Washing Denim

2»

Comments

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    holmes said:
    Horseleech said:
    I never realized that this was so complicated. I wash 'em when they're dirty in cold water and they last a couple of years, then I buy new ones.
    yep

I've read less complicated threads on washing vinyl

• Gotta nurse those sick fadez, bro.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    $35 for jeans is balleur to me. PRIMARK, baby. Decent threads for less than a tenner. Rotate about 5 pairs, they only fray on the ground, but (and DocMc will back me up here) the Scally look has never gone out of fashion.

Thank f*ck.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    These are the washing instructions that come with them APC joints, the denim I currently roll with-
    I just toss em in the machine and hang em up to dry tho - works fine

Denim Washing Recipes

Extremist recipe
    Let your jeans get dirty for as long as possible.
    First wash: Dry clean.
    Following washes: soak your jeans for about an hour in water with a little special dark laundry detergent, rinse, roll in a terrycloth towel and hang up to dry.

Semi extremist recipe
    Soak your jeans for about an hour in water with a little special dark laundry detergent added, don't scrub, rinse, wring and hang up to let the water drain.

Machine recipe
    Machine wash at 30??C (90??F), delicate cycle, no spin cycle, with woolite black.

Seawater recipe
    Let your jeans get dirty for as long as possible, go swimming in the ocean wearing your jeans, rub your jeans with dry sand, and repeat several times. Rinse in fresh (not salt) and let dry in the sun.
    ----

• Never b/w heavy airings.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    it really depends on the denin, quality and cut.
    I used to work for a Sneaker/Denim store and we reccomended to wash as little as possible, air out as much as possible and if you do deed to wash there was a Japanese Selvedge denim place across the road that sold a special washing solution. I also have been told for selvedge denim to keep a good fit you can wash them whilst wearing them in the bath.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    the_dL said:
    to keep a good fit you can wash them whilst wearing them in the bath.

classic levis commercial

• really? you piss and moan about pet threads, but you are on here looking for laundry tips? take that shit to goodhousekeeping.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    I never realized that this was so complicated. I wash 'em when they're dirty in cold water and they last a couple of years, then I buy new ones.

If you're not the predetermined standard size and shape, it's hard to find clothes, especially pants (that waist/length ratio gets me every time). When you find jeans that fit right, you want them to last forever and ever.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    really? you piss and moan about pet threads, but you are on here looking for laundry tips? take that shit to goodhousekeeping.

Maintaining your sexy as a DJ should be a priority, unless you bring your dog to the set.

• batmon said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    really? you piss and moan about pet threads, but you are on here looking for laundry tips? take that shit to goodhousekeeping.

Maintaining your sexy as a DJ should be a priority, unless you bring your dog to the set.

I wear 517s...the unwashed cardboard boot cut junts. 70s style. I was born too late...tshirt, jeans, harness boots...goes with the hairstyle.

The_Hook_Up said:
    batmon said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

I wear 517s...the unwashed cardboard boot cut junts. 70s style. I was born too late...tshirt, jeans, harness boots...goes with the hairstyle.

That's cool, but is your dog in the DJ booth w/ u?

• outdoor daytime gig I bring him with me...indoor nighttime gig no...
    batmon said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    batmon said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

That's cool, but is your dog in the DJ booth w/ u?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    bassie said:
    If you're not the predetermined standard size and shape, it's hard to find clothes, especially pants (that waist/length ratio gets me every time). When you find jeans that fit right, you want them to last forever and ever.
    In the past, with stuff like jeans (which are pretty standard and not really subject to whims and vagary, that other fashion garments suffer) I will, when I find a pair that become like a second skin, buy the exact pair again and keep them at the bottom of the draw, until the current pair die.

• I'm with bassie on the waist/length thing...I'm big bit I am also tall..it seems that any store you go into..as the waist goes high, the inseam gets shorter..WTF?I gotta go online for pants...ya ever try and find a pair of 38/34 in a store? It's impossible.

