Where is this lyric from? (not the obvious google answer-R)

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
A friend asks:
heard a track in a bar with the vocal hook "Sit back, relax and listen to the 8-track".

Did some googling and the only track that comes up with results is "I'm Diggin' You (Like an Old Soul Record)" by Me'Shell NdegeOcello. I have played that track and although it's got the right lyrics but the track is too fast. The one I heard was much more chilled out and laid back and I wonder if someone has taken a sample of the lyrics and made a new tune?

...Or it could be Me'Shell copped the line from an older record?

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Only cover that seems to pop up is this Geoffrey Williams one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Move-Into-Soul-Geoffrey-Williams/dp/B001ECE5MC

No full track but snippet on the Amazon page.

On a side note I'd entirely forgotten about the existence of that Me'Shell album. Wonder if it's worth digging out.

Suspect not. :down:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    Me'Shell

Au contraire, Pierre. It's her finest work. Fiercely funky. An amazing debut, IMHO.

• oui je suis d'accord. me'shell in da gay ol' cello = amaze.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    Junior said:
    Geoffrey Williams

Hey. He concurs that this is the one. Props A*i - It didn't occur to me that anyone would cover this. (I can't hear streaming media at work so can't comment on whether he did it justice or not, but unless it has a wig-out guitar snippet a-la the Dave Fiuczynski OG I am not f*in interested.

I do recall an all-female jazz ensemble called "Straight Ahead" covered "Step Into The Projects" which wasn't as bad as it sounds on paper.

I've been playing bass for 22 years and I rate her as one of the best I've ever heard, just for the phrasing. I am not concerned with masturbatory solos which the electric instrument facilitates too easily, there is no music in that. I always tell a foll to check this set - the way she stretches the vocals and bass notes around the beats on this set makes my w*lly hard.

The "Peace" set has it's moments, "Bittersweet" and "Faggot" are perfect, but it was all downhill for me after that. Too insular and downbeat for me. She done sliced off her own ear.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Excellent, I will go back and recheck Me'Shell, I'm so used to stuff from that period not living up to revisits that it would be a more than pleasant experience to have the opposite occur. Can't say I did ever check anything she did after that album, such a fickle listener am I.

Flicked through the Geoffrey and it sounds harmless, polished, and entirely forgettable.