Bass feedback--amp/turntable placement?

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
just moved to tucson, haven't posted in awhile, but only a few of y'all know me anyways.

i'm having weird bass feedback issues with my setup (wordup digdug). first, i had my amp sitting above one of the turntables, and there was massive bass feed back, so i moved the amp down behind the turntables. so now it's sitting behind the mixer in between both turntables and behind them. the weird thing is that now there is still bass feedback, but only on the right turntable at medium to high volume. but even though the left turntable is the same distance from the amp there is no bass feedback at all, even at really high volumes. i switched needles to see if it was the grounding wire in the cartridged or something but the same thing happenned. any ideas?

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    man, I just moved my whole setup and I'm STILL having similar problems

they say its the proximity of the SPEAKERS to your TTs...

is this contagious? cuz I think I caught it from you, it started the last time you were here...

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    man, I just moved my whole setup and I'm STILL having similar problems

they say its the proximity of the SPEAKERS to your TTs...

is this contagious? cuz I think I caught it from you, it started the last time you were here...

must be the shit i caught while on the planet krypton.

i don't buy the whole speakers thing, cause it's happenning with just one turntable, and the other table is closer to a speaker.

plus the ultra-lows on one of my speakers are fucked. anybody know anything about fixing that? could it just be a wire?

• mooneymooney 48 Posts
    If Carolina and Arizona are the only places having this problem, it must be heat related.

Or more likely speaker than amp related like my man Dig Dug suggested.

Seems to be a million home and club remedies for this commmon ailment, but it usually comes down to making sure the turntable is on a solid stable surface that has some mass.

A good table with patio paving stones on top is a common club fix. If you have some road cases, they might provide enough isolation and stability do the trick as well. Its a common problem, so everyone has their own thoughts on the dreaded rumble.

Good luck,

thanks for the advice, i'll try putting some solid shit under the turntable. could be the other turntable is more solid (they are different).

now, anyone know how to fix low-lows on a speaker? it may have gotten fucked up when it got knocked over in the move. could it be a loose wire? i don't want to open the shit up with no knowledge for fear of fucking it up even more.

• now, anyone know how to fix low-lows on a speaker? it may have gotten fucked up when it got knocked over in the move. could it be a loose wire? i don't want to open the shit up with no knowledge for fear of fucking it up even more.

It might be just be wired out of phase, try switching the positive and negative wires around. Beyond that I don't think there's much you can do- a speaker's usually just a magnet and a cone, mounted in a box.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    When we had bass rumble problems at Jackpot, it turned out that adding a little extra weight on the cartridge helped. We had tracking set at a very light 1.5g but upping it to 2.5 helped a bit. But I do mean "a bit."

Cosign on keeping turntables away from speaker source, having a sturdy surface on which to put the decks, and keeping the turns in the road cases. All of those have helped in varying degrees in club situations.

• When we had bass rumble problems at Jackpot, it turned out that adding a little extra weight on the cartridge helped. We had tracking set at a very light 1.5g but upping it to 2.5 helped a bit. But I do mean "a bit."

Cosign on keeping turntables away from speaker source, having a sturdy surface on which to put the decks, and keeping the turns in the road cases. All of those have helped in varying degrees in club situations.

Yes, bass feedback is due to the needles picking up bass vibrations through the record. As an example, take a record and put in on your turntable, then put the needle on the record while it is stopped. Then tap the record - you'll hear what sounds like a bass kick. Same thing happens in a club but on a louder scale.

All the suggestions above will work great - the less vibrations that reach your table the better

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    also make sure the feet on the turntable aren't tight up against the table - they should be screwed down enough so there is at least 1/4 inch of space between the foot and the table. and that the tables aren't touching the mixer or the wall or anything else - the only contact they should have is to the surface under them through the feet.

thanks for the suggestions. i think i understand what's going on now. i have my setup on this ikea computer desk called the JERKER (no ayo...), and there's this brace that fit fine for the left side of the table, but one of the hole on the right side was not in the right place, by like 1/4 of an inch. so i plan to put that brace on after i get around to redrilling a hole. so in other words, the right turntable, which was having the bass feedback trouble, was on a less supported side of the desk, and so was probably vibrating more. hopefully when i get that brace on it'll be all fixed.

• i've solved this problem in the past by standing the turntable feet on individual rolls of duct tape strung with thick rubber bands. isolates the whole thing, makes it less susceptible to vibrations being picked up from the surface it's sitting on.