Grippers buying Reel to Reels

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I'm seeing a lot of the hustlers these days on top of buying records are advertising that they buy Reel to reels too.

Are they looking for the next genius home recording or has the reel to reel market for professional recordings gotten strong all of sudden?

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    RAJ said:
    I'm seeing a lot of the hustlers these days on top of buying records are advertising that they buy Reel to reels too.

Are they looking for the next genius home recording or has the reel to reel market for professional recordings gotten strong all of sudden?

it's been strong dun

didn't you see that r to r copy of paranoid that went for like a g?

also japan man likes them for unprecedented uninterrupted flawless play back in the hot sushi spots around town

• mispost

That said, I think people are realizing computers sound like shit finally.

• double

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    A couple Craigslist ads:

We pay cash for LP Vinyl Records. We buy Rock(hard/Metal/Classic/Doowop)/Reggae/Jazz/Blues. The nicer the collection, the more we pay. We buy out small to massive collections and everything in between. We also buy Reel To Reels. (looks like mini album).

HIGHEST CA$H PAID FOR OLD VINYL RECORDS: 45s AND LPs!

WANTED: ROCK'N'ROLL, R&B AND JAZZ MUSIC FROM THE 1950s, 1960s, 1970s.

WANTED: OLD RAP & DISCO 12-INCH SINGLES.

WILL BUY REEL TO REEL TAPES & OLD CONCERT POSTERS ALSO.

CA$H PAID IMMEDIATELY AT YOUR LOCATION!!

• Many classic soul albums are available on 4-track reels with four track (or quad) separation. Want to hear the isolated drums from "The Payback?" Buy it on original Polydor reel-to-reel. I have a reel-to-reel copy of the Rhetta Hughes Light My Fire album that sounds absolutely unbelievable. And for many of the established classics where the original masters have been lost or disappeared, the issued reel is THE source for quality reissue transfers.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Next level science being dropped.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The reels always been collectable

• Back in the early 90's I was in an uber-expensive restaurant in Tokyo with my dad that had an unbelievable sound system - all the speakers custom made for the space etc. At one point the manager opened a door near our table and changed the reel on a 1" reel to reel player. When I inquired about the system he got the owner.

The system was, of course, his pride and joy and he was happy to talk about it. It seems he got, at great expense, 1" dupes straight from the masters directly from the record labels, many of which had a 'custom services' division to provide such things back in the day.

I wonder how many tapes like these are out there...

• famous story i may have told before about a japanese collector who keeps his entire collection of blue note in a pressurised acclimatised storage shelf, with sliding door. when friend asked to actually listen to the records, he laughed and pointed at a massive pile of reel to reel dupes of the lps.