Buffet Appreciation Post...

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I love goin' to Buffet's.In Australia I get down with Sizzler and just go nuts on all that shit... pasta, potato, salad, the cheese bread, etc.I know a lot of people think Buffets are nasty, when I was living in Houston I went to some real dirty ones...In Japan they call Buffet's "VIKING STYLE"... They got like all you can eat shabu-shabu (beef hotpot) or yaki-niku (bbq on the table meat), but nothing beats walking up with a plate and dishin' on some nasty 6 hour old grub!!!What's the buffets like in your part of the world?peace.

Comments

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    If only McDonald's had a buffet......

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I thought you were talking about Jimmy Buffett for a second, fuck that hippie.

Yeah, buffets are the shit. Got one around my way for Indian Food, cant stop cant stop, just... one... more... samosa...

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    The key to a successful chinese buffet outing

7.95 Lunch - 12pm to 5pm
    12.95 Dinner 5pm - 11pm (this includes the gigantic king crab legs)

Arrival Time : 4:45pm

Spend the first 15 minutes just flappin gums.
    all you can eat king crab legs for 7.95 booya!!!!

This is how you stick it to the system.

• The key to a successful chinese buffet outing

7.95 Lunch - 12pm to 5pm

admittedly, my fat ass has tried this on many occaisions. but they usually do a sweep about a half hour before "dinner service". they aint hip to this in brooklyn yet?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

oh shit! i'm gunna build me one of those!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldtasty/sets/53508/

peace.

These pics bring back so many memories. I love buffet restaurants. Around my way I usually go for the veggie buffet at RizRaz, but I always try to scope out the good buffet spots when I'm on the move.

• i really liked that fresh choice buffet when that was around. havent seen one in a while though as it defeats the purpose of a true buffet.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    A lot of those salad bars (i.e. Fresh Choice) use salad dressings with crazy additives so that each bite is like 100 calories so people get full faster.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    This is how you stick it to the small business owners.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    A lot of those salad bars (i.e. Fresh Choice) use salad dressings with crazy additives so that each bite is like 100 calories so people get full faster.

• mmm...additives

• Options
    I remember once my friends and I "prepared" for the buffet at Hot House on Front St only to be lambasted by the roast beef server.

"Where are all you tall skinny fucks putting all that food. I ain't never seen nobody come up here 8 times and get plates you need 2 hands to hold. I'm thinking I won't have a job next week."

Eating Competition Ringer, K.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    let me guess who you were with....

Little India on Queen by University - best Indian buffet downtown

Embassy at Finch and Middlefield - best Indian buffet uptown

Vinnie Zucchini's at Dufferin and Steeles - pasta island! salad island! polenta counter! dessert island! roasted potatoes and grilled eggplant! screaming children running about! huge groups of fine young suburban things tying on feedbags!

• Options

Little India on Queen by University - best Indian buffet downtown

Let's go! You going to WIll's thing at Social tomorrow?

K.

if you're around - we should go this sunday and then we can go a few doors down and bug soul brother #1.

nah - i kinda hate that place...you know me - grumpy old anti-gentrification me...besides, it's a school night - i gotta be in bed by 10 PM.

how was the wedding?

• Options
    HEadache just ended at lunchtime. It was ill.

K.

ouch..

oh yea - thinking about seeing this tomorrow, interested?

Title: Une Femme est une femme (A Woman is a Woman)
    Foreign Title: A Woman is a Woman
    Director: Jean-Luc Godard
    Year: 1961
    Runtime: 84 min
    Cast: Anna Karina, Jean-Paul Belmondo

Screening times and locations:
    Tuesday, August 9, 2005 8:15 PM
    All films are screened at Jackman Hall

