For everybody who says Banksy is overrated...

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    THIS THREAD NEEDS COSMO

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    yeah i cant say i am really feeling Banksy at all, not sure why though as i dont have any explaination for it...i did the Simpson last night and the girl and i both were shocked at the banksy add to the intro, i definately dont consider it graffiti..

but imo i do think he is "somewhat" overrated, that Robbo & Banksy drama was pointless though, still hard to believe Banksy painted over that piece...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Okem said:

Soulstrut fell off years ago.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    my favorite thing about Banksy is how asshurt he makes soul strut dudes.

• Isn't Banksy a bit one note at this point?

b/w

I know, i know... when the world changes, he will, blah, blah, etc.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Ayrotollah77 said:
    Having said that i don't think he should be considered a graff writer 'cause i doubt the guy ever did a throwup.

yo P I agree with everything you said but this...

writers don't own the term Graffiti

graf??fi??ti
    /gr????fiti/ Show Spelled[gruh-fee-tee] Show IPA
    ???noun
    pl. of graffito.
    ( used with a plural verb ) markings, as initials, slogans, or drawings, written, spray-painted, or sketched on a sidewalk, wall of a building or public restroom, or the like: These graffiti are evidence of the neighborhood's decline.
    ( used with a singular verb ) such markings as a whole or as constituting a particular group: Not much graffiti appears around here these days.

dude is, in fact, a graffiti artist.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Herm said:
    STFU AND KIM.

Tonight's episode of The Simpsons...intro directed by Banksy:

why is this so great/provacative? is it bcuz unicorn rights are really underrepresented? fwiw the simpsons itself has basically made this joke itself before. theres nothing going on here that hasnt been done by the show itself in the past

Banksy did traditional graffiti in the early 90's, but switched up his game plan i guess after getting busted (or almost getting busted) and figured out stensil style was much faster to pull off, i dont generally call "his style" graffiti and grouping him with writers would be like grouping him with every 12yr old that picks up a can and scribbles "penis" on the back of his school. but i dont discredit it because its not my idea of traditional graffiti, i think of things like stensilling/wheatpaste parts of graffiti in some sense, like i think of beatboxing/production being hiphop..

Banksy has his own definitive style, picked up from some early french writer i believe, who started stensiling back in the early 80's, the definition of graffiti is a bit of a joke as well because it seems as though it was created by someone who doesnt know the difference between art and vandalism, i like how they just group it all together...ugh..and claim that spots with graffiti are "evidence of the neighborhood's decline"

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Ayrotollah77 said:
    As for Banksy, I think he is clever and productive and he's good at conveying a message. Having said that i don't think he should be considered a graff writer 'cause i doubt the guy ever did a throwup.

He was never the greatest, which is probably what made him gravitate towards the stencils, but he wasn't some toy, or artschool adventurer, who got lucky.

Old works:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/catobristol/441287397/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/romanywg/3552400462/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/catobristol/1107541111/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/catobristol/2183410409/

• snosno 332 Posts
    The Simpsons' intro at least try to "tackle" some issues (whether those are still relevant or not).

This, on the other hand, is a total "street arts as commodity" celebration:

The whole thing is just about sell, sell, sell, sell, sell : the KAWS book, shopping totes are for sale to those who can present receipts of shopping in the shopping mall for a certian amount of Hong Kong dollars.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    im ok with people making money from art

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/11/the-simpsons-explains-its-button-pushing-banksy-opening

Q. Can you say what got cut out?

A. I???ll just say, it was even a little sadder. But I would have to say almost all of it stayed in. We were thrilled. It was funny, I watched ???Mad Men??? last night and I wondered if this was my Don Draper letter to The New York Times. I knew just how he felt. But it was great to have a secret.

