Underrated artists

DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I'm not talking about private press rares, i'm talking about artists who are on the radar but still don't get the respect they probably deserve or have been overshadowed by an artist/band they're associated with...

Justin Broderick
Kurupt
Leroy Hutson
Johnny Marr
Beanie Seigel
Nick Mason

Comments

• haha, what association has "overshadowed" Justin Broadrick? There is a sizeable community out there that will trip over themselves to snatch up anything bearing his name.

• Hammertime i totally agree with you however he still seems to be sort of under appreciated in the over all scheme of things. also im just throwing this thread out to counter the hate in the overrated thread....

• my choice for all-time most underrated artist is Bill Withers. amazing, lots of hits, timeless songs that were influential and still get played/covered constantly, but yet is never mentioned in the "pantheon" with Stevie, Marvin, Curtis, MJ, Sly, James, etc.

also, the Whispers.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    MC Ren. It's understandable that you'd be overshadowed by a still-hungry Ice Cube, Dr. Dre beats from when Dre was making interesting music, and the cartoon character that was Eazy-E, but still...Ren was straight-up killing shit on those NWA albums (his solo shit was kinda ) and never seems to get his due props for it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    DustedDon said:

Kurupt

This guy is extremely over-rated

• unityunity 179 Posts
    willie_fugal said:

also, the Whispers.

Could I also add Leon Sylvers III as a producer to this?

• DustedDon said:
    I'm not talking about private press rares, i'm talking about artists who are on the radar but still don't get the respect they probably deserve or have been overshadowed by an artist/band they're associated with...

Beanie Seigel

Beanie Seigel was underrated but now he is just a nobody. Dude acts like Jay-Z owes him something.He needs to man up and focus on bringing back that old Beanie Sigel shit that is greatly missed.

• unity said:
    willie_fugal said:

also, the Whispers.

definitely; hugely underrated producer.

• Big cosign on Bill Withers

Willie Hutch,
    Bobby Womack,
    Rusty Bryant,
    Boogaloo Joe Jones,
    Stix Hooper,
    John Guerin, etc

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Young Holt Unlimited incl solo efforts

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    DustedDon said:

Kurupt

This guy is extremely hit or miss

I think he's crazy nice when he's on, and his longevity is a testament to that. But I wouldn't elevate him more than that.

• Ken Parker, Keith Hudson or Roy Panton.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    unity said:
    willie_fugal said:

also, the Whispers.

definitely; hugely underrated producer.

As much as dudes jock the Sylvers, that Dick Griffey RIP thread was mad chirp when discussing SOLAR records and the impact Leon had on the game.

Strider79it said:
    Willie Hutch

His vocals on The Mack and Foxy Brown are incredible.

I just dont see dude getting bumped up the pantheon next to the Marvin and Stevie.

Heads know. Old Black Folk know. Its a wrap after that.

I doubt kids downloaded his shit after the UGK hit?

El Debarge is underated IMO.

http://www.iviewtube.com/v/158809/el-debarge-medley-(live-2010-bet-awards-performance)

• As far as the jazz world it seems like Jackie is underrated and rarely mentioned among the greats yet he has so many albums in my regular rotation

• batmon said:
    Strider79it said:
    Willie Hutch

His vocals on The Mack and Foxy Brown are incredible.

I just dont see dude getting bumped up the pantheon next to the Marvin and Stevie.

Heads know. Old Black Folk know. Its a wrap after that.

I doubt kids downloaded his shit after the UGK hit?

and he wrote and arranged his own albums..... he wrote for the Jackson 5 and countless others.....

can't believe he's remembered only when people mention blaxploitation soundtracks

• Larry Blackmon. For his work with Cameo but also LA Connection etc

plus he was in Black Ivory (on drums!)

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Cosign on Bill Withers and Willie Hutch.

I'd like to add Shuggie Otis - sure, he's quality but not quantity, and sure, there's music nerds who like him, but still. Feels like whenever I play one of his songs for someone into music but not record-nerdy, their jaws drop.

• Edwin Birdsong
    Brian Jackson
    Eddie Hazel

Shuggie Otis jumped from 'unknown' to music critic darling in the last 10-12 years.
    Dude gets plenty of props and doesnt have enough of a catalog do be bumped up the rating system.

DJ_Enki said:
    MC Ren. It's understandable that you'd be overshadowed by a still-hungry Ice Cube, Dr. Dre beats from when Dre was making interesting music, and the cartoon character that was Eazy-E, but still...Ren was straight-up killing shit on those NWA albums (his solo shit was kinda ) and never seems to get his due props for it.

Dudes know that Efil4gazzin is REN's shining moment.

I ride for Kizz My Black Azz