I HATE that band/artist, but I LOVE that tune

BernedoBernedo 70 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Hi, here's a new thread where you can post that tunes that you really LIKE from bands that you really dislike. This is not a thread to say 'this band is good, and this is not', only to post that tunes that you LOVE from people that you would NEVER spend a minute listening to because they're not on your vein and you DON'T ENJOY the rest of their work.

It's like: "Hey, they were horrible, but they recorded that single that blew my mind..."

I'll start with these ones:

Wham - Everything she Wants

Leo Sayer - Easy to Love

Comments

• Does Leo Sayer count as Yacht Rock? I like that song but the voice is terrible.

Here's my choice:

(embedding's deactivated on that one)

• disco_che said:
    Does Leo Sayer count as Yacht Rock? I like that song but the voice is terrible.

Here's my choice:

(embedding's deactivated on that one)

Good choice that Queen tune! I really dislike Queen, but that tune is a good one! I really like Sayer's voice, we know that is not A VOICE, but I find it quite personal.

• Queen is a major pain in the ass just as ABBA while I can't remember just one ABBA song I happen to endure.

Barry Manilows "Copacabana" is another choice.

• Guilty pleasure on the Queen tip:

• Soul On Ice forever gives me shit about this. Man sez that if I like one or two tracks, I should Embrace The Entire Catalog. But life is short, money is too sometimes, and time is precious. Here's my collection of one- and two-timers by acts I don't really care for:

"Is She Really Going Out With Him," Joe Jackson
    "Dream On," "Sweet Emotion," Aerosmith
    "I'll Never Dance Again," Bobby Rydell
    "White Rabbit," Jefferson Airplane
    "Thirty Days In The Hole," Humble Pie
    "The Son Of Hickory Holler's Tramp," O.C. Smith
    "Can't Get Used To Losing You," Andy Williams
    "Hurdy Gurdy Man," "Catch The Wind," Donovan
    "Woman, Woman," Gary Puckett & the Union Gap
    "My Reservation's Been Confirmed," "Listen People," Herman's Hermits

• Options
    pickwick33 said:
    Soul On Ice forever gives me shit about this. Man sez that if I like one or two tracks, I should Embrace The Entire Catalog.

Senseless. I saw Freddie Patek hit 3 home runs in a game once, but it doesn't make him a Hall of Famer.

I like "Boys of Summer" but have a complete indifference to all other Henley and Eagles material.

Bryan Adams sucks but "Heaven" has a massive hook.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    PelvicDust said:

Bryan Adams sucks but "Heaven" has a massive hook.

Warrant "Heaven" > Bryan Adams "Heaven"

• *ducks head*

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    Soul On Ice forever gives me shit about this. Man sez that if I like one or two tracks, I should Embrace The Entire Catalog.

no, that's not what I say at all ... I talk about when you say the "only song you like" by a band is one well-known song by them, and I say if you like that song then I am sure you would like other things by them too. and you will say "well I have heard their other stuff and I don't like any of it" and then I get confused.

That has never meant that I don't think there are horrible songs and albums and even entire decades by artists that you otherwise like. R.E.M. 1981-1985 is one of my favorite bands of the 80's ... R.E.M. after 1988 is one of my most hated, unlistenable bands of all-time.

• SoulOnIce said:
    ... R.E.M. after 1988 is one of my most hated, unlistenable bands of all-time.

I love this one from the mid 90s but hate what came before and after

• leonleon 883 Posts

• Emebedding deactivated for this one:

Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls