NYC Dining Suggestions

2»

Comments

• also plaese to understand that "Cajun" is different than "New Orleans" cuisine, although the distinction has popularly been butchered comme une vache.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    c'est clair!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I have just a few comments...

Any particular reason you're going to Staten Island? That's somewhat of a time consuming and slightly unpleasant trip. If you're going to see fam or friends than that makes sense, but if it's just to walk around, etc, I'd allocate that time elsewhere. Beside, Wu Wear shut down years ago! (hehe) Governor's Island is kinda cool -- might be good substitute. Or heck, even do Ellis Island and try and look up Lady Liberty's skirt.

All restaurants reccos are looking good. Five Points I've never had for lunch, I have been to Hundred Acres though (owned by same folks) and they have stellar brunch (smoked salmon platter is what time it is).

I would also consider working in Corner Bistro into the mix, if you're going to be downtown anyway, for lunch. However, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to eat all this, as my reccos equal a shit ton of food.

If you do go to BK, La Superior in Williamsburgh is HIGHLY recommended. Dirt cheap, and some of the best mexican food I've had, in NY no less (and I'm from west coast). That way, you can hit Academy BK as well, should it tickle your fancy.

• Woimsah said:

Any particular reason you're going to Staten Island? That's somewhat of a time consuming and slightly unpleasant trip. If you're going to see fam or friends than that makes sense, but if it's just to walk around, etc, I'd allocate that time elsewhere. Beside, Wu Wear shut down years ago! (hehe) Governor's Island is kinda cool -- might be good substitute. Or heck, even do Ellis Island and try and look up Lady Liberty's skirt.

All restaurants reccos are looking good. Five Points I've never had for lunch, I have been to Hundred Acres though (owned by same folks) and they have stellar brunch (smoked salmon platter is what time it is).

I would also consider working in Corner Bistro into the mix, if you're going to be downtown anyway, for lunch. However, I'm not sure how easy it'll be to eat all this, as my reccos equal a shit ton of food.

If you do go to BK, La Superior in Williamsburgh is HIGHLY recommended. Dirt cheap, and some of the best mexican food I've had, in NY no less (and I'm from west coast). That way, you can hit Academy BK as well, should it tickle your fancy.

I think the point of the trip to SI is just the boat trip there and back. Trust me, its faster than any of the other alternatives because there is no buying tickets or waiting in line. It's not unpleasant. You get off the boat turn around ang get right back on. It takes one hour for the round trip.

• willie_fugal said:
    have any of y'all been to this spot Mara's? http://www.marashomemade.com/

i've never been, but i've met the owners here in NOLA and it definitely sounded legit.

I went a few times when it had just opened and it was good. The owner/chef is from Arkansas. They had a cheese grits with bacon, shrimp, and chives brunch plate that was great. The fried alligator bites were also good. I do remember it being a little expensive for what it was, but as far as cajun restaurants in the city go, this was the best.

sabadabada said:
    Woimsah said:

I think the point of the trip to SI is just the boat trip there and back. Trust me, its faster than any of the other alternatives because there is no buying tickets or waiting in line. It's not unpleasant. You get off the boat turn around ang get right back on. It takes one hour for the round trip.

Ya, that's why I say Governor's Island. Less time consuming, get to walk around a bit on the island, shorter boat ride, same effect, yada.

And Sab -- actually recommending San Gennaro??? That's just cruel, man.

• Woimsah said:
    And Sab -- actually recommending San Gennaro??? That's just cruel, man.

Misery enjoys company. But really, if you go during the day before the mooks from SI and Jersey show up and only go a block or two just so you can say you did? Comeon? Wasamatterwityou?

• I'm psyched because we are going to baptise the boy in the church where they filmed the baptism scene from The Godfather on the final Sunday of San Gennaro.

sabadabada said:
    I'm psyched because we are going to baptise the boy in the church where they filmed the baptism scene from The Godfather on the final Sunday of San Gennaro.

Well, I hope he's a masculine one.

• Woimsah said:
    sabadabada said:
    I'm psyched because we are going to baptise the boy in the church where they filmed the baptism scene from The Godfather on the final Sunday of San Gennaro.

Well, I hope he's a masculine one.

And I'm not even I-Talian.

• I'm heading to NYC in a month or two and would definitely be into checking out whatever you folks are recommending here. I have yet to venture to DiFaras, which is apparently an absolute institution. Also wondering if any of you might be able to speak on whether this dude has any idea what he's talking about:

http://www.alifewortheating.com/

plenty of non-NY reviews, but I'd be interested to know if anyone here has any idea if this dude knows what he's talking about?