Star Wars

2»

Comments

• whats up with the haters?? star wars pretty much shaped my childhood. building little forts for the starwars figures and burning off their heads and shit. i looooved all that shit.

what would yoda do?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    funky16corners said:
    Woimsah said:

8D wouldn't make these painfully boring movies watchable.

Is there a graemlin available where the little yellow guy has fallen asleep next to the bag of popcorn? If not, can we make one?

Take a picture in any theater showing a Star Wars movie. Filled with sleeping people and their popcorn.

pretty much. that's all I ever heard from anyone about these movies -- how damn boring they were. innovative?!!?! ya right! Star Wars? More like Star Bores!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I know a handfull of dudes who were teenagers when I was a kid, who didnt ride for Star Wars.

They are more on some 2001 steez which is totally understandable.

My co-worker says Star Wars (EP IV) is terribly acted w/ a mediorcre storyline. He's right, but the flick is still great entertainment.

To come into the move expecting or wishing for some slow 60's OMNI magazine Sci-fi experience missing the boat.
    Its some new shit that you just were too far beyond the cultural taste buds to get.
    Talmbout Flash Gordon and shit.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:

some of you were like 3 years old in 85....prolly think the goonies is the end all be all.
    and if you werent... you were a kid and old enough to see star wars in 1977, theres no way you could think this was boring.
    star wars, comic books and kiss were amazing. nothing like it had been done before, the toys that came from it were incredible.

seriously... what did you find more exciting the muppet show ?

Damn - my old man took me to see Star Wars at radio city music hall in 77 - best movie going experience ever - after seeing star wars, I felt cheated out of life in some other, more exciting dimension. Blockbuster movies were so much fun in those days - Close Encounters was another mind blowing experience. The music is so good.

I miss the 70's!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I've met a few people my age (early thirties) who never saw any of the Star Wars films as kids. To a man/woman, they were all a little bit strange.

I have no doubt that if I saw them for the first time today I would wonder what all the fuss is about but I also think that if I was a kid again and got introduced to them the excitement and thrills they offer wouldn't be diminished by the outdated technology used in making them.

Star Wars can't be held responsible for the impact it (and, prior to that, Jaws) had on the way Hollywood movies were made.

• BigKBigK 97 Posts
    Junior said:
    To a man/woman, they were all a little bit strange.

So hermaphrodites don't dig Star Wars, guess I learn something new every day

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    bassie said:
    Princess Leia did cocaine on ???Empire??? set

Meryl Streep playing Carrie Fisher

• RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    talk about boring movies.

some of you were like 3 years old in 85....prolly think the goonies is the end all be all.
    and if you werent... you were a kid and old enough to see star wars in 1977, theres no way you could think this was boring.
    star wars, comic books and kiss were amazing. nothing like it had been done before, the toys that came from it were incredible.

seriously... what did you find more exciting the muppet show ?

Listen, man...
    I was 14 when Star Wars came out. I loved it. Saw it in the theaters at least half a dozen times.
    That said, as I grew older, and saw the many sequels, I noticed two things.
    The quality declined markedly as time went on (despite any technical innovations/improvements), and that George Lucas, for all his Joseph Campbell-isms basically created a ham-fisted tribute to old movie serials, ripping off everything from old westerns, Kurosawa, commedia dell'arte, mythology and whatever else he felt like tossing into the blender.
    I would never deny that Star Wars was culturally significant, or that it wasn't hugely influential.
    That said, it's dull, and gets duller as it moves along.
    If 'Star Wars, comic books and KISS' is your cultural jumping off point, we don't have much to talk about.
    As far as the 'toys that came from it', I wouldn't even know where to start.
    Maybe modern sensibilities have been warped to the point where the quality of an object is judged by its commercial reach, but really...
    But then again this is the magnetic center of the sneaker collector/worship universe, so go figure...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    whats up with the haters?? star wars pretty much shaped my childhood. building little forts for the starwars figures and burning off their heads and shit. i looooved all that shit.

what would yoda do?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    funky16corners said:
    As far as the 'toys that came from it', I wouldn't even know where to start.
    Maybe modern sensibilities have been warped to the point where the quality of an object is judged by its commercial reach, but really...
    But then again this is the magnetic center of the sneaker collector/worship universe, so go figure...

The OG Star Wars Kenner line changed the game. Even G.I. Joe followed their format.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    damn carrie fisher really was fine at one point in her life.

Billy Dee sneakin the Colt 45 in a Cloud City coffee cup