Okem said:
    bassie said:
    In the past, with stuff like jeans (which are pretty standard and not really subject to whims and vagary, that other fashion garments suffer) I will, when I find a pair that become like a second skin, buy the exact pair again and keep them at the bottom of the draw, until the current pair die.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    bassie said:
    Horseleech said:

This makes sense. I'm of pretty average proportions so I usually don't have problems, except by the time there's a sale my size is always gone.

I had a jean jacket years ago that I loved by a defunct company (Edwin) and I wore it until it was practically a mesh shirt - never washed it once.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Edwin is still around, at least in Europe and Japan. You can probably find your jacket again if you do some searching.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Okem said:

YUP.

asstro said:
    Edwin is still around, at least in Europe and Japan. You can probably find your jacket again if you do some searching.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Years ago some supermodel type stopped me on the street and was like WHERE DID YOU GET THAT? saying that they had been OOP for years, that was the extent of my research.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    asstro said:

Years ago some supermodel type stopped me on the street and was like WHERE DID YOU GET THAT? saying that they had been OOP for years, that was the extent of my research.

http://www.denimgeek.com/archives/60

nzshadow said:
    Horseleech said:
    asstro said:

Thanks. I did a little research since your post and found out that supermodel was right, my jacket was probably from the 70's and would be worth many $$$ if I still had it in decent shape. I bought it in the early 90's at Domsies and it was already pretty old at that time.

They don't sell in the U.S. and they are pretty pricey now anyway.

nzshadow said:
    Horseleech said:
    asstro said:

Thanks. I did a little research since your post and found out that supermodel was right, my jacket was probably from the 70's and would be worth many $$$ if I still had it in decent shape. I bought it in the early 90's at Domsies and it was already pretty old at that time.

nzshadow said:
    Horseleech said:
    asstro said:

Horseleech said:

supermodel type stopped me on the street and was like WHEN CAN I SEE THAT?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Almond said:

And dry cleaning 2x a year? I suggest laundering your denim every 1 to 4 times you wear it. Wash your siht, folls.

it's true. laundering doesn't apply to expensive high quality raw denim. when you buy a pair of $200-$400 jeans you want it to last and every jeansmith here is going to tell you not to wash unless you absolutely have to. one wash can turn a pair of raw denim black jeans indigo.

and yes, it is kinda gross but it's kind of an established don't ask/don't tell rule when it comes to raw denim. ha

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    $35 for jeans is balleur to me. PRIMARK, baby. Decent threads for less than a tenner. Rotate about 5 pairs, they only fray on the ground, but (and DocMc will back me up here) the Scally look has never gone out of fashion.

Thank f*ck.

If you're going the budget route, Uniqlo is way better, and much more stylish too. I still wear my jeans with a slight turn-up, just enough to show off the selvedge - never been able to let go of that 80s thing where you rocked your 501s like that to show they were 60's/70's vintage - but fraying is an inevitability, yeah.

The first place I saw evidence of the flares revival was at Maine Road in 84/85, oddly enough.

Anyway - as infrequenly as possible without being a public menace, but inside out, 30 degrees, mild liquid detergent, line-dry.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Herm said:
    501's are like $35. Wear 'em without washing 'til Febreze no longer helps, wash 'em, donate 'em and buy a new pair.

H.E.R.M.

• i've worn the same pair of APC new standards without washing them for over a year.

i always use the freezer trick - doesn't clean shit, but zaps away the stink

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

If you're going the budget route, Uniqlo is way better, and much more stylish too.

Yep - my favourite jeans. I have to hem them still, but the fit is delightful.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    J i m s t e r said:

If you're going the budget route, Uniqlo is way better, and much more stylish too.

Yep - my favourite jeans. I have to hem them still, but the fit is delightful.

All my hardcore fashionista peoples ride for Uniqlo.