• sup dudes! i wish i could comment but im neck deep in this nonsense right now. so instead, heres some "street art" titled "MY LUNCH"

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    sup dudes! i wish i could comment but im neck deep in this nonsense right now. so instead, heres some "street art" titled "MY LUNCH"

Banksy's way doper than cilantro.

yeah the KAWS "street art" is depressing to me, he was such a sick writer in the mid 90's i remember the metlife airplane billboard and checking crazy e2e t2b whole cars only to see him doing things like this with his talents, at least he is still doing art and making a living off of doing what he does..even if it means making stupid looking bubbly characters...

• Woimsah said:
    grandpa_shig said:
    sup dudes! i wish i could comment but im neck deep in this nonsense right now. so instead, heres some "street art" titled "MY LUNCH"

Banksy's way doper than cilantro.

ta babosa! its mint

Tapatio > Cholula. 'Specially when it's The Mac-related.

• speaking of which, i might be out your way early next month.

ps
    those tortilla chips are no joke. not that pressed particle board shit.

• people really feeling the banksy simpsons collabo? with the dark scary music? was that supposed to be some sort of profound commentary on something? corny.

• people of earth: please stop posting this as a facebook update.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    people really feeling the banksy simpsons collabo? with the dark scary music? was that supposed to be some sort of profound commentary on something? corny.

after reading al jean's interview, seeing the actual product, and knowing banksy's proclivity for anti-establishment laden self-establishing, it seemed like what he storyboarded was some form of a teenager-like 'fuck you for even asking' kind of thing; sending back a product that he thought they would never green light. but maybe the people at FOX called his bluff and did it despite him. after all, no such thing as bad publicity, especially when your formerly untouchable show in the untouchable time slot hasn't produced a good episode in over 5 years. banksy corroborating this as his work to wave his flag beside FOX's could stand to be the ultimate irony in this otherwise uninteresting bit of post-modernist pap.

the whole thing could probably be personified by the episode where homer becomes the travelling cannon-in-the-belly guy for springfield's answer to lollapalooza; the hipster who, when asked if he's being sarcastic or not, answers: "i dont even know anymore".

but hey, i'm just talkin' over here.

Controller_7 said:
    people of earth: please stop posting this as a facebook update.

Hey! That's where I first saw it which led me to start this thread! AND it was Mik*2600's status that brought it to my attention!

• did anyone else actually watch the full episode? there were actually a few good jokes in there! 1st episode of the simpsons i'd seen in yeaaaaaars. still, nowhere near the classic episodes.

• So I'm a likkle late on the bandwagon here and have drunk a third of a bottle of shiraz but..,

I read this as a sort of grander scale f-you to rupert murdoch/fox (and therefor fox news) outsourcing of labor to third world countries where labor/art is cheap, etc. and all implications that stem from it. Koreans animating the beloved american tv show, chinese cheap knock off simpson paraphernalia, global branding and corporateness etc.

Or maybe i'm just tripping off this good ass wine and this thread is pretty unthoughtful.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Okem said:
    Ayrotollah77 said:
    As for Banksy, I think he is clever and productive and he's good at conveying a message. Having said that i don't think he should be considered a graff writer 'cause i doubt the guy ever did a throwup.

He was never the greatest, which is probably what made him gravitate towards the stencils, but he wasn't some toy, or artschool adventurer, who got lucky.

Old works:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/catobristol/441287397/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/romanywg/3552400462/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/catobristol/1107541111/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/catobristol/2183410409/

Well with all due respect homeboy those 4 joints are pretty much toy as shit. And I don't hate him at all like people do around here...

Brian said:
    THIS THREAD NEEDS COSMO

YOU GOT IT BRO.

• He's aite but he's no Reminisce.

Damn! What happened to her?? Those horses she did were dope!

• dj_cityboy said:

Banksy has his own definitive style, picked up from some early french writer i believe, who started stensiling back in the early 80's"

blek le rat. the similarity is pretty much plagiarism, in the look, style, themes and so on of the work.

heres an interview with blek http://swindlemagazine.com/issue11/blek-le-rat/

Why rats?

Blek: "The rat is the only free animal in the city. It???s an animal that people fear and has a strong history of bringing disease. When rats invade a town, it is bad."

banksy started off doing rats