any ways to get light skips outta records?

BruceGeetzBruceGeetz 97 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I feel like a newb record head asking this question, but I'd like to see if anybody has any methods, or if its at all possible.

I spin the part of the record with skip back n forth with my ortofon concordes and that knocks skips out often, but I'm assuming that's just knocking out really hard-to-get dust from the groove.

I just bought this afrique soul makossa/hot mud 45 and didn't notice a slight skip in the beginning, its one of those fine hairline type scratches going in the direction of the groove, but its very short.

Comments

• I've put a few coins on the toner arm and such to put a little pressure on the needle and some times that will work it through. But I'm sure this is probably not good for the toner arm, the needle, or the record.

• sewing needle, magnifying glass, a steady hand and patience may do the trick

• That's some risky shit.

"Okay, now rotate it 20 degrees clockwise and give me 20cc of Isophoric Alcohol. Get that cat out of here!"

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Put the needle on the record just past the skip then slowly spin the record backwards to get the needle to cut back through the skip. After a few tries you can sometimes re-align the groove enough to get it to play through. You may need to adjust the tonearm weight to apply more weight on the needle.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    billbradley said:
    Put the needle on the record just past the skip then slowly spin the record backwards to get the needle to cut back through the skip. After a few tries you can sometimes re-align the groove enough to get it to play through. You may need to adjust the tonearm weight to apply more weight on the needle.

i've done this a few times to great success.

• billbradley said:

I'm gonna try this when I get home from work. Thanks

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    BruceGeetz said:
    billbradley said:

I'm gonna try this when I get home from work. Thanks

It works most of the time for me.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    in this order

1) As previously mentioned, play skip backwards and then forward 5-6 times.
    2) If this fails, THEN put 2-3 quarters or centavos or shillings on your headshell and repeat step one. Note that this can cause audible cue burn on the record but cue burn > skip.
    3) Get sewing needle (or sharp pushpin as I do) and ever so lightly place it in the groove near the affected area and move it down the groove and over the skip. It takes a little practice but once perfected can be very effective. I remember an early attempt I fucked up one of those Soft Soul Transition records doing this. Shit ended up skipping in two place instead of one but I still sold that fuckin shit to marcofunk for like 3 bills or some shit. fuck.

• billbradley said:

This worked, thanks!