DIY re-edits

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Anyone mess with these? I do a few, either for friends or for my own amusement, but this re-edit of "Scratchin'" that I did last night has turned out OK, so I thought I'd throw it up here for the Strut Court to pass judgement upon. I did it on CoolEdit, and I haven't done anything too fancy with it; just lengthened a few parts and stretched out the breakdown for maximum b-boy action. Feel free to praise, trash, offer technical advice or add some examples of your own efforts.

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I like. Track is banging.
    Maybe you can add some Magic Disco-scratches/stabs to that breakdown part.

add some examples of your own efforts.

This is what Im trying to get together right now... its still work in progress and sound quality sucks.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I'll post one of mine up when I'm home later.

Has anyone ever done one of the original style danny krivit type re-edits splicing and joining pieces of audio tape?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I like. Track is banging.
    Maybe you can add some Magic Disco-scratches/stabs to that breakdown part.

add some examples of your own efforts.

This is what Im trying to get together right now... its still work in progress and sound quality sucks.

Sounds good. The beat reminds me a little of early AV8 releases, or some of those records Frankie Cutlass was putting out in the early/mid-90's.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I do very light re-edits to make songs more fun to mix in Serato. Usually just extending intros and looping breaks. Or making instrumental loops out of songs that don't have instrumentals.

Rufus & Chaka Khan - Any Love

That's nice and subtle. Oddly enough, "Any Love" is a tune I've been thinking of having a crack at. The 12" is pretty well served for breakdowns, but it might be fun to take some of the instrumental passages and try to knock out a little dub version.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Czech out my re-edit.

Love Town PHD Re-Edit

Let me know what you think.

Hatters welcome.

PS. Thats an M3U, so just left click it and it'll stream. [/b]

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    cochice_vs._high_fever_(DEVIL_MCDOOMS_EXTENDED_PIMP_MIX).mp3

and old one i did, enjoy that u serato rockers!

Czech out my re-edit.

Love Town PHD Re-Edit

Let me know what you think.

Hatters welcome.

PS. Thats an M3U, so just left click it and it'll stream. [/b]

That was cool. Some nice touches, too - pans and filtering can get overused sometimes, but if you're sparing with it, it can sound good.

In answer to your earlier post about old-fashioned razorblade editing, I had a go at that once a long time ago. In the mid-80's, I was in a band where we were aiming to sound like The Clash if they'd been produced by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. We never quite managed that, any more than we managed to get a record of our own out, but I had an idea for taking one of the songs we did record, and doing a Tom Moulton style re-edit on it. So I booked some studio time and, largely thanks to the efforts of a talented, enthusiastic and very patient engineer, worked up a five-an-a-half minute track into a decent-sounding nine-minute disco-rock effort. It came out on a local bands compilation not long after, but I lost my only copy of it years ago.

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage, as I don't know the source material, but it sounds pretty smoooth. Editing gets that little bit tougher when the part of the track you're working with has a lot going on, like percussion and such. But that sounds nice and tight, and the dynamic of the track is still intact.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

I'm at a bit of a disadvantage, as I don't know the source material, but it sounds pretty smoooth. Editing gets that little bit tougher when the part of the track you're working with has a lot going on, like percussion and such. But that sounds nice and tight, and the dynamic of the track is still intact.

yeah i dont know the source material either. i just did this for myself really about a year ago or so, and remembered it when i saw this thread. its actually stolen from a mixtape! both tracks are awfully short library tracks, like just over 1 minute each. i made the edit to have a longer version to listen to myself. my goal was to get the arrangement as realistic as possible, added some hihats, crashes and such. wish i didnt add those vocal quotes tho! haha

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Has anyone ever done one of the original style danny krivit type re-edits splicing and joining pieces of audio tape?

Yea, it's not that hard when you're not worried about fucking someone's master tape up. Once you get it, it's got. Like bike riding.

This mix on our site is an hour+ worth of re-edit/loop/blend type stuff.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    The Clash if they'd been produced by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis.

damn i'd like to hear that man... you lost the track????

The Clash if they'd been produced by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis.

damn i'd like to hear that man... you lost the track????

Yeah. I didn't have enough cash to buy the masters at the time. They sat at the studio for about a year. Then the studio went out of business, and I never found out what became of them. For years I only had a cassette copy of the track, because I'd sent all my copies of the comp out to press, labels, etc. I must emphasise that we never really made the concept work, but it was kinda funny seeing a pre-Fatboy Slim Norman Cook get a number one record in the UK about five years later, covering an SOS Band song and using a sample of a Clash bassline. Maybe there was something in it after all.