Cajun tater tots well.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    never had one of them pumkin beers - what's the usual ABV on them shits?.... I pretty much don't fusk with any seasonal brews less than 8% ABV.... recently it's been in the double deets.

Does that pumpkin beer have that same dry, bitter aftertaste as the pumpkin pie?... not a fan.

• I had some kind of local upstate Pumpkin ale last night at a bar while I was waiting for someone and catching part of the Giants-Phillies game... it was pretty tasty and got me buzzed.

I fusk

• YNOT said:
    I ride, mixed with Guinness made for what they call Candy Corn.

This sounds interesting, you pour it black and tan style?