impressed, volume 3

neil_somethingneil_something 993 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
thought this might be of interest to some of the jazz fans here....

http://orgyinrhythm.blogspot.com/2010/10/impressed-3-here-now.html

Comments

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Very nice gesture of the compiler, downloaded it last week but haven't got around listening to it yet.

The first two volumes are some of the best jazz comps I ever heard. British 60's jazz is solid (and rare).''

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Interesting story about it on that link. I know a few people at UCJ, so I'll have to see if I can find out why they pulled it.

• proper. shame it'll never come out.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    The following file is not available:

http://rapidshare.com/files/422335836/IMPRESSED_3.rar

Gah! Loved the first two. Power to the people for getting this out there.

Can a bravvvah ook a mavvah fakkkah ap wiv a link pon di peee-emm?

• WOW - thanks for posting this!

edit: link doesnt work for me; anyone can reup?

I'm uploading it now. Give me a few more minutes.

EDIT: It's taking ages to upload, so please be patient.

Also, my contact at UCJ said; I'm surprised they were even bothering with a third volume, as the first two made NO money. Riddled with problems, too - lots of obscure labels, really difficult to license - sold about 10 copies to nice people, rest of the world just ignored it...

DocMcCoy said:
    rest of the world just ignored it...

Like Brit Jazz.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts

• DocMcCoy said:
    Also, my contact at UCJ said; I'm surprised they were even bothering with a third volume, as the first two made NO money. Riddled with problems, too - lots of obscure labels, really difficult to license - sold about 10 copies to nice people, rest of the world just ignored it...

Sad but true. But it would be nice to think that labels could put something out for the love of it once in a while rather than just to make money...

neil_something said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Sad but true. But it would be nice to think that labels could put something out for the love of it once in a while rather than just to make money...

To be fair, Universal (or Polygram, as it was at the time) did do quite a bit of that back when the late, great Richard Cook was heading the jazz department. In fact, it could be argued that the work he did founding the Redial reissue label, and the stuff they put out by the likes of Tubby Hayes and Joe Harriott, was what created the momentum for the Impressed series to begin with.

They don't call it the music business for nothing, though.

EDIT: My connection is reeeaaaaaaallllllyyyyy ssssssllllllllloooooooowwwww today, so I'm going to try to re-up this later.

• edit: downloading now. will try to upload for others

edit#2: ...and here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?pyb9yso9fuhg6c4

Yeah, the original link seems to be OK now.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Those first two volumes were killer.

CD for vol 2 became fiended over at one point IIRC. Sold for solid loot upon the bay.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    neil_something said:
    it would be nice to think that labels could put something out for the love of it once in a while rather than just to make money...

The vast majority of releases any label puts out will be complete, non-money-making failures. Not releasing an album that a label expects to lose money isn't being selfish.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Yes it is.

Fuck the money, think about the glory.

• Have a homemade sleeve:

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    Useless fact of the day for Friday....

Those fingerprints belong to Tony Higgins, and not G.P.

Not at lot a people know that....hahaha

I hope he has identity theft cover.

Speaking of GP, do boutique diggeurs get dusty fingers?

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    I hope he has identity theft cover.

Speaking of GP, do boutique diggeurs get dusty fingers?

Only if they don't clean their computer keyboards very often, too much online buying. Though this does mean you don't wear out your shoes as quickly I suppose...LOL!

• DocMcCoy said:

Just read a response from Tony Higgins to this over on Brownswood (I think Nick posted the above quote over there):
    http://brownswood.5.forumer.com/index.php?s=8506fcd2797e7ced64c7b1d4b1a38806&showtopic=31991&st=30

Hi, let me correct a few things mentioned about Impressed 1 & 2. They did not lose money at all; indeed, they sold around 15,000 copies. Not huge, but respectable for a collection of that type. I've seen the sales figures. I wrote the sleevenotes.

The tracks on 1 & 2 were not from 'obscure labels' at all. They were from mainstream companies - apart from two tracks on vol 2 that had not been previously released - the Mike Taylor tribute track (that I got personally from Neil Ardely before he died) and the Amancio 'D'Silva track. Again, I got that from Amancio's widow. License fee was in the region of ??500.

The 'problems' were with Universal not giving a damn about their catalogue, or the people who buy their music. I had earmarked about 30 albums for full reissue under the Impressed Re-pressed banner - thanks to Universal's lamentable attitude, they sold in low numbers; but did not lose money. They let key albums such as the Rendell - Carr slip out on other labels when they could/should have done a proper, reissue programme. As it was, the Dutton reissues were a good job.

As for some of the comments about downloads'devaluing' the music - that's total sh*t. Downloads do not affect the monetary value of rare records nor do they affect the subjective value one places on records/tunes. If you feel angry that that a rare jazz tune can now be enjoyed by others rather than yourself, sitting in your jazz bunker.. then shame on you. I can't stand that attitude and always have - total snobbery. It's nonsense.

And for the record, I was going to put a track from Don Rendell's 'Spacewalk' on Impressed 3, but decided for the live number. With Don's blessing.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Maybe the project got scrapped because Tony Higgins' records aren't clean enough/clicky. He needs to step his NM game up. I hope that wasn't the sound quality he wanted to go to print with on some of those tracks.

• Could someone please kindly post the actual tracks for the intended album as im currently none the wiser...all the links lead to dead ends

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    slsk

• PM me with your email address and I sort you out.