Film Description:
    A recently struck, newly subtitled Scope print of "one of the few absolutely necessary films in Godard???s canon . . . altogether one of his most pleasing and vivacious films . . . Godard???s purest celebration of both life and movies" (James Monaco). UNE FEMME EST UNE FEMME???s wild, wide-screen colour spectacle, which Godard once called "my first real film," serves as a showcase for Karina, then the director???s wife, who plays a stripper who wants to have a baby. When her lover (Jean-Claude Brialy) refuses to fulfil her wishes, she recruits his best friend (Belmondo) to get her pregnant. "It???s hard to tell if this is a comedy or a tragedy," Karina states in a typically Brechtian aside in the film, "but it???s a masterpiece." As Anthony Lane noted when the film was recently re-released in New York, as Karina "flutters her dark-rimmed eyes or puts a scandalized palm to her cheek, she could be a starlet from the era of early silents, testing the limits of a new medium. But she holds the camera???s attention without strain or scheming, and, in her beret, her white-fur collar, and her patriotic changes of stocking ??? now red, now blue ??? she effortlessly tugs us along with her racing moods." No wonder she won the best actress award at the Berlin film festival.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The best buffet in town here is Pho Hoa Binh..Vietnamese steez...mostly an all tofu buffet...good and cheap...4.99. Lemongrass tofu, tofu and black beans, a couple different soups. Sometimes the main dude, Hung, makes a new dish that isnt on the menu for the buffet...he made up this ginger/coconut dish the other day that was killer. Sometimes I hit it about 1PM and dont eat the rest of the day..making that food dollar go further...

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    If you eat meat then you need to go to Brasil The all you can eat churrascarias are (in the words of Crazy Eddie) INSANE!

• dizzydizzy 11 Posts
    I love goin' to Buffet's.

In Australia I get down with Sizzler and just go nuts on all that shit... pasta, potato, salad, the cheese bread, etc.

peace.

Damn they closed all the Sizzlers 'round here but that shit was

• yaki-niku (bbq on the table meat)

need to find some places near me that have this.
    it was probably the best meal i had in japan.

• YO SHEEPY, LET THESE MOTHERFUCKERS KNOW ABOUT THE NOMIHYODAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    In Montreal, it's all about the Jardin Tiki. While it's not a proper Tiki bar, it is one of the last true examples of the Tiki aesthetic in central Canada (and probably most of the eastern US). Their buffet is why they're still in business, despite the fact that it's the vilest spread I've ever encountered. Suffice to say that for seven bucks you got a selection of foodstuffs where everything that could come out of a can has. Nevertheless, it is the only place to go for watered-down Mai Tais served by surly bottle blond geriatrics that you drink sourounded by hanging blowfishs, snarling tikis, and general tiki kitsch. Good times.

Somewhere on the internet there's a hysterical video of me stealing a menu from the joint. All I'll say is that if anybody finds it I'm never getting into public office.

• having been a head cook at an all you eat buffet lemme tell you, shit is nasty!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    There's gotta be over 30 Buffets here in Las Vegas. I think what's interesting is how they try to differ from each other. Rio trys to keep it diverse with it's huge thematic setting. The Wynn buffet looks like the wizard of Oz. There are so many cheap ones with all you can eat blah. Especially sea food. It really just makes me want to eat at home.

- spidey

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    The key to a successful chinese buffet outing

7.95 Lunch - 12pm to 5pm

admittedly, my fat ass has tried this on many occaisions. but they usually do a sweep about a half hour before "dinner service". they aint hip to this in brooklyn yet?

I havent visited in years. This was like 99' 00' and we had that place on lock. We had rotating shifts. One person would be incharge of getting crab legs. Ah this was pre-girlfriend era

There is a all you can eat sushi near by but scared of the fish quality

• edubedub 715 Posts

margaritaville

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Quote of the year therein.........."Pizza Hut is actually considered to be upscale dining in China!"

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    If you eat meat then you need to go to Brasil The all you can eat churrascarias are (in the words of Crazy Eddie) INSANE!

Tell me about it! I was just in Rio D.J. and I went to Porcao with some friends. That shit was just crazy. You had a circular piece of paper with a pig's face on it in front of you saying "Thank you" on on side and "No Thank You" on the other. If you wanted a meat restock, you just turned it to the "Thank You" side and there would be a army of waiters rushing to your seat with stick of all kinds of meat that would be sliced for you on the spot, just like you see on the pic. Beef, pork, lamb, whatever.

-> But being a vegetarian, that kind of buffet spot gets nuttin' but an from me, .