John Legend + Roots, verdict = ?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I found 2/3rds of this thing to be super tepid. Apparently, I'm in the minority for daring to dislike it. What gives?

Comments

• I'm sorry, what was the question again? I must have dozed off.

• Is there a mike james kirkland cover on it. Did I hear right?

• coolchris said:
    Is there a mike james kirkland cover on it. Did I hear right?

Yes, they cover "Hang On In There".

• Are the majority as familiar with the original versions of the covers as you are?

I know a lot of people who like it, but they don't know that "Hang on in there" is a cover.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    I found 2/3rds of this thing to be super tepid. Apparently, I'm in the minority for daring to dislike it. What gives?

This has been sitting on my kitchen counter for the last 2 weeks. I have almost zero desire to listen to it. I already know it will not hold a candle to any of the OG songs on there. File under vanity project.

• day said:
    I have almost zero desire to listen to it. .

• Options
    I haven't heard it, but I did hear someone refer to it as "the Traveling Willsmithburys," which sounded funny enough to report.

• I haven't listened to it thouroughly, but my first impressions were positive.

I'm curious what people dislike about it?

From my perspective, I think it's cool that some prominent names are bringing attention to classic cuts most people don't know.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    therecordpeddler said:

From my perspective, I think it's cool that some prominent names are bringing attention to classic cuts most people don't know.

I never thought this should be a point in making a cover.

"Hey, there's these AMAZING songs but instead of letting you hear them, why don't you check out my mediocre version of them instead!"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Perhaps when Funeral first came out, something like this might have seemed an interesting and adventurous thing for an r&b/hip-hop act to do. Now it just looks like an obvious "playing to the Pitchfuck gallery" cornball gesture.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Gag reflex in full effect.

• The music is inoffensive enough, but I just can't stomach John Legend these days.

• they thought it was gonna be: i like john legend + i like the roots = sum of likes.

unfortunately its more like: john legend is ok + i like the roots = john legend is boring with the roots.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

I have almost zero desire to listen to it. I already know it will not hold a candle to any of the OG songs on there. File under vanity project.

• DocMcCoy said:
    Perhaps when Funeral first came out, something like this might have seemed an interesting and adventurous thing for an r&b/hip-hop act to do. Now it just looks like an obvious "playing to the Pitchfuck gallery" cornball gesture.

0:48
    most sour note ever sung

• as I've dared to proclaim on here before, John Legend is a first-class cornball. Dude sounds like a bad lounge act. He is perfectly suited to Christmas Gap ads -- and nothing else. Except maybe this cornball project.

Herm said:
    day said:
    I have almost zero desire to listen to it. .

• mannybolone said:
    therecordpeddler said:

I never thought this should be a point in making a cover.

"Hey, there's these AMAZING songs but instead of letting you hear them, why don't you check out my mediocre version of them instead!"

What about:

"Hey, there's these AMAZING songs. We tried to pay homage to them by doing some covers ourselves, but you should definitely check out the original versions too!"

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    The problem is there's no emotion in any of these songs. Technically it sounds ok, but it's missing the driving force behind what makes the OG's so good.

• day said:
    The problem is there's no emotion in any of these songs. Technically it sounds ok, but it's missing the driving force behind what makes the OG's so good.

Word

• day said:

There it is.

"Hard Times" especially.

• listened to the whole thing today.

big-time meh. it's not BAD really--i wouldn't want need to turn it off it was playing in a friend's car, but i'll definitely never choose to play it of my own accord. totally mediocre.

probably the worst part about it to me is ?estlove's drumming. sooooo boring. never close to being funky or hard-hitting, and plus I personally just think the tone of his snare is a big turn off.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I'd rather just listen to ernie hines than john legend trying to do ernie hines.
    Like day say there's no soul to it.