NOLA food reccommendations

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
On my food itenirary so far:
charbroiled oysters at dragos
pork cheek at chochons(sp?)
muffaletta at city grocery

I'm on foot, no car, so I probably can't hit up the out of the way spots, but I'm sure there are bomb spots in the cbd, garden district, quarter I can hit up. Plaese to advise.

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

Cochon. Oh, Cochon. I had one of the best meals I've ever eaten (the ham hock with sweet potato puree and black-eyed peas in ham broth) there when I visited NOLA earlier this year. Also, when I walked in, I saw the hostess had the words "fried chicken" tattooed on her forearm in fancy script--a good omen if I ever saw one!

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Restaurant August if you're a

http://www.restaurantaugust.com/

• Sure, August if you ball. If not, tho, try his (John Besh) pub at the Hilton in the cbd, Luke.
    Good, interesting food for reasonable prices.

Skip Central Gro and head to Verdi Marte on Royal in the quarter.
    Also in the quarter, hit up Evelines(sp?) on Decatur right by HOB.
    Super divey hole-in-wall bar with some of the best gumbo Ive had in NOLA.
    Herbsaint in CBD for a baller dinner, same dude as Cochon.
    Don't sleep on Cochon's lunch spot next door, Butcher. Next-level sandwiches.
    Have fun!

• The_Hook_Up said:
    On my food itenirary so far:
    charbroiled oysters at dragos
    muffaletta at city grocery

I went to NOLA a few weeks ago and hit those spots. I'll tell you one thing, apart from the charbroiled oysters at Drago's, which were great, the rest of the food was pretty lackluster. Both Cochon and CG were great.

I liked Felix's in the quarter, their raw oysters were really fresh, and they had the best bloody mary I had on my trip.

A lot of people talk up Mama's for po'boys, we tried to go but the line was really long. We were also told good things about the Rampart St. Food Store's po'boys, but didn't have time to go.

All in all we had a great time in NOLA, it is a truely unique and amazing city, can't wait to go back.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    GV- Agreed that the menu at Drago's is average overall but the Oysters are worth the trip alone and some dishes (Shucky Ducky comes to mind) are above average.

As far as August goes, Nola has so many great restaurants that unless you live there August should not be a first time visit spot....sorta like going straight for Stark Reality without ever hearing James Brown.

Mother's is kinda touristy and gets the long lines, but if you do go there check out the "Debris" poorboy as it's meat lovers heaven.....the Nola equivilent to K.C.'s "burnt ends"

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Everyone and their mom rants and raves about Cochon so my expectations were set pretty high. In the end I thought it was really good but not mind-blowingly so and perhaps a little over-hyped.

The best food I had there was some bar food at a place we just randomly strolled into without any prior recommendation. Anybody ride for the steak n green beans at Coop's? That shit blew my mind. Ya know when you get all giddy, and just kinda laugh to your self after each ridiculously delicious bite? Yeah, that steak, try it.

• high_c said:
    Everyone and their mom rants and raves about Cochon so my expectations were set pretty high. In the end I thought it was really good but not mind-blowingly so and perhaps a little over-hyped.

BOOOOOOOOO.

I knew you didn't party.

Jokes aside, the hype is pretty thick.
    Oh, and I forgot to add Dookey Chase and Willie Mae's Scotch House.
    A quick cab will get ya there.

[Willie Mae's Scotch House.
    A quick cab will get ya there.

Fried Chicken here is great.

• vinylstalker said:
    Skip Central Gro and head to Verdi Marte on Royal in the quarter.

Verdi Marte burned down in a fire earlier this year. Ain't dere no more. I know, I know...very sad (although to be fair, it had gone way downhill after Katrina)

all of the other recommendations are good. a couple I've never heard mentioned though, like the Rampart St po-boys or Evelines gumbo.

Herbsaint is probably my favorite if you're going to ball.

You wanted brunch recs too right?

Here are some favorites: Elizabeth's would probably be my top rec (known for their awesome praline bacon, plus the new Euclid Records store is now just a block away from it, convenient for getting a lil digging in), Cake Cafe & Bakery, Stanley, Surrey's, Ruby Slipper.

