Anthony Pearson in the new Dwell Magazine.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
It's a blood shitter!

*These pics are from the architects' site. The actual magazine has a pic of the wall of Waxidermy raer.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    SO PINA'ED

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    That Chemosphere guest house and pool are retarded cool. Wasnt that house in Sleeper?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    DrWu said:
    That Chemosphere guest house and pool are retarded cool. Wasnt that house in Sleeper?

Most of Lautners work is super ill!

• Fat pockets related... I wanna see the Waxidermy raer wall

• hcrink said:
    SO PINA'ED

they left out the basement photos of six assistants grinding out auction lists.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I got to see Anthony's place when he had a "open house" for it, celebrating its completion. His architects are now hot shit but he hired them when they were still trying to make a name for themselves. The whole house is very Dwell-esque, which is to say, modern out the wazoo and very "clean". I did find the use of concrete a bit cold but I'm more of a wood paneling guy so...

Seriously though? His living room/backyard combo is face-melting. One of the most kick ass views I've ever seen in Los Angeles, a 180+ degree vista looking out on the entire LA basin towards the east. Mar Vista is kind of a sleeper neighborhood in that regard - it doesn't have massive hills but the few they do have are completely unobstructed by competing ridges to either the east or west.

leon said:
    DrWu said:

Most of Lautners work is super ill!

True that. My wife wrote a story for the LA Times involving Lautner's Sheats-Goldstein House and got to visit the property during the photo shoot. She said it was pretty fucking crazy (as well James Goldstein who owns the house these days): http://www.flickr.com/photos/daryen/sets/72157620092021778/

More on Goldstein. If you're an NBA fanatic, you've seen him at some point: http://www.interviewmagazine.com/culture/james-goldstein/

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Is there a pic of the window-doors closed from the patio? That house is mindmelting.
    Bringing the outdoors into the interior without actually doing it. Opening the whole house to natural ventilation is key.
    What a house.

Burns said:
    Is there a pic of the window-doors closed from the patio? That house is mindmelting.
    Bringing the outdoors into the interior without actually doing it. Opening the whole house to natural ventilation is key.
    What a house.

The window-doors are very slick engineering in terms of how they slide into the wall (or maybe they folded? I actually can't remember). But what's so genius about the design (and you can sort of see this in the photos) is that the living room widens as you walk towards the back, thus creating this "frame" effect when you're standing by the front door. After visiting AP's spot, I started thinking about how to create the same effect and to me, the main architectural challenge: no support beams along that whole side of the house. If I recall, AP's house was rebuilt from practically the studs up so they probably found ways to get around not having any vertical beams there but I imagine you can't just walk into any house and knock out an entire 30 foot wall.

The only real downside to the design is just being open to nature; if you don't like bugs in your house, this probably isn't the design for you though maybe AP will make a raer reapparance to share whether ass-burning bugs are infiltrating.

• Actual Dwell article is online now:

http://www.dwell.com/articles/windows-vista.html

• :oh_snap: :oh_snap: :oh_snap:

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Nice. Real nice.

• The Open floor plan + indoor/outdoor seamlessness is outstanding. Quite an Inspiring remodel.

Question AP if you're reading this. Is that a Nanawall or panda doors or something else? Bonelli? Curious what you used.

Also, Is that one of those woven Wegner chairs on the patio? Drool.

Herm said:
    Actual Dwell article is online now:

http://www.dwell.com/articles/windows-vista.html

GAME OVER KIDS.

Better not show this to my daughter: "hey Daddy, how come there's no carpet and teepee in your record room?"

• Wow, I've had this issue for a couple days but somehow didn't see that spread. Congrats Anthony, that's a hell of a domicile.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I must say that is very pleasing to the eye. And the view, my gd.
    Must also mention the classy Beemer.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    :woah:

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    So ill. I love it. Now the REAL question: did he do all of this just from peddling used records?! Spill the beans A.P.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Herm said:

So...I am wondering why the architect or AP had the floors sloped? Or the carpenter is just playing tricks with me on the bottom piece of that glorious record shelf. Thes One mishap? Measure twice, cut once.

• Burns said:
    mannybolone said:
    Herm said:

So...I am wondering why the architect or AP had the floors sloped? Or the carpenter is just playing tricks with me on the bottom piece of that glorious record shelf. Thes One mishap? Measure twice, cut once.

mr. burns in deep concentration

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It could be the walls that are slanted; more likely than the foundation.

• The Slope: Could be the records are in what was once the garage.

Nice house and it warms my heart to know that I amongst other members of the record buying community helped finance it.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    The Slope: Could be the records are in what was once the garage.

your right, garage floors are required by building code to slope away from the house.

Thes One mishap?/quote]

BEEF!

Seriously though, if the floor was already on a slope (which makes sense), how would you correct that with a baseboard? A series of precision, graduated verts hidden behind that baseboard?

• how much do you have to throw down for a crib like AP's?

analog_tape said:
    how much do you have to throw down for a crib like AP's?

A grip of blood shitters

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DeeRock said:
    So ill. I love it. Now the REAL question: did he do all of this just from peddling used Kenny Rankin records?! Spill the beans A.P.

• I'm feelin' that Mark Grotjahn raer...

• I need record shelving like that in my life. If you build it, they will fill-up.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    We need to step our game up... Me and wifey gunning for Dwell 2011 haha.

Real sweet crib though. West Hollywood? Sweet.