Fall Finds

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
that cbc record is by kenny wheeler and is solid.. some strutter (i think it was big chan) , hipped me to the james vincent record which has some really spectacular fusion parts and i see is available cheap on ebay. the edwin hawkins has a decent version of "jesus children of america" that i think some of you guys might be into. that "boogaloo in apt 41" album might be the gateway album that leads me into collecting boogaloo records.

check back in a bit and i'll rip a couple of things...

Comments

• so here are some rips:

1. kenny wheeler quintet- "blues news"

2. Ozzie Torrens- "Mia's Boogaloo"

3. Art Pepper- "Red Car"

4. Edwin Hawkins - "Jesus Children of America"

5. James Vincent- "Controlled Folly"

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    cool, thanks!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Stereo'd up:

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    That Fantastic Violinaires fooled me when I found it. Such a promising looking cover...

• How's The Soul of Nigger Charlie No*h? I've always wondered about that one but I've never come across a copy. Nice find on the Lawrence of Newark LP. Although he isn't credited I think Pharoah Sanders is on that.

Nailed some looong time wants recently,... been after a clean Samba Tropi for a minute. Thanks Bruno for the the Ingman LP, one LP that can be judged by it's cover.

• hey man. "soul of nigger charlie" is pretty decent (but far from mind blowing) moody big band blaxploitation and should be copped if you can find it for under 15 bucks.

nice scores btw, esp. on "big beat".

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    a little bit of flea activity yielded these mixed finds.. been a while since i pulled library recs out of a fleamarket, from a box with a combination of unplayed library and russian melodia albums tied to the olympics.. bagged a melodia ensemble lp (not in the pic), where they do funk sleeze cover versions of russian folk songs

east euro progness

few of these still in shrink

bottom two, early very clean orig pressings

wings of africa is pretty awesome..

and the 45s

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Stereo'd up:

You got a mono for sale now? Holler.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I do like those Jam sleeves.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

That Brazil joint is top shelf. Was used for Sound of The Police.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Aye Upskiboo (or anyone in the know) How's that Blodwyn Pig record?? I got some of their other stuff and wasn't too impressed. Not all out disappointed either. I've passed on this one a few times.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Keep passin' unless dirt cheap.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    First pic is all 10"

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    mannybolone said:

Like!

Breez said:
    Aye Upskiboo (or anyone in the know) How's that Blodwyn Pig record?? I got some of their other stuff and wasn't too impressed. Not all out disappointed either. I've passed on this one a few times.

yeah def only cop if dirty cheap, and i have no idear what pressings are floating around in the US... i'd only pick up UK origs, pulled another one of theirs last year entitled Getting To This with a pretty cool album drawn cover, these two joints are both dated around 1970, and are your typical mix of UK progressive rock blues, heavy on the guitar, with some jazzy touches like flute and sax, they have a tendency to do uptempo blues rocky jams which i dont like much, but still theres long stretches of instrumental stuff, and they seem to put soul into what they are doing.. overall though not really my cup!

• Here are my finds:

First two are from MVE using trade credit.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jayme Marques - Spanish jazz features a great version of Sammy Nestico's Dark Orchid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM_Sa_uD3wI

Kisa Magnusson - Blue Eyes - Features a nine minute version of the Doris tune Don't

The rest are from Olympia. First time for me yesterday. Got there clsoe to twelve so didn't have high hopes but ended up getting some amazing records.

Pleased to pick up a cheap copy of Dolly Catcher to complete the Schroeder collection.

This came from the Dutch guys stall, nice Euro funky pop jazz.

These two came from the same stall.

The Yvonne Gray is a US private press jazz thing with a couple of great funky vocal tracks (spare)

Been after the Roy Porter for a while, did this get reissued or booted? Hard to tell as the original is from '84 I believe. This could be the bargain of the day??

These last six were all from a friend who is liquidating the most amazing collection I ever saw and and really great prices.

Sun Ra - Cosmos
    Sun Ra - The Other Side of the Sun

I've always avoided Ra's output as the stuff I had heard up to now was always too far out there for me, these two are great though with the last having am amazing version of Space is the Place.

Gary Bartz - Singerella - Funky spiritual jazz

Joe Thomas and the Ebony Godfather - Great funky flute jazz

Lloyd McNeill - Great in demand and recently reissued spiritual jazz.

Sandie Shaw - Reviewing the Situation - Could not resist picking up a spare of this LP as I never see it around.

• skel said:

Congrats on the Witch Hunt, where did you find it?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    A copy freed up from a personal stash by the recent reissue of the material I believe.

Been after it for some while. Cost a penny, not top dollar but not bottom either.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    mannybolone said:

Great record too, killer find mate.

:killin_it:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    After my wonderful wedding
    a gift wrapped LP=Tabua de esmeralda
    long time want and our favorite album

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    doblepost

• At Illmod.... that version of Spce is the Place is simply awesome, it's as breakbeat as Ra gets, great find.

• llmod1 said:

Been after the Roy Porter for a while, did this get reissued or booted? Hard to tell as the original is from '84 I believe.

Original Roy Porter "In A Groove" copies have a heavy pasted back cover. There was a 90's repress that came out with a thinner cover minus the paste back.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    2 pulls from the Arbutus Show today. I'll upload the rest when I get back home. I pulled some real heat and didn't spend much cash.

• Neighbor was out selling her old 45's...

Eagles - Rasta Harvest
    Ethopians - No Baptism
    Prince Jazzbo - Crime don't Pay
    John Holt-Stick by Me
    Clancy Eccles - Open Up
    Jackie Paris - Run for Your Life
    Heptones - Fattie Fattie
    Heptones - Country Boy
    Black Eagles - Shock Them
    KC White - Peace of Mind
    Boris Gardner - Happiness
    Hopeton Lewis - Grooving out on Life
    Derrick Harriott - Bombshell
    Derrick Harriott - Have you Seen Her
    Prince Buster - Wine and Grine
    Prince Buster - Wreck a Pum Pum
    Ernie Smith - Bend Down
    Culture - See Them
    Delroy Wilson - So Long
    Delroy Wilson - Im your Puppet
    Delroy Wilson - Mother Nature
    Pioneers - Papa was a Rolling Stone
    Dave Barker - Lock Jaw
    Jean Wells - Try Me and See
    Innercircle - Reggae Train

• Picked up a very nice collection of reggae/rocksteady/ska that originally belonged to a Jamaican DJ in my city. 200 45's and most in pretty great shape for a Jamaican collection. I've hardly had anytime to go through it, but here's some early highlights.

and a bunch more Half Moon and Canadian reggae stuff

Plus a bunch of blanks that I've got to start investigating. So far:
    Skatalites - Guns of Navarone
    Tommy McCook - Liquidator
    Ken Boothe - It's Because I'm Black

Plus great stuff from the record show I put together:
    Roger Rodier
    Can - Monster Movie (UK Press)
    Some great psych reissues and other goodness

It was a great weekend for records.