Do you take a portable turntable with you when record shopping?

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
If so, what kind?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Almond said:
    If so, what kind?

Soundburger.

[/thread]

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Too cool for school.

Do you have to locate an outlet to plug it in, or does it run on batteries?

• Sometimes I like to bring my Numark portable, but I've been finding it to be more of a hassle than a convenience, particularly when you're dealing with 6 D batteries!

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    90% of the time i will (especially if its going to be at a place place i know either does not have any sort of listening statin, or the dude behind the counter will play your records if you ask him kind of set up), i either use the vestax or the numark, vestax is lighter, numark is a little louder

• spexxxspexxx 37 Posts
    I used to always take one (Numark) whenever I went out looking for stuff,but it killed the fun of getting home and finding out what I discovered.Only time I still use one or even a listening station for that matter is when I'm dealing with pricy wax or a ton of 45's.Always brought along and left in the ride if needed though.

Good ol' Numark PT-01

• Never. The gamble is part of the thrill. That's just me.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    street_muzik said:
    Never. The gamble is part of the thrill. That's just me.

depends on the record.

there are certain records ill buy no matter what, others ill have to needle drop just to see what the deal is.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    When ever I go to the market I take my Vestax.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    this is like the 10th portable turntable thread on the new strut... someone please summarise all other threads and sticky!

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I have two GP3 for about 5 years now and only recently started using one of them to check 45s.
    Near my house there's a store that has hundreds of thousands of 7"s and my 45 game is weak.
    It allows me to avoid the chud and discover nice stuff that I'd pass on because the artists are unknown
    and due to the total lack of information on the covers and label.

This one:

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I have a Numark PT-01, but I haven't taken it out since 2006-7. I like the element of surprise.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    street_muzik said:

This and the fact that I'm too lazy.

Besides, you never know when a bout of record shopping will break out.

Also, I have quite a few things I love that might not have passed the needle drop test.

• 75% of the time I don't even bring it.

The rest of the time, when there's an extended trip involved with multiple stops and potential heaps of junk, I'll stick it in the trunk just in case. 75% of those times, I never take it out of the trunk.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    street_muzik said:

Plus, since I pretty much search out the entire store, I couldn't get through everything if I used a portable. Time is of the essence.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    MoogMan said:

that's what I use - it's the best overall machine for getting into some real diggin

I have a soundburger too, but I never use it - it's OK for digging at record shows etc, but if the records are dusty or dirty it doesn't work so hot

numark & vestax portables are crap btw & I'm sure the crosley soundburger imitation will be complete shit as well

re fleamarkets & thrifts: if you are checking shit on a portable, you're doing it wrong ;)

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    street_muzik said:

MAJOR COSIGN. I will hit a listening station if a record is a bit pricey though, but that doesn't even happen too often.