Scariest Job Ever

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
NO. FRIGGIN. WAY

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    that looks impossible.

I tried to crew up with a friend one summer who made a bunch of money pressure washing fancy peoples' fancy homes' cedar shake roofs. Three stories up was too much for me, with our anchors just being ropes crisscrossed back and forth across the top of the roof's crown, tucked under alternating shakes. The idea was that when you fell (which you eventually would), your rope would pop out a few shingles, and you'd hopefully be left dangling above the ground. On every roof, there were spots where it just wasn't time-effective or it was nearly impossible to do it safely, and the dudes would be just hanging out there for a minute or two.

I lasted that first day, but just barely.

1500 feet up a radio tower? I agree: scariest (non-military) job ever! NO. FRICKIN. WAY.

wow

• :oof:

x1000

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    reminds me of this:

I remember (hazily) a sunrise at the top of these towers at Seattle's Gasworks Park...but these dudes are on le levelle nexte for sure...yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I know i have to confront my fears. Watching this clip is one of them.
    :ahhh:

• a friend of mine does simlar maintenance. he was telling me a story over the weekend about a time when he accidently dropped a screw driver. fell on his bosses front windsheild and just shattered the thing. can't image if that hit a human...

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Good thing they are wearing helmets!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My palms are all sweaty and my stomach is nauseous. Thanks a lot!

I had a friend who did this for maintenance of the KBOOs tower.
    But that wasn't enough for him, late 70s, early 80s this was.
    HE also climbed bridges.
    He climbed to the top of Portland's Fremont bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge, and did other dare devil trespass.

The most spectacular was trespassing on Mt St Helens back when it erupted. Fortunately he was not on the mountain the day it blew, but was close enough to get some of the best photos. He was the first person up the mountain after the explosion and got photos of the crater glowing which ran in National Geo.

Can't find his photos on line. I knew him as Pooh.

• behemoth said:
    NO. FRIGGIN. WAY

man this was hard to watch. I have a slight (okay maybe major) fear of heights, but I didn't think a mere video clip could evoke the kind of reaction I had to watching this!

Is it just me or at 4:10 does dude look like he's not quite sure how to do this?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    behemoth said:
    NO. FRIGGIN. WAY

man this was hard to watch. I have a slight (okay maybe major) fear of heights, but I didn't think a mere video clip could evoke the kind of reaction I had to watching this!

Is it just me or at 4:10 does dude look like he's not quite sure how to do this?

i keep thinking there has to be an easier and safer way. i seriously got dizzy watching the video and when he gets to the top i am literally shaking with fear.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    If I had this job, this would be my diary entry on the first day of work:

"Shit pants in sheer terror. Quit job. Need to find earthbound employment and new pants."

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    The best part is his safety rope is old and starting to fray.

• Damn, they pulled the clip.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Damn, they pulled the clip.

http://www.theonlineengineer.org/TheOLEBLOG/

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    My palms got sweaty watching that. I feel like such a wuss.

• Options
    Almond said:
    My palms got sweaty watching that. I feel like such a wuss.

You are absolutely not a wuss! That's crap. You are the strongest person I know on the strut. So strong I cannot describe it.

• hahahahahaha :comedy_gold:

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    "So, do you guys, like, drug test and shit?"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    behemoth said:
    NO. FRIGGIN. WAY

I couldn't even reach the two-minute mark before the panic started to rise and I had to turn it off. There is no way on earth I could ever do that. Definitely made me reassess how strong my fear of heights is.