Fall Finds

13»

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Few random things today -- including one disco 12" I've certainly never seen before and can't find any info on: LIS - Long Island Boogie - "Let's Dance". It's a one-sided 12" on Shangri-La Records. Anyone ever heard anything about it, etc? Track as a whole is meh, but the drums and recording and main groove are sort of rocking.

• Record acquisitions from New Orleans...finds, trades, and even a couple gifts/freebies from G**e of the great Breakaway Records in Austin. The Stomp record show was in a word, ridiculous. Best show Ive been to in many many years. Some records had some katrina water damage, but the vinyl cleaned up to minty. Here are the highlights. (Some of the pics are blurry because my dumb ass shot them on a glass table and it took me a minute to figure out the camera was focusing on what was underneath the glass...so you get some nice shots of our fucked up patio furniture) Also, fuck photbucket for rotating a bunch of the images and then only rotating them when you look at them in photobucket, not when you link. Photobucket sucks.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Damn Er*c! why'd I go to NOLA 3 weeks before the Stomp? I'm dumb. I did pick up that Skip Easterling "Chains" while I was there. Love the drums on that. How's that Little Willie? Still Need Crazy Stomp.

• high_c said:
    Damn Er*c! why'd I go to NOLA 3 weeks before the Stomp? I'm dumb. I did pick up that Skip Easterling "Chains" while I was there. Love the drums on that. How's that Little Willie? Still Need Crazy Stomp.
    Its was a good time, woulda been cool to see ya there
    Lil Willie:

a strange one, almost african sounding

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Record acquisitions from New Orleans...finds, trades, and even a couple gifts/freebies from G**e of the great Breakaway Records in Austin. The Stomp record show was in a word, ridiculous. Best show Ive been to in many many years. Some records had some katrina water damage, but the vinyl cleaned up to minty. Here are the highlights. (Some of the pics are blurry because my dumb ass shot them on a glass table and it took me a minute to figure out the camera was focusing on what was underneath the glass...so you get some nice shots of our fucked up patio furniture) Also, fuck photbucket for rotating a bunch of the images and then only rotating them when you look at them in photobucket, not when you link. Photobucket sucks.

nice finds man, I didn't see you at the swap but enjoyed your set at the drop.
    i had that Isleys 45 in my paw, put it back for some reason.

a few highlights from the swap:
    dorian-stacked to a t 12", sealed.

muchos plus-funky sherrif(nola/carib?) 45, lionel robinson-steppin out 45

My biggest score (not from swap)
    dome city rock orchestra- quiet village

• HairyBelafonte said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Record acquisitions from New Orleans...finds, trades, and even a couple gifts/freebies from G**e of the great Breakaway Records in Austin. The Stomp record show was in a word, ridiculous. Best show Ive been to in many many years. Some records had some katrina water damage, but the vinyl cleaned up to minty. Here are the highlights. (Some of the pics are blurry because my dumb ass shot them on a glass table and it took me a minute to figure out the camera was focusing on what was underneath the glass...so you get some nice shots of our fucked up patio furniture) Also, fuck photbucket for rotating a bunch of the images and then only rotating them when you look at them in photobucket, not when you link. Photobucket sucks.

nice finds man, I didn't see you at the swap but enjoyed your set at the drop.
    i had that Isleys 45 in my paw, put it back for some reason.

a few highlights from the swap:
    dorian-stacked to a t 12", sealed.

muchos plus-funky sherrif(nola/carib?) 45, lionel robinson-steppin out 45

My biggest score (not from swap)
    dome city rock orchestra- quiet village

thanks man, appreciate it...glad ya liked the tunes. The drop was a lot of fun.
    Im pretty sure that Isleys is a boot..too clean, but the label sure is convincing...but for 3 bucks, why not? Great song.
    I was real excited about finding the other Isleys 45 I got...Hendrix on guitar!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• this, however, was my best "find"

Woimsah said:
    Few random things today -- including one disco 12" I've certainly never seen before and can't find any info on: LIS - Long Island Boogie - "Let's Dance". It's a one-sided 12" on Shangri-La Records. Anyone ever heard anything about it, etc? Track as a whole is meh, but the drums and recording and main groove are sort of rocking.

This....

anyone know anything?

• Mostly gatherings from local connects in upstate NY, but also some internets trades, plus drips and drabs from record store shopping in Illinois, LA, Phoenix, Seattle, Missouri while traveling. All from last 6 weeks or so, combined.

^its so cool there was a group called "Strutt"

^ Uzeb is a Canadian fusion thing with moments i dig

^ its taken forever to mint up on those undisputed truths. always whipped!

^the SSS comp is mostly country/weaksauce but has some early David Allen Coe

^ polydor comp coverless, just had to have it for the vinyl. minty Little Beaver heading to Jonny for a dish warp fix.

^ turns out carl/irma brown sux, its white counrty gospel from '81.

^ 1st porter ive ever found with the clown attached.

^ Byzantium is early Chas Jankel

^ traded about $300 worth for this, had to taste the legend!

^ red cross records are a army dude in 1944 talking to his parents. its a little spooky, but he wasnt on the front, he was in camp pendleton, so not that exciting.

^ i can say without hesitation Pentagon is one of the worst albums ever made. I am a proud owner.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    Woimsah said:

This....

anyone know anything?

That looks incredibly promising, sound clip?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I like that Barbara Jean English and Ollie Nightingale, good recs.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i wasn't finding much for a good month but all it takes is one call i guess.

not really up on bootlegs but this Hendrix one is dope despite the fact it is the worst sounding pressing of any record i have ever owned

find of the year was this though. virtually unknown (at least to me and a few others i contacted about it) funk/soul EP on Spice Records. no clue where it is from or when it was made (sounds like 78-81). 5 track EP and they are basically all killers. stripped down boogie/funk that breaks down into Ayers-esque soul with heavy vibes. slow ballads with slow and funky drumming accompanied by wailing guitars and awesome vocals. i am looking into possibly reissuing this one right here. i think it is special!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    shooterali said:

Saw some crates full of chud, I decided to cherry pick and here is what I found.Mostly major label modern-soul stuff.

Doubles of that Glenn Phillips? Nice bit of private-press psych there, if it's the Snow Star pressing. John Peel used to ride hard for that record in the mid-70s, and it got a UK release solely on the back of his support.

The_Non said:
    Woimsah said:
    Woimsah said:

This....

anyone know anything?

That looks incredibly promising, sound clip?

I'll try and provide one soon enough...don't have any of my equipment hooked up at the moment...

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    its a little depressing looking at some of these finds
    karla, so many nice records
    behemoth, some awesome finds, any chance of some clips of the private?

• Great finds Behemoth!
    On the punk side of things that 'Boston not LA' comp is classic!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Spacecho said:
    Great finds Behemoth!
    On the punk side of things that 'Boston not LA' comp is classic!

cosine with actions, not words:

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

Nice one. His early shit slays. I just picked this one up for cheap and it's super heavy:

b/w

Rey, have you heard this one? Always been curious:

musica said:
    Reynaldo said:

Nice one. His early shit slays. I just picked this one up for cheap and it's super heavy:

b/w

Rey, have you heard this one? Always been curious:

Yeah, I heard that recently. It's all right--mostly straight afro-cuban percussion with a few straight jazz tracks thrown in.

• The hardest Jack Costanzo records are the "Costanzo/Tubbs" as it is UK import only, "Afro-Cuban Jazz North Of The Border" 10" LP-1954 Norgran Records, & "Latin Percussion With Soul"-1968 Tico Records-just reissued by Codigo/Fania with liner notes by me