D.R. Hooker "The Truth"

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I've heard 90% of what's in The Aechivist.

I've heard every damn rock album ever made in the U.S.

This is the one.

Side Two is sick.

Comments

• You have this? I've never heard more than the "Forge Your own Chains" track off that odd comp Now Again put out.

But I really liked that.

So the rest is good too?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    "Forge Your Own Chains" is the highlight, but the rest is totally worth it. The only realy knock on it is that it's didactic, but you've really got to listen to this.

Speaking matter-of-factly: I'm surprised that you hadn't heard this before now, R*ch, considering your overall frame of reference.

• Cosmophonic said:
    You have this? I've never heard more than the "Forge Your own Chains" track off that odd comp Now Again put out.

But I really liked that.

So the rest is good too?

Yes, top album . It gets hyped to a stupid degree by the private press psych fetishists but the whole album hangs together beautifully - it's a truly great LP IMO. His second one, Armageddon, isn't quite in the same league but still worth a listen.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    luck said:
    "
    Speaking matter-of-factly: I'm surprised that you hadn't heard this before now, R*ch, considering your overall frame of reference.

Been listening to this for 20+ years....put it on last night and it still has that magic....can't say that about too many LP's.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    Cosmophonic said:
    You have this? I've never heard more than the "Forge Your own Chains" track off that odd comp Now Again put out.

But I really liked that.

So the rest is good too?

Yes, top album . It gets hyped to a stupid degree by the private press psych fetishists but the whole album hangs together beautifully - it's a truly great LP IMO. His second one, Armageddon, isn't quite in the same league but still worth a listen.
    "Kamala" on there is so damn good.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    Cosmophonic said:

But I really liked that.

So the rest is good too?

I'm a big fan of both, but yes, The Truth is like all things right came into alignment.
    A music/life moment that will stay with me forever will be driving up the Maryland coast in sunshowers and thunderstorms listening to The Truth.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I actually give mp3s of this LP to some of my more musically inquisitive students from time to time, they always come back & say it has blown them away.

• analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
    Still hoping to find a copy of this in the field since i live less than an hour from where it was released. Best psych lp IMO

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Sounds interesting. Pulling the mp3s now...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    forge your own chains gets frequent repeat treatment in the ride but i do listen to the whole damn cd.
    i think breakself burned me a copy

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    has anybody here found this in the wild?
    would love to hear the stories.