Also, if you're around on Sunday one of my top recommendations for folks from out of town is the Maple Leaf Bar uptown on Sunday nights. legendary spot. for $8 you get 2 sets of wolfman washington, joe krown, & russell batiste doing good soul/blues/jazz + 2 rounds of what i think is the best seafood boil in the city. they'd be doing shrimp right now, and they also throw in a lot of crazy meats. last time i went there was a whole hog's head, pig's feet, cornish hens, quail eggs, boudin, and pork chops all thrown in the boil. one time i went someone brought in a live rabbit--they put it to rest, butchered it, and put the meat in the boil. deeeeelicious. real NOLA shit, highly recommended.

• E, I'm Jealous, wish I could make it out. I think this the first year I'll miss the stomp. A few spots you might hit are:

Parkway Bakery for the Po boy, good gumbo, nice bartenders. (You need some transportation for this place)

Casamentos for oysters, say whats up to Mike the shucker at the counter.

you can walk to fiorella's for fried chicken, great bloody mary too, ( They changed owners a few years ago, still great in my opinion (pool table at the bar next door)

The late night spot for us has always been Quarter Masters. It's just a grocery but they make great sandwiches and have ice cold beer.

I would have recommended Uglesichs, however they closed a few years back. They recently started catering and have parties at the restaurant. I hope I can get some people together for next years stomp to have a party at the restaurant, though this seemed like the year to do that.

Oh yeah, when I went last month Willie Fugal hipped me to some spots (music, food, drink) and all dude's recommendations were excellent! Although we did misinterpret one of his suggestions and ended up in a gay sports bar. My lady and I sure did get some funny looks walking into that place. Police Academy Blue Oyster style :

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Seems like I never get to go out to eat when I visit NOLA as my peeps are always cooking in their kitchens/backyards.

• Verdi Marte burned down in a fire earlier this year. Ain't dere no more. I know, I know...very sad (although to be fair, it had gone way downhill after Katrina).

This is horrible news. I first found that place in the mid-90's looking for a spot to
    get a 4am sandwich after djing crappy raves at the State Palace.
    Hadn't been there since I guess January of this year.
    So many memories.
    Sob.

Oh, and Crepe Nanou(sp?) on Frenchman is a good brunch spot, crepes, obviously, as well
    as The Collumns on St. Charles on Sunday. Jazz, free mimosas, porch dining.

• Major co-sign on charbroiled oysters from Drago's and po'boys from Parkway Bakery.

Also, go for a seafod boil at The Galley.

• Gumbo from liuzza's by the track.

• high_c said:
    Oh yeah, when I went last month Willie Fugal hipped me to some spots (music, food, drink) and all dude's recommendations were excellent! Although we did misinterpret one of his suggestions and ended up in a gay sports bar. My lady and I sure did get some funny looks walking into that place. Police Academy Blue Oyster style :

lol! what happened? glad you enjoyed everything!

Bar on the corner of Elysian Fields and something not far away from frenchman st... wrong bar. Jean Pauls? We realized our mistake right away... er or right after we ordered a drink anyway so we took em to go.

But really enjoyed Mimi's for French modern soul night and Carousel bar and well really everything... thanks again for the tips!

• Meal #1 down...had a debris and red beans and rice at Mother's....good lookin out Rich

• Just finished a dozen charbroiled oysters at drago's...and promptly ordered a second dozen...wow

The_Hook_Up said:
    Just finished a dozen charbroiled oysters at drago's...and promptly ordered a second dozen...wow

Glad you got to experience this. I've hyped and over-hyped Drago's oysters to more people than I can remember....and I know most of them thought there was no way they could be as good as I said they were....and each and every one of them have come back to me and said they were even better than my hype.....one dude from Cali sucked down 8 dozen.

But if Uglesich's was still open..................

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I ate the most expensive meal I've ever had at Dominiques (now La Meritage at the Maison Dupuy Hotel) on Toulouse St.

Those oysters at Drago's